• [ANN] tbas, the new BASIC interpreter for UNIX, is out

    From Antonio Maschio@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 09:23:00 2017
    XPost: alt.lang.basic

    Antonio and Ian are proud to tell you all that tbas is out in its Alpha version.

    tbas is a lightweight console interpreter, that can deal with a lot of
    BASIC statements, structured programming and modern features.

    tbas is free, with sources and documentation. It needs only gcc to be
    compiled, and a Linux/UNIX machine to properly run.

    Try it out and let us know!

    You can find it here:
    http://digilander.libero.it/tonibinhome/tbas/index.html

    Mail to ing.antonio.maschio@gmail.com

    It's GPL: enjoy!

    -- Antonio and Ian

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bruce Axtens@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 9 14:51:20 2017
    XPost: alt.lang.basic

    Hello Antonio and Ian

    I am using the bash shell that can be installed into Windows 10.
    Building is currently impossible, as below.

    Kind regards,
    Bruce.

    uname -a gives

    Linux BUGMAGNET-i7-ASUS 4.4.0-43-Microsoft #1-Microsoft Wed Dec 31
    14:42:53 PST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    gcc -v gives

    Using built-in specs.
    COLLECT_GCC=gcc COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/lto-wrapper
    Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
    Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3'
    --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,java,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --program-suffix=-4.8 --enable-shared --enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.8 --libdir=/usr/lib
    --enable-nls --with-sysroot=/ --enable-clocale=gnu
    --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes
    --enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-libmudflap --enable-plugin --with-system-zlib --disable-browser-plugin --enable-java-awt=gtk --enable-gtk-cairo
    --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64/jre
    --enable-java-home
    --with-jvm-root-dir=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64 --with-jvm-jar-dir=/usr/lib/jvm-exports/java-1.5.0-gcj-4.8-amd64 --with-arch-directory=amd64
    --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --enable-objc-gc --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 --with-tune=generic
    --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu
    --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.8.4 (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3)

    Running make gives

    gcc -Wall -lm tbas.c -o tbas
    /tmp/ccJvi5kc.o: In function `OPTION':
    tbas.c:(.text+0x39ee): undefined reference to `pow'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x4417): undefined reference to `pow'
    /tmp/ccJvi5kc.o: In function `getFunc':
    tbas.c:(.text+0x2115f): undefined reference to `acos'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x2126f): undefined reference to `asin'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x213b5): undefined reference to `sqrt'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x213c6): undefined reference to `log'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21486): undefined reference to `sqrt'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21497): undefined reference to `log'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21519): undefined reference to `atan'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x216cc): undefined reference to `log'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21794): undefined reference to `acos'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x2191e): undefined reference to `sqrt'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x2192f): undefined reference to `log'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x219fb): undefined reference to `asin'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21aaf): undefined reference to `sqrt'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21ac0): undefined reference to `log'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21bb1): undefined reference to `atan2'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21be4): undefined reference to `atan'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21d85): undefined reference to `log'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x21e7d): undefined reference to `pow'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22073): undefined reference to `cos'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22139): undefined reference to `sin'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x222a1): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x222c2): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22356): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22379): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22507): undefined reference to `tan'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x225e3): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22604): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22633): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22654): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22c95): undefined reference to `erfc'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x22d48): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x230b4): undefined reference to `tgamma'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x23543): undefined reference to `lgamma'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x23664): undefined reference to `log'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x23785): undefined reference to `log10'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24522): undefined reference to `pow'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x2459f): undefined reference to `pow'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x2466e): undefined reference to `cos'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24764): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24785): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24a21): undefined reference to `sin'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24aa5): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24ac6): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24ba7): undefined reference to `sqrt'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x24fcc): undefined reference to `tan'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x25050): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x25071): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x250a0): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x250c1): undefined reference to `exp'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x25164): undefined reference to `pow'
    /tmp/ccJvi5kc.o: In function `gregDayNumber':
    tbas.c:(.text+0x30807): undefined reference to `floor'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x3082d): undefined reference to `floor'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x30876): undefined reference to `floor'
    /tmp/ccJvi5kc.o: In function `printNUM':
    tbas.c:(.text+0x310e7): undefined reference to `pow'
    /tmp/ccJvi5kc.o: In function `setAddr':
    tbas.c:(.text+0x32bac): undefined reference to `pow'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x32c17): undefined reference to `pow'
    /tmp/ccJvi5kc.o: In function `power':
    tbas.c:(.text+0x32e97): undefined reference to `pow'
    tbas.c:(.text+0x32ed0): undefined reference to `pow' /tmp/ccJvi5kc.o:tbas.c:(.text+0x32f92): more undefined references to
    `pow' follow
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [tbas] Error 1

