• Where to get SAX (Sharp APL) interpreter for Linux ?

From jibanes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to J. Clarke on Sun Dec 6 16:32:25 2020
    I remember reviewing SAX long before Solitron was dissolved. It's my recollection that IP Sharp's APL was a "descendent" of APL\360. The documentation of SHARP APL states: "It's a collection of programs centered around an APL interpreter. The interpreter
    itself is the very same SHARP APL interpreter that runs on 370-architecture mainframes; that is, it's written in 370 Assembler, and the object code included here is actually 370 object code. It runs on a PC via a 370 emulator, written by Roger Moore and
    included in this shareware package."

Was Solitron's SAX a complete, native reimplementation of IP Sharp's APL or does it carries this 370 emulator?

/Jerome

On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 7:08:59 AM UTC-7, J. Clarke wrote:
    On Fri, 29 May 2020 20:42:15 -0700 (PDT), Barry Bogart
    <ve7...@arrl.net> wrote:

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 12:01:44 UTC-8, pahihu wrote:
    Hi,

I would like to play with SAX for Linux, but I know that Soliton no longer distributes
    the Linux version for personal use.

Does anyone can point me to a site, where I can download the distribution ?

Thanks,
    pahihu

Well, there is always Dyalog for the Raspberry Pi. I don't know if you can run Rasbian on a real PC, though.
    Dyalog is free for everybody for personal use. You have to ask
    though.

By the way, a Pi4 has plenty of capability.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From PLJ@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 12:25:47 2020
    I don't have an answer to the initial question about SAX availability. While I managed the creation of SAX for IPSA, I haven't had access to the product since I closed the Palo Alto office in 1992.

I can answer the question about the nature of the SAX product. SAX began as a joint development effort between STSC and IPSA. We began with STSC's UNIX-based product written primarily in C. It included all of the system functions which had been jointly
    developed with IPSA for our existing IBM products, including the component file system and quad-FMT. It had STSC'S error and event handling, and their NARS language extensions. The implementation included code and go of machine instructions to provide
    faster loops for several primitives, much like the common code of our similar mainframe products.

The initial SAX release replaced NARS language extensions with Ken Iverson's ideas, many of which were already available in Sharp APL. It added IPSA's quad-TRAP, and since that allows errors be resumed mid statement, it required a bit of redesign of the
    STSC approach to storing functions which had been designed to reduce syntax analysis. We also added shared variables, packages and the character left argument for thorn.

In addition to a lot of work on performance improvement, the second release focused on adding network shared variables. I believe that was also when we disconnected the interpreter from the session manager. This allowed the product to be used as a Unix
    application with input and output directed to files or pipes.

Just about every new machine vendor we encountered had some issues with their Unix which had to be overcome. While several machines had the same instruction set, their assembler language presented different sequences for arguments, especially for
    floating-point instructions. At the time we were developing SAX, Unix only supported pipes for inter-process communication which was designed around a few characters at a time instead of the large strings which shared variables required. This ment code
    changes for the shared variable processor, and a special install sequence for something that was part of the Unix kernel.

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 4:32:26 PM UTC-8, jib...@gmail.com wrote:
    I remember reviewing SAX long before Solitron was dissolved. It's my recollection that IP Sharp's APL was a "descendent" of APL\360. The documentation of SHARP APL states: "It's a collection of programs centered around an APL interpreter. The
    interpreter itself is the very same SHARP APL interpreter that runs on 370-architecture mainframes; that is, it's written in 370 Assembler, and the object code included here is actually 370 object code. It runs on a PC via a 370 emulator, written by
    Roger Moore and included in this shareware package."

Was Solitron's SAX a complete, native reimplementation of IP Sharp's APL or does it carries this 370 emulator?

/Jerome

On Tuesday, 26 November 2019 12:01:44 UTC-8, pahihu wrote:
    Hi,

I would like to play with SAX for Linux, but I know that Soliton no longer distributes >> the Linux version for personal use.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jibanes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 7 13:29:17 2020
    I don't have an answer to the initial question about SAX availability. While I managed the creation of SAX for IPSA, I haven't had access to the product since I closed the Palo Alto office in 1992. [...]

Thank you.

For completeness, does anyone knows if IBM's APL (370, 1 & 2) shared the same historical code base between mainframe and "workstations" or PC?

/Jerome

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mkr@21:1/5 to jib...@gmail.com on Mon Dec 7 14:21:56 2020
    On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:29:18 PM UTC-5, jib...@gmail.com wrote:
    I don't have an answer to the initial question about SAX availability. While I managed the creation of SAX for IPSA, I haven't had access to the product since I closed the Palo Alto office in 1992. [...]

Thank you.

For completeness, does anyone knows if IBM's APL (370, 1 & 2) shared the same historical code base between mainframe and "workstations" or PC?

/Jerome

look at the conversation in this group "enclose a simple scalar" for info about running sharp apl

mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ford Clancy@21:1/5 to mkr on Wed Dec 9 16:07:38 2020
    Further to the inquiry about the PC version of Sharp APL - see this site: http://www.gemesyscanada.com

They have implemented several APL flavours for Android, including the subject implementation.

This link includes the apks and the native archives for the various implementations: https://github.com/Gemesys/gemesys_repository

On Monday, 7 December 2020 at 17:21:58 UTC-5, mkr wrote:
    On Monday, December 7, 2020 at 4:29:18 PM UTC-5, jib...@gmail.com wrote:

Thank you.

/Jerome
    look at the conversation in this group "enclose a simple scalar" for info about running sharp apl

mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Ad=C3=A1m_Brudzewsky?=@21:1/5 to pahihu on Wed Apr 27 05:56:31 2022
    https://github.com/abrudz/sax

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 9:01:44 PM UTC+1, pahihu wrote:
    Hi,

I would like to play with SAX for Linux, but I know that Soliton no longer distributes
    the Linux version for personal use.

Thanks,
    pahihu

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Curtis Jones@21:1/5 to a.b...@gmail.com on Sun May 1 19:54:53 2022
    On Wednesday, April 27, 2022 at 5:56:32 AM UTC-7, a.b...@gmail.com wrote:
    https://github.com/abrudz/sax
    Adam,
    You must be getting ready for your conversation with Paul Jackson at the APL Campfire/APL BUG meeting this coming Sunday - 8 May 2022 at 18:00 UTC.
    https://aplwiki.com/wiki/APL_Campfire
    There's more about Paul at
    http://www.sigapl.org/ and http://www.sigapl.org/APLBUG.php
    Curtis

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05