• Re: Talking to Forth Target via Putty SSH on PC Through rPi

From Marc Petremann@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 9 04:01:20 2022
    Hello,
    The alternative I successfully use for FlashForth and ESP32Forth is called myFFshell....
    Link: https://esp32.arduino-forth.com/article/installation_myFFshell
    myFFshell works on Windows:
    - accept nested files thanks to the include directive
    - do not pass comment lines
    Best regards

Le mardi 15 mars 2022 à 05:33:51 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com a écrit :
    I somehow got into a conversation in another group about developing code on a target which is located remotely from my office (another part of the house, not through the Internet). I use an rPi next to the target, connected via a USB serial cable. The
    rPi and my laptop are on the same network through the router.

On the PC I believe I was running either Putty or ExtraPutty using the SSH protocol to give me access to the command line on the rPi. I don't recall for sure what I ran on the rPi, but I think it was minicom.

I think everyone here would understand that the Forth target (Mecrisp) has no file system and the compiler is in the target. That's a hard point to convey to people who aren't familiar with Forth. So to compile, I would have Putty or ExtraPutty dump
    the contents of the source file to the target. Again, people really get confused about this, thinking I have to transfer files to the rPi and compile there.

I think I have adequately communicated the setup now. However, someone insists that Putty and ExtraPutty have no ability to transfer the file this way, as a dump through what looks to Putty like a serial port. In fact, he is saying this is impossible
    to do over SSH.

I don't have the setup handy to mess with. I don't even have Putty installed on this PC. I only give up and buy a new PC when the old one dies. lol So the old software gets installed when I need it and I'm not there yet with this application.

So is this guy wrong, and he still doesn't understand how the setup is working? Or is my brain fried and I never did what I recall doing?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Brian Fox@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 9 07:16:03 2022
    On Saturday, April 9, 2022 at 7:01:21 AM UTC-4, mpetre...@gmail.com wrote:

Oh I like the sound of myFFshell.
    I wrote something like this 30 years on DOS for development on MaxForth boards.

Merci beaucoup.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)