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Robert Wolfe@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 13 17:50:00 2017
    It's a good day to die, Bruce, isn't it?

    Quoting message from Bruce Axtens to All
    [14:51 at 09-Oct-17]

    From: Bruce Axtens <snetxa@hotmail.com>

    Hello Antonio and Ian

    I am using the bash shell that can be installed into Windows 10.
    Building is currently impossible, as below.

    --- Internet Rex 2.31
    * Origin: A noiseless patient Spider (1:116/18.1)

    Have you been able to build this under CygWin?

    Best regards, Robert.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Antonio Maschio@21:1/5 to Robert Wolfe on Tue Oct 17 16:39:29 2017
    On 13/10/17 17:50, Robert Wolfe wrote:
    It's a good day to die, Bruce, isn't it?

    þ Quoting message from Bruce Axtens to All
    þ [14:51 at 09-Oct-17]

    From: Bruce Axtens <snetxa@hotmail.com>

    Hello Antonio and Ian

    I am using the bash shell that can be installed into Windows 10.
    Building is currently impossible, as below.

    --- Internet Rex 2.31
    * Origin: A noiseless patient Spider (1:116/18.1)

    Have you been able to build this under CygWin?

    Best regards, Robert.


    Hi Robert,

    I report here what Ian did suggest to Bruce

    **************
    It looks like the linker did not pick up the math library.

    You could try changing:

    gcc -Wall -lm tbas.c -o tbas

    to

    gcc -Wall tbas.c -o tbas -lm

    As described here:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11336477/gcc-will-not-properly-include-math-h
    ***************

    I hope this helps.

    Ciao!

    -- Antonio

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Marcos Cruz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 19 07:27:34 2017
    XPost: alt.lang.basic

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.basic.misc.]

    En/Je/On 2017-09-23, Antonio Maschio <ing.antonio.maschio@gmail.com> escribi'o/skribis/wrote:

    Antonio and Ian are proud to tell you all that tbas is out in its Alpha version.

    tbas is a lightweight console interpreter, that can deal with a lot of
    BASIC statements, structured programming and modern features.

    tbas is free, with sources and documentation. It needs only gcc to be compiled, and a Linux/UNIX machine to properly run.

    My first impressions:

    tbas compiled like a charm on Raspbian. The documentation is excellent.
    And even a Vim syntax file is included!

    The language provides modern `do loop` structures, a versatile `sub` and
    many other useful features.

    I've searched the manual for `locate` and `merge`, but it seems they are
    still missing from this alpha version, right?

    The `man` page seems to suggest the input file is optional, since it is
    showed in brackets, but it's mandatory. Will a future version of tbas
    provide a command line interface?

    It's the first time I see patterns of `using` based on a numbered line,
    marked with `:` or `image`. It looks an unusual syntax, but may be it's
    useful to make the code more legible in some cases. By the way, I always wondered why the classic BASIC's `using` is just a modifier of `print`
    instead of an independent function, say `using$()`, which would be more versatile.

    Finally, the non-standard special characters "&" (suspend loading) and
    "@" (stop loading) seem useful to include source documentation, but why
    two of them? I mean, maybe "&" could suspend loading not only until the
    next "&", but also until the end of file -- whatever comes first, thus
    making "@" almost unnecessary.

    I'll try tbas further and I'll follow its development.

    Congratulations to the tbas team!

