• What are some arguments in favor of starting a new application using th

From K.S. Bhaskar@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 12 08:14:57 2023
    Just for fun, I asked ChatGPT the question in the subject. Here's what it said, leaving me mildly bemused:

Here are a few arguments in favor of starting a new application using the M language:

Productivity: M is a highly expressive and concise language, which can allow developers to write more code in less time, improving productivity and reducing the time to market.

Integration with existing Microsoft technologies: M is tightly integrated with Microsoft technologies such as .NET, Visual Studio, and Azure, making it easier to build applications that work well with existing Microsoft infrastructure.

High performance: M has a strong focus on performance, making it a good choice for applications that require high levels of computational performance.

Large developer community: M has a large and active developer community, which provides a wealth of resources and support for new users.

Dynamic and functional programming: M supports both dynamic and functional programming paradigms, which can make it easier to write more flexible and maintainable code.

Great tools: M comes with a rich set of tools, such as the LINQ library, which makes it easier to work with data and perform complex operations.

Cross-platform support: With the .NET framework, M applications can run on a variety of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and macOS, making it easier to target a wide range of devices and operating systems.

Overall, these advantages make M a strong choice for building a wide range of applications, from web and mobile applications to enterprise systems and data analytics.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From K.S. Bhaskar@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Sun Feb 12 10:34:12 2023
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 11:14:59 AM UTC-5, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
    Just for fun, I asked ChatGPT the question in the subject. Here's what it said, leaving me mildly bemused:

Here are a few arguments in favor of starting a new application using the M language:

Productivity: M is a highly expressive and concise language, which can allow developers to write more code in less time, improving productivity and reducing the time to market.

Integration with existing Microsoft technologies: M is tightly integrated with Microsoft technologies such as .NET, Visual Studio, and Azure, making it easier to build applications that work well with existing Microsoft infrastructure.

High performance: M has a strong focus on performance, making it a good choice for applications that require high levels of computational performance.

Large developer community: M has a large and active developer community, which provides a wealth of resources and support for new users.

Dynamic and functional programming: M supports both dynamic and functional programming paradigms, which can make it easier to write more flexible and maintainable code.

Great tools: M comes with a rich set of tools, such as the LINQ library, which makes it easier to work with data and perform complex operations.

Cross-platform support: With the .NET framework, M applications can run on a variety of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and macOS, making it easier to target a wide range of devices and operating systems.

Overall, these advantages make M a strong choice for building a wide range of applications, from web and mobile applications to enterprise systems and data analytics.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Continuing the discussion, I asked: By M do you mean MUMPS?

It answered:

Yes, I apologize for the mistake. By M, I meant MUMPS (Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multi-Programming System), also known as M. MUMPS is a general-purpose, data-centric, and transactional programming language that was originally designed for
    the healthcare industry. It is used for building high-performance, mission-critical applications in a variety of domains, including healthcare, finance, and government.

I asked: What implementations of M (or MUMPS) exist?

It answered:

There are several implementations of MUMPS available, including:

Cache: Cache is a commercial implementation of MUMPS developed by InterSystems Corporation. It is widely used in the healthcare industry and provides a range of features for developing and deploying applications, including a robust programming language,
    advanced data management capabilities, and a powerful integrated development environment.

GT.M: GT.M is an open-source implementation of MUMPS developed by FIS Global. It is used in a variety of domains, including healthcare, finance, and government, and is known for its high performance, scalability, and reliability.

Caché ObjectScript: Caché ObjectScript is a variant of MUMPS that adds object-oriented programming capabilities. It is developed by InterSystems Corporation and is used primarily in the healthcare industry.

VistA: VistA is an open-source electronic health record system developed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. It is built on top of MUMPS and provides a comprehensive solution for managing patient records, appointment scheduling, and clinical
    decision support.

These are the most popular implementations of MUMPS, but there are other smaller implementations available as well. The choice of implementation will depend on the specific needs of the application being developed, as well as the requirements of the
    target environment and the developer's preferred development tools and platforms.

I asked: What are the smaller implementations you refer to?

It answered:

Some of the smaller implementations of MUMPS include:

PMON: PMON is a portable implementation of MUMPS that is designed to run on a variety of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is a relatively small and lightweight implementation that is well suited for small to medium-sized applications.

M21: M21 is another open-source implementation of MUMPS that is focused on simplicity and ease of use. It is designed to be easy to learn and use, making it a good choice for smaller projects or for developers who are new to MUMPS.

KOD: KOD is an implementation of MUMPS that was developed in Russia and is widely used in that country. It provides a comprehensive set of features for building applications, including a rich programming language, advanced data management capabilities,
    and a powerful integrated development environment.

