• simple column chart sub using named ranges.

From Frank Gover@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 6 08:09:47 2017
    Hi,

I'm new to vba and have been struggling with this problem for a while.

I want to create a simple sub to create several column charts in a sheet in the current workbook.

I have created named ranges for the rows data I want to represent in the series. One name = one row of data. The names are in the workbook scope. Therefore they should be globally available.

I have verified the named ranges are correct (I used the Find&Select ~> GoTo menu. It shows all my named ranges and when selected they highlight the right data.

The subroutine is creating the plot, changing the title but I can not get it to use the named ranges for the data so I have to have some silly error there.

I have added the named range interactively to the plot itself and it worked. I tried using that syntax in the VBA sub and it did not work.

I have tried using the .Range and .Values and have not been able to get it to work. Even hard coding the named range just to test it (as seen below).

' series_labels is an array of strings that indicate what is the series presented (i.e "Section A", "Section B")
    ' series_names this is an array of the Excel range names that represent the data that will be used for the series.
    ' x_axis_labels is a list of strings (i.e "Monday", "Tuesday") that contains the labels that will be set in the X-axis identifying the groups of columns

Sub CreateColChart(sh As Worksheet, title As String, target_location As Range, ByRef series_labels() As String, ByRef series_names() As String, ByRef x_axis_labels() As String)
    Dim BChart As Chart
    Dim I As Long

' Create the column chart
    Set BChart = sh.Shapes.AddChart(xlColumnClustered).Chart

With BChart
    .HasTitle = True
    .ChartTitle.Text = title

MsgBox ("Workbook " & vbNewLine & ThisWorkbook.Path)

For I = LBound(series_labels) To UBound(series_labels)

' Defines a new series to the chart
    .SeriesCollection.NewSeries
    With .SeriesCollection(I)

.Range = Range("=" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "!bulk_util")
    '.Values = "=" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "!bulk_util"
    .Name = series_labels(I)
    End With
    Next I
    End With

End Sub

Thanks in advance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)