• Reading from %pipe% blocks if the program writes only a few output

From news@zzo38computer.org.invalid@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 7 23:16:57 2022
    If you use %pipe% with a program that writes only a few bytes of output and then is not finished yet, then the PostScript code will not be able to read
    it immediately. The %stdin device does not do that; it will read it immediately. How to fix so that it can be done by a pipe called by the PostScript program, also, instead of only stdin?

--
    Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Reiser@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 9 16:59:12 2022
    If you use %pipe% with a program that writes only a few bytes of output and then is not finished yet, then the PostScript code will not be able to read it immediately.

Sounds like the writing PostScript process should use 'flush' or '(%stdout%) flushfile'
    to force the few bytes into the file from the output buffer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From news@zzo38computer.org.invalid@21:1/5 to John Reiser on Mon Jan 10 18:21:16 2022
    John Reiser <vendor@BitWagon.com> wrote:
    Sounds like the writing PostScript process should use 'flush' or '(%stdout%) flushfile'
    to force the few bytes into the file from the output buffer.

The writing process is not a PostScript program, but a C program; the PostScript program is reading the output from it. (Note that it does
    not do this with standard input (even if it is connected to the same
    C program); it only does this with a pipe. (The C program does flush
    the output. The PostScript program is doing input; it does flush stdout
    but that doesn't affect the %pipe% at all.)

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From news@zzo38computer.org.invalid@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 11 15:56:35 2022
    Perhaps I should provide a example:

(%pipe%echo -n 1; sleep 1; echo -n 2; xkbbell; sleep 1; echo -n 3)
    (r) file read pstack flush

The expectation should be that the first byte (49) should be readable
    right away, and then after one second is a bell and the second byte is readable, etc.

That isn't what it does; instead it executes (including the bell after
    one second), but only after two seconds (when the program specified in
    the pipe is terminated) will it be readable.

It works as expected if it is read from %stdin (piping it to Ghostscript,
    given suitable PostScript code) instead of %pipe%, though.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luser droog@21:1/5 to ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid on Sun Jan 16 15:36:23 2022
    On Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 5:57:41 PM UTC-6, ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid wrote:
    Perhaps I should provide a example:

(%pipe%echo -n 1; sleep 1; echo -n 2; xkbbell; sleep 1; echo -n 3)
    (r) file read pstack flush

The expectation should be that the first byte (49) should be readable
    right away, and then after one second is a bell and the second byte is readable, etc.

That isn't what it does; instead it executes (including the bell after
    one second), but only after two seconds (when the program specified in
    the pipe is terminated) will it be readable.

It works as expected if it is read from %stdin (piping it to Ghostscript, given suitable PostScript code) instead of %pipe%, though.

I may not completely follow what you're ultimately trying to do. But just in case you haven't heard of it, there's a little known unix tool called expect(1) that was designed to help with these sort of pipe/flushing issues. It was written by the same guy that wrote Tcl/tk.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From news@zzo38computer.org.invalid@21:1/5 to luser droog on Thu Jan 20 01:12:52 2022
    luser droog <luser.droog@gmail.com> wrote:
    I may not completely follow what you're ultimately trying to do. But just in case you haven't heard of it, there's a little known unix tool called expect(1)
    that was designed to help with these sort of pipe/flushing issues. It was written by the same guy that wrote Tcl/tk.

That is not related, and does not help. (I am not sure how else to explain.)

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luser droog@21:1/5 to ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid on Thu Jan 20 16:56:43 2022
    On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 3:14:19 AM UTC-6, ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid wrote:
    luser droog <luser...@gmail.com> wrote:
    I may not completely follow what you're ultimately trying to do. But just in
    case you haven't heard of it, there's a little known unix tool called expect(1)
    that was designed to help with these sort of pipe/flushing issues. It was written by the same guy that wrote Tcl/tk.
    That is not related, and does not help. (I am not sure how else to explain.) --

Sorry about that. I've read the thread again and done some thinking.
    But I fear the answer is just as you've discovered. According to
    https://www.ghostscript.com/doc/current/Language.htm#File

" Ghostscript also supports the following IODevice in addition to a subset
    of those defined in the Adobe documentation:

"%pipe%command, which opens a pipe on the given command. This is
    supported only on operating systems that provide popen (primarily Unix
    systems, and not all of those)."

Then (my local) `man popen` says:

" Use popen to create a stream to a child process executing a command string *s as
    processed by /bin/sh on your system. The argument mode must start with either `r',
    where the stream reads from the child's stdout, or `w', where the stream writes to
    the child's stdin. As an extension, mode may also contain `e' to set the
    close-on-exec bit of the parent's file descriptor. The stream created by popen must
    be closed by pclose to avoid resource leaks."

So, I think ghostscript is using the minimal guarantees that POSIX gives
    for popen(1) which is that you can read OR write from it. Ghoscript is presumably adding a "> /tmp/$$pipe-output" to your command line,
    creating a writable pipe, and then giving you a read handle to that temp
    file later on. That would explain the blocking that you're experiencing.

Bad news is I don't see any way to change it except by changing the C code that implements the %pipe% device.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luser droog@21:1/5 to luser droog on Mon Jan 24 09:29:00 2022
    On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 6:56:44 PM UTC-6, luser droog wrote:
    On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 3:14:19 AM UTC-6, ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid wrote:
    luser droog <luser...@gmail.com> wrote:
    I may not completely follow what you're ultimately trying to do. But just in
    case you haven't heard of it, there's a little known unix tool called expect(1)
    That is not related, and does not help. (I am not sure how else to explain.)
    --
    Sorry about that. I've read the thread again and done some thinking.
    But I fear the answer is just as you've discovered. According to https://www.ghostscript.com/doc/current/Language.htm#File

" Ghostscript also supports the following IODevice in addition to a subset
    of those defined in the Adobe documentation:

"%pipe%command, which opens a pipe on the given command. This is
    supported only on operating systems that provide popen (primarily Unix systems, and not all of those)."

Then (my local) `man popen` says:

" Use popen to create a stream to a child process executing a command string *s as
    processed by /bin/sh on your system. The argument mode must start with either `r',
    where the stream reads from the child's stdout, or `w', where the stream writes to
    the child's stdin. As an extension, mode may also contain `e' to set the close-on-exec bit of the parent's file descriptor. The stream created by popen must
    be closed by pclose to avoid resource leaks."

Making sure I'm clear. The following is all guess-work on my part. If any of my guesses are wrong, my conclusions are probably wrong.

So, I think ghostscript is using the minimal guarantees that POSIX gives
    for popen(1) which is that you can read OR write from it. Ghoscript is presumably adding a "> /tmp/$$pipe-output" to your command line,
    creating a writable pipe, and then giving you a read handle to that temp
    file later on. That would explain the blocking that you're experiencing.

Bad news is I don't see any way to change it except by changing the C code that
    implements the %pipe% device.

I don't know this for a fact.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05