These are some of the smaller implementations of MUMPS that are available, but there may be others as well. The choice of implementation will depend on the specific needs of the application being developed, as well as the requirements of the target
    environment and the developer's preferred development tools and platforms.

I asked: Have you heard of YottaDB?

It answered:

Yes, I have heard of YottaDB. YottaDB is an open-source implementation of MUMPS that is designed to provide high performance, scalability, and reliability for modern applications. It is designed to run on a variety of platforms, including Linux, Windows,
    and macOS, and provides a range of features for developing and deploying applications, including a robust programming language, advanced data management capabilities, and a powerful integrated development environment. YottaDB is a relatively new
    implementation of MUMPS, but it has gained a following among developers who appreciate its modern features and high performance.

I asked: Why did you not mention it earlier when I asked?

It answered: I apologize for not mentioning YottaDB earlier when you asked. As an AI language model, I strive to provide accurate and complete information in my responses. The omission of YottaDB was an oversight on my part, and I'm glad that I have the
    opportunity to correct that now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Edward Hagood@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Sun Feb 12 15:09:27 2023
    I love that you held ChatGPTs feet to the fire about YottaDB and made it to apologize for not mentioning it as an implementation of Mumps. LOL!

On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 1:34:13 PM UTC-5, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
    On Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 11:14:59 AM UTC-5, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Continuing the discussion, I asked: By M do you mean MUMPS?

It answered:

Yes, I apologize for the mistake. By M, I meant MUMPS (Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multi-Programming System), also known as M. MUMPS is a general-purpose, data-centric, and transactional programming language that was originally designed for
    the healthcare industry. It is used for building high-performance, mission-critical applications in a variety of domains, including healthcare, finance, and government.

I asked: What implementations of M (or MUMPS) exist?

It answered:

There are several implementations of MUMPS available, including:

Cache: Cache is a commercial implementation of MUMPS developed by InterSystems Corporation. It is widely used in the healthcare industry and provides a range of features for developing and deploying applications, including a robust programming language,
    advanced data management capabilities, and a powerful integrated development environment.

GT.M: GT.M is an open-source implementation of MUMPS developed by FIS Global. It is used in a variety of domains, including healthcare, finance, and government, and is known for its high performance, scalability, and reliability.

Caché ObjectScript: Caché ObjectScript is a variant of MUMPS that adds object-oriented programming capabilities. It is developed by InterSystems Corporation and is used primarily in the healthcare industry.

VistA: VistA is an open-source electronic health record system developed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. It is built on top of MUMPS and provides a comprehensive solution for managing patient records, appointment scheduling, and clinical
    decision support.

These are the most popular implementations of MUMPS, but there are other smaller implementations available as well. The choice of implementation will depend on the specific needs of the application being developed, as well as the requirements of the
    target environment and the developer's preferred development tools and platforms.

I asked: What are the smaller implementations you refer to?

It answered:

Some of the smaller implementations of MUMPS include:

PMON: PMON is a portable implementation of MUMPS that is designed to run on a variety of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and macOS. It is a relatively small and lightweight implementation that is well suited for small to medium-sized applications.

M21: M21 is another open-source implementation of MUMPS that is focused on simplicity and ease of use. It is designed to be easy to learn and use, making it a good choice for smaller projects or for developers who are new to MUMPS.

KOD: KOD is an implementation of MUMPS that was developed in Russia and is widely used in that country. It provides a comprehensive set of features for building applications, including a rich programming language, advanced data management capabilities,
    and a powerful integrated development environment.

These are some of the smaller implementations of MUMPS that are available, but there may be others as well. The choice of implementation will depend on the specific needs of the application being developed, as well as the requirements of the target
    environment and the developer's preferred development tools and platforms.

I asked: Have you heard of YottaDB?

It answered:

Yes, I have heard of YottaDB. YottaDB is an open-source implementation of MUMPS that is designed to provide high performance, scalability, and reliability for modern applications. It is designed to run on a variety of platforms, including Linux,
    Windows, and macOS, and provides a range of features for developing and deploying applications, including a robust programming language, advanced data management capabilities, and a powerful integrated development environment. YottaDB is a relatively new
    implementation of MUMPS, but it has gained a following among developers who appreciate its modern features and high performance.

I asked: Why did you not mention it earlier when I asked?

It answered: I apologize for not mentioning YottaDB earlier when you asked. As an AI language model, I strive to provide accurate and complete information in my responses. The omission of YottaDB was an oversight on my part, and I'm glad that I have
    the opportunity to correct that now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05