• Re: SPI Slave clock

From littlewing@21:1/5 to khan on Fri Nov 24 14:47:16 2023
    On 10/11/2023 06:47 AM, khan wrote:
    Hello i am writing code for spi slave module and i want to use only SCK provided by master block. I mean dont want to use system clock in Slave. So when write sequential logics can i write
    always@(posedge SCK)
    is it right as this is a slower (serial) clock povided by masters.

I wrote a spi slave in VHDL clocked by SCK. You have to pay attention to several issues:

1. Yes for best performance you clock your SPI slave with the incoming SCK. But since the SCK is in general asynchronous with respect to your system clock, the signals communicating to your system must be synchronized with several stages. You must
    have TX & RX FIFOs, and the TX-read & RX-write signals must be synced to the system clock and trimmed to one clock cycle.

2. For simplicity, support just one SPI mode, say Mode 0 (CPHA=0 & CPOL=0). In that mode, the SPI slave engine clocks on the rising edge of SCK; you strobe in the incoming MOSI on the rising edge. You have to correct the outgoing MISO with a latch so
    it changes values on the falling edge of SCK per the SPI spec.

3. You asynchronously reset your bit counter using the de-assertion of SPISEL. That part's no problem. What may be an issue is: you must asynchronously load your shifter, else your first word will not be issued correctly. Your synthesizer may not
    support asynchronous loads.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Fawad khan Yousufzai@21:1/5 to littlewing on Fri Nov 24 20:43:59 2023
    On Saturday, 25 November 2023 at 04:47:22 UTC+9, littlewing wrote:
    On 10/11/2023 06:47 AM, khan wrote:
    Hello i am writing code for spi slave module and i want to use only SCK provided by master block. I mean dont want to use system clock in Slave. So when write sequential logics can i write
    always@(posedge SCK)
    is it right as this is a slower (serial) clock povided by masters.
    I wrote a spi slave in VHDL clocked by SCK. You have to pay attention to several issues:

1. Yes for best performance you clock your SPI slave with the incoming SCK. But since the SCK is in general asynchronous with respect to your system clock, the signals communicating to your system must be synchronized with several stages. You must have
    TX & RX FIFOs, and the TX-read & RX-write signals must be synced to the system clock and trimmed to one clock cycle.

2. For simplicity, support just one SPI mode, say Mode 0 (CPHA=0 & CPOL=0). In that mode, the SPI slave engine clocks on the rising edge of SCK; you strobe in the incoming MOSI on the rising edge. You have to correct the outgoing MISO with a latch so
    it changes values on the falling edge of SCK per the SPI spec.

3. You asynchronously reset your bit counter using the de-assertion of SPISEL. That part's no problem. What may be an issue is: you must asynchronously load your shifter, else your first word will not be issued correctly. Your synthesizer may not
    support asynchronous loads.
    Hy!
    Good day! Thankyou for your reply. I have implemented the design and its working now i am trying to verify it on ZYNQ ZCU104 board. Thankyou for your reply.
    regards,
    Fawad

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)