• What Is IRIS and how does it compare to Cache?

From Charlie-Boo@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 17 17:06:38 2021
    I have been programming in MUMPS/Cache forever - but not recently. People are talking about IRIS. I assume it is the latest attempt by InterSystems to sell but hide MUMPS.

What does it add to MUMPS/Cache?

How long has it been out?

In practice, when people get/use IRIS, how much of the work is coding MUMPS/Cache?

What else do you have to do?

Thanks!

C-B

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ed de moel@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 18 08:58:46 2021
    InterSystems IRIS Data Platform has been around for a couple of years now. Superficially, it's just the next generation of Caché, with a bunch of new extensions.
    (I'll leave it to InterSystems to itemize those).
    Of those, I'm mostly using the features related to REST services.

So, how much work will you be doing in the base-language?
    Well, I guess that depends on your project and which role you play in that project. In some projects, I did both the Angular work, and the Caché work, in other projects work was strictly split between client side work and server side work, and in some
    of those projects I worked on the client side (no Caché at all), and in others on the server side (only Caché).

What else to do?
    See what your project(s) require, and have a look at the documentation that InterSystems puts out on-line.

Hope this helps,
    Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie-Boo@21:1/5 to ed de moel on Thu Aug 19 13:53:56 2021
    On Wednesday, August 18, 2021 at 11:58:47 AM UTC-4, ed de moel wrote:
    InterSystems IRIS Data Platform has been around for a couple of years now. Superficially, it's just the next generation of Caché, with a bunch of new extensions.
    (I'll leave it to InterSystems to itemize those).
    Of those, I'm mostly using the features related to REST services.

So, how much work will you be doing in the base-language?
    Well, I guess that depends on your project and which role you play in that project. In some projects, I did both the Angular work, and the Caché work, in other projects work was strictly split between client side work and server side work, and in some
    of those projects I worked on the client side (no Caché at all), and in others on the server side (only Caché).

What else to do?
    See what your project(s) require, and have a look at the documentation that InterSystems puts out on-line.

Hope this helps,
    Ed
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks, guy. It all makes sense. Hide the power of M/... in the server and make the client side pretty/what people are used to/what sells. I'll check out the InterSystems documentation next.

Hey, glad you're still around. I retired but some people have a different idea as to how I should spend my golden years. How about you? What snew?

Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05