• Larry Breed Memorial

From Mike Jenkins@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 1 13:33:23 2021
    I remember Larry Breed

Mike Jenkins
    Aug 31, 2021

I hope to join the Memorial event on September 12 by Zoom, however at my current location (north shore of Prince Edward Island, Canada) my internet service is spotty.

I was accepted into the first PHD class at Stanford in the Fall of 1964. Larry was a Masters student at that time, I heard about his work on animation display at the Stanford Football games and was encouraged to attend. It was an amazing experience
    hearing the Oohs and Ahs as we displayed the cards in the sequence he had computed.

While I did not get to know him well at Stanford, my job on graduation was in the APL group at IBM Research in Yorktown Heights. Larry was appointed my boss and we worked closely during that time. After 4 years at IBM I decided to return to Canada to
    help establish a Computer Science program at Queen’s University. Larry was a great boss. He encouraged me to pursue my own ideas and actively supported me when I decided to use a “new” technique for the Matrix Inversion algorithm instead of the
    classical one.

Over the years I met Larry at several APL Minnowbrook Conferences. We had spirited discussions about APL matters especially on the origin 0 or origin 1 controversy. Although we did not see each other often, I was always happy to hear his new ideas.

Rest in Peace Larry
    Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)