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Antonio Maschio@21:1/5 to Antonio Maschio on Sun Apr 29 09:01:32 2018
    On 29/04/18 08:57, Antonio Maschio wrote:
    It's the first time I see patterns of `using` based on a numbered line, marked with `:` or `image`. It looks an unusual syntax, but may be it's useful to make the code more legible in some cases. By the way, I always wondered why the classic BASIC's `using` is just a modifier of `print` instead of an independent function, say `using$()`, which would be more versatile.

    The : (colon) comes from DEC and IMAGE comes from another compiler (I
    don't remember which, now), and both were conceived in the Seventies, if
    I'm right...

    Finally, the non-standard special characters "&" (suspend loading) and
    "@" (stop loading) seem useful to include source documentation, but why
    two of them? I mean, maybe "&" could suspend loading not only until the
    next "&", but also until the end of file -- whatever comes first, thus
    making "@" almost unnecessary.

    Well, You are right. Maybe I'll develop the & and @ comments in the
    sense you've indicated, but let me investigate the matter.

    Thanks.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Antonio Maschio@21:1/5 to Marcos Cruz on Sun Apr 29 08:57:33 2018
    On 19/10/17 09:27, Marcos Cruz wrote:
    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.basic.misc.]

    En/Je/On 2017-09-23, Antonio Maschio <ing.antonio.maschio@gmail.com> escribi'o/skribis/wrote:

    Antonio and Ian are proud to tell you all that tbas is out in its Alpha
    version.

    tbas is a lightweight console interpreter, that can deal with a lot of
    BASIC statements, structured programming and modern features.

    tbas is free, with sources and documentation. It needs only gcc to be
    compiled, and a Linux/UNIX machine to properly run.

    My first impressions:

    tbas compiled like a charm on Raspbian. The documentation is excellent.
    And even a Vim syntax file is included!

    The language provides modern `do loop` structures, a versatile `sub` and
    many other useful features.

    I've searched the manual for `locate` and `merge`, but it seems they are still missing from this alpha version, right?

    The `man` page seems to suggest the input file is optional, since it is showed in brackets, but it's mandatory. Will a future version of tbas provide a command line interface?

    It's the first time I see patterns of `using` based on a numbered line, marked with `:` or `image`. It looks an unusual syntax, but may be it's useful to make the code more legible in some cases. By the way, I always wondered why the classic BASIC's `using` is just a modifier of `print` instead of an independent function, say `using$()`, which would be more versatile.

    Finally, the non-standard special characters "&" (suspend loading) and
    "@" (stop loading) seem useful to include source documentation, but why
    two of them? I mean, maybe "&" could suspend loading not only until the
    next "&", but also until the end of file -- whatever comes first, thus
    making "@" almost unnecessary.

    I'll try tbas further and I'll follow its development.

    Congratulations to the tbas team!

    (Sorry for the late answer...)

    Thanks for your message!

    I'm the programmer of tbas. LOCATE is a very strange command, that may
    work differently on different systems. Anyway, if you give me a
    specific, I can try to implement it the way you like it.

    For what about MERGE, the team is developing an interactive session
    shell with the MERGE command built-in (and others of course). DUring a
    session, tbas will work as a numbered-lines interpreter, but without
    loss of power in terms of language. Of course, you may not want to use
    the shell. No problem, tbas will work as always, because the shell is
    activated by option -i

    In any case, have you taken a look at the LIBRARY statement? Does it
    meet any of your needs?

    Ciao!

    -- Antonio

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Marcos Cruz@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 31 20:18:35 2018
    En/Je/On 2018-04-29, Antonio Maschio <ing.antonio.maschio@gmail.com> escribi'o/skribis/wrote:

    LOCATE is a very strange command, that may work differently on
    different systems. Anyway, if you give me a specific, I can try to
    implement it the way you like it.

    For what about MERGE, the team is developing an interactive session
    shell with the MERGE command built-in (and others of course).

    In any case, have you taken a look at the LIBRARY statement?

    I've just downloaded the latest version 1.0.alpha3, which has many improvements, including `locate`.. I'll try it ASAP.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)