• Big differences between gnatmake and gprbuild

From Doug Telford@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 26 17:39:44 2021
    I am using gnatmake 9.3.0 and gprbuild community edition 2021. The Ada executable from gnatmake is about 50% smaller than that of gprbuild and runs much slower than the gprbuild version. Is gnatmake deprecated, obsolete, or not maintained?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gautier write-only address@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 26 22:19:27 2021
    I am using gnatmake 9.3.0 and gprbuild community edition 2021. The Ada executable from gnatmake is about 50% smaller than that of gprbuild and runs much slower than the gprbuild version. Is gnatmake deprecated, obsolete, or not maintained?

It looks like the compiler, linker & binder options that, in your case, gnatmake sends to GNAT, are different than those gprbuild sends, especially optimization options.
    What are the command line options to gnatmake you are using ? And to gprbuild ? _________________________
    Gautier's Ada programming
    http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
    NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Telford@21:1/5 to gautier...@hotmail.com on Mon Dec 27 07:14:39 2021
    On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 11:19:28 PM UTC-7, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
    It looks like the compiler, linker & binder options that, in your case, gnatmake sends to GNAT, are different than those gprbuild sends, especially optimization options.
    What are the command line options to gnatmake you are using ? And to gprbuild ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Doug Telford@21:1/5 to gautier...@hotmail.com on Mon Dec 27 07:51:37 2021
    On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 11:19:28 PM UTC-7, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
    What are the command line options to gnatmake you are using ? And to gprbuild ?
    I think part of the problem is the version of gnatmake. Version 9.3.0 is vintage 2019. I am not sure how I got this version. When I use the gnat community 2021 version of gnatmake, then everything was ok.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Wright@21:1/5 to Doug Telford on Mon Dec 27 17:02:27 2021
    Doug Telford <doug719125@gmail.com> writes:

I think part of the problem is the version of gnatmake. Version 9.3.0
    is vintage 2019. I am not sure how I got this version. When I use
    the gnat community 2021 version of gnatmake, then everything was ok.

If you give current gnatmake a project file, it will delegate to
    gprbuild if it's present.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05