• How to ensure line widths are the same vertically and horizontally?

From Eremey Valetov@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 6 02:55:58 2020
    Hello All,

The width of a line in PostScript is defined in terms of distances in the user space. In my use case, the aspect ratio of the device space (e.g. 4:3) is different from the aspect ratio of the user space (e.g. 1:1), which causes the line widths in the
    device space to be different in vertical and horizontal directions.

How to make line widths the same regardless of the line orientation? The PostScript Language Reference Manual for setlinewidth mentions that if the current transformation matrix (CTM) in effect at the time of the stroke specifies scaling by different
    factors in the x and y dimensions, then thickness of the lines can vary.

Does this mean that if I set a CTM with the same scaling factor in x and y dimensions before calling stroke and them reset the CTM to the value used elsewhere in the PostScript file, the line widths will be the same without affecting anything else?

Thanks,
    Eremey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeffrey H. Coffield@21:1/5 to Eremey Valetov on Tue Oct 6 09:00:46 2020
    On 10/06/2020 02:55 AM, Eremey Valetov wrote:
    Hello All,

The width of a line in PostScript is defined in terms of distances in the user space. In my use case, the aspect ratio of the device space (e.g. 4:3) is different from the aspect ratio of the user space (e.g. 1:1), which causes the line widths in the

How to make line widths the same regardless of the line orientation? The PostScript Language Reference Manual for setlinewidth mentions that if the current transformation matrix (CTM) in effect at the time of the stroke specifies scaling by different

Does this mean that if I set a CTM with the same scaling factor in x and y dimensions before calling stroke and them reset the CTM to the value used elsewhere in the PostScript file, the line widths will be the same without affecting anything else?

Thanks,
    Eremey

Without writing a test case, it would seem to me that changing the scale
    factor would not change the line width, but also the line position. Do
    you have a sample .ps file that demonstrates what you want to acheive?

Jeff Coffield
    www.digitalsynergyinc.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luser droog@21:1/5 to Eremey Valetov on Tue Oct 6 11:04:01 2020
    On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 4:56:00 AM UTC-5, Eremey Valetov wrote:
    Hello All,

Thanks,
    Eremey

You can start with a uniform scaling matrix

4 4 matrix scale

And then multiply it by the inverse of the CTM

matrix currentmatrix matrix invertmatrix matrix concatmatrix

Now if you `concat` this matrix onto the CTM, then the CTM will become
    exactly the uniform scaling matrix created on the first line.

hth

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luser droog@21:1/5 to luser droog on Tue Oct 6 16:35:48 2020
    On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 1:04:03 PM UTC-5, luser droog wrote:
    Hello All,

Thanks,
    Eremey

4 4 matrix scale

Now if you `concat` this matrix onto the CTM, then the CTM will become exactly the uniform scaling matrix created on the first line.

hth

Ugh. Made it too complicated.

matrix currentmatrix
    4 4 matrix scale setmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eremey Valetov@21:1/5 to Jeffrey H. Coffield on Wed Oct 7 03:43:24 2020
    On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:00:50 AM UTC-5, Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
    Hello All,

Thanks,
    Eremey

Without writing a test case, it would seem to me that changing the scale factor would not change the line width, but also the line position. Do

Jeff Coffield

Hi Jeff,

I placed the original version of the test case "pic002_old.ps" and a new version "pic002_new.ps", where the issue of non-uniform line widths is fixed, in the following filebin:
    https://filebin.net/1ih1vywlu9ep2hoz

I resolved the issue by replacing "/sn {newpath} bind def" with "/sn {gsave 1 1.5 scale stroke newpath grestore} bind def".

Thanks,
    Eremey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eremey Valetov@21:1/5 to luser droog on Wed Oct 7 03:48:39 2020
    On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 6:35:50 PM UTC-5, luser droog wrote:
    Hello All,

The width of a line in PostScript is defined in terms of distances in the user space. In my use case, the aspect ratio of the device space (e.g. 4:3) is different from the aspect ratio of the user space (e.g. 1:1), which causes the line widths in
    the device space to be different in vertical and horizontal directions.

How to make line widths the same regardless of the line orientation? The PostScript Language Reference Manual for setlinewidth mentions that if the current transformation matrix (CTM) in effect at the time of the stroke specifies scaling by
    different factors in the x and y dimensions, then thickness of the lines can vary.

Thanks,
    Eremey

4 4 matrix scale

Now if you `concat` this matrix onto the CTM, then the CTM will become exactly the uniform scaling matrix created on the first line.

hth

matrix currentmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Hi luser droog,

Thanks! This fixed the issue with something like

matrix currentmatrix
    750 750 matrix scale setmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Because this requires knowing the horizontal size of the device space, which happens to be 750, I settled on this solution:

gsave 1 1.5 scale stroke newpath grestore

By the way, while this does resolve the issue in PostScript, in PDF this also results in the line coordinates being scaled vertically by the same coefficient 1.5. What would be a good place to ask the respective question about PDF?

Thanks,
    Eremey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eremey Valetov@21:1/5 to Jeffrey H. Coffield on Wed Oct 7 03:38:24 2020
    On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 11:00:50 AM UTC-5, Jeffrey H. Coffield wrote:
    Hello All,

Thanks,
    Eremey

Without writing a test case, it would seem to me that changing the scale factor would not change the line width, but also the line position. Do

Jeff Coffield

Hi Jeff,

I placed the original version of a test case "pic002_old.ps" and a new version "pic002_new.ps", where the issue of non-uniform line widths is fixed, to this filebin:
    https://filebin.net/1ih1vywlu9ep2hoz

I resolved the issue by replacing "/sn {stroke newpath} bind def" with "/sn {gsave 1 1.1 scale stroke newpath grestore} bind def".

Thanks,
    Eremey

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luser droog@21:1/5 to Eremey Valetov on Wed Oct 7 08:40:53 2020
    On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 5:48:40 AM UTC-5, Eremey Valetov wrote:
    Hello All,

The width of a line in PostScript is defined in terms of distances in the user space. In my use case, the aspect ratio of the device space (e.g. 4:3) is different from the aspect ratio of the user space (e.g. 1:1), which causes the line widths in
    the device space to be different in vertical and horizontal directions.

How to make line widths the same regardless of the line orientation? The PostScript Language Reference Manual for setlinewidth mentions that if the current transformation matrix (CTM) in effect at the time of the stroke specifies scaling by
    different factors in the x and y dimensions, then thickness of the lines can vary.

Does this mean that if I set a CTM with the same scaling factor in x and y dimensions before calling stroke and them reset the CTM to the value used elsewhere in the PostScript file, the line widths will be the same without affecting anything
    else?

Thanks,
    Eremey

4 4 matrix scale

hth

matrix currentmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Hi luser droog,

matrix currentmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Because this requires knowing the horizontal size of the device space, which happens to be 750, I settled on this solution:

By the way, while this does resolve the issue in PostScript, in PDF this also results in the line coordinates being scaled vertically by the same coefficient 1.5. What would be a good place to ask the respective question about PDF?

Thanks,
    Eremey

Maybe swapping 'newpath' and 'grestore'? As it is, grestore will
    resurrect the path that you just discarded.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eremey Valetov@21:1/5 to luser droog on Wed Oct 7 21:21:32 2020
    On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 10:40:55 AM UTC-5, luser droog wrote:
    Hello All,

The width of a line in PostScript is defined in terms of distances in the user space. In my use case, the aspect ratio of the device space (e.g. 4:3) is different from the aspect ratio of the user space (e.g. 1:1), which causes the line widths
    in the device space to be different in vertical and horizontal directions.

Does this mean that if I set a CTM with the same scaling factor in x and y dimensions before calling stroke and them reset the CTM to the value used elsewhere in the PostScript file, the line widths will be the same without affecting anything
    else?

Thanks,
    Eremey

4 4 matrix scale

hth

matrix currentmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Hi luser droog,

matrix currentmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Thanks,
    Eremey

Thanks, that makes sense. I swapped 'newpath' and 'grestore' in the PostScript code.

I made the corresponding revision to the PDF code,
    'q 1 0 0 1.5 0 0 cm S Q h',
    but this still has the side effect of vertically scaling the endpoints of the line segments, as pic002.pdf in this Filebin shows:
    https://filebin.net/1pcf0p3pb922nw8k

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From luser droog@21:1/5 to Eremey Valetov on Sat Oct 10 08:13:17 2020
    On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 11:21:34 PM UTC-5, Eremey Valetov wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 10:40:55 AM UTC-5, luser droog wrote:
    Hello All,

The width of a line in PostScript is defined in terms of distances in the user space. In my use case, the aspect ratio of the device space (e.g. 4:3) is different from the aspect ratio of the user space (e.g. 1:1), which causes the line
    widths in the device space to be different in vertical and horizontal directions.

else?

Thanks,
    Eremey

4 4 matrix scale

Now if you `concat` this matrix onto the CTM, then the CTM will become
    exactly the uniform scaling matrix created on the first line.

hth

matrix currentmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Hi luser droog,

matrix currentmatrix
    stroke
    setmatrix

Thanks,
    Eremey

Thanks, that makes sense. I swapped 'newpath' and 'grestore' in the PostScript code.

I made the corresponding revision to the PDF code,
    'q 1 0 0 1.5 0 0 cm S Q h',
    but this still has the side effect of vertically scaling the endpoints of the line segments, as pic002.pdf in this Filebin shows:
    https://filebin.net/1pcf0p3pb922nw8k

I looked at the file, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
    There is a newsgroup for PDF that maybe can help.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?oldui=1#!forum/comp.text.pdf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05