• Re: The de facto end of comp.lang.postscript

From Marc Olschok@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 24 20:53:02 2024
    On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:17:02 jdaw1 wrote:
    Google:

Effective from 22 February 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear.

In effect, this will be the end of comp.lang.postscript. I’ve been here since 2006, and have received much help here, always courteous and competent. Thank you.

Even though only a few of us remain, should we have a online video commemoration, to raise a toast to the passing of an elderly friend?

What is wrong with using an ordinary newsclient?

--
    M.O.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From news@zzo38computer.org.invalid@21:1/5 to jdawiseman@gmail.com on Wed Jan 24 16:47:05 2024
    jdaw1 <jdawiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
    Effective from 22 February 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new content from Usenet peers will not appear.

In effect, this will be the end of comp.lang.postscript. I've been here
    since 2006, and have received much help here, always courteous and competent.

That isn't the end of Usenet. It means that it is no longer on Google. (There are other Usenet providers. I don't use Google.) (There have been spam and other bad quality messages coming from Google, so hopefully such messages will be reduced since they will not come from Google.)

(I have a draft message to this newsgroup that I have recently started writing; I have not finished it yet but will post it here once it is. It might or might not be available on Google, though.)

Even though only a few of us remain, should we have a online video commemoration, to raise a toast to the passing of an elderly friend?

Why do you need a video?

--
    Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lawrence D'Oliveiro@21:1/5 to Marc Olschok on Thu Jan 25 00:21:28 2024
    On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 20:53:02 -0000 (UTC), Marc Olschok wrote:

What is wrong with using an ordinary newsclient?

Some of us are looking forward to, hoping for, a rebirth of USENET after
    the exit of da Goog.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard L. Hamilton@21:1/5 to jdawiseman@gmail.com on Sat Mar 2 05:52:29 2024
    In article <60e6036c-69ba-40ff-a8f1-d2edb6625c26n@googlegroups.com>,
    jdaw1 <jdawiseman@gmail.com> writes:
    Google:=20

Effective from 22 February 2024, Google Groups will no longer support new=
    Usenet content. Posting and subscribing will be disallowed, and new conten= t from Usenet peers will not appear.=20

In effect, this will be the end of comp.lang.postscript. I=E2=80=99ve been = here since 2006, and have received much help here, always courteous and com= petent. Thank you.=20

Even though only a few of us remain, should we have a online video commemor= ation, to raise a toast to the passing of an elderly friend?

Just because Google Groups won't post to Usenet anymore, doesn't mean one can't.

Sign up for a proper Usenet server (some are free, some aren't) and get some newsreader software (some are free, some aren't; Seamonkey (the old all-in-one Mozilla) can do it)).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05