• Yottadb journalling questions

From kdtop@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 11 13:51:19 2021
    Hello all,

I have recently upgraded my system from GTM to yottadb, as part of a larger migration to a more recent version of Ubuntu LTS.

I got a notice today that one of my hard drives was almost full. Researching this, I found that that my journal files were quite large, 3 GB generated in 1 day. That is much more than I have experienced in the past. My scripts delete journal files
    older than 2-3 days, as I recall. So several days of journal files are adding up.

I opened the .mjl file with an editor to see if I could get any ideas, and while much of the data is unreadable, there were many string entries referencing taskman tasks, and the %ZTSCH global. (This yottadb is supporting a VistA EMR).

I seem to remember years ago when setting up my prior GT.M, that I configured the database to exclude journaling on certain globals that are subject to much churning, including ^TMP.

I tried scanning through the journal information in the yottadb operation guide, here: https://docs.yottadb.com/AdminOpsGuide/ydbjournal.html
    It seem that when turning on journaling, it is done for "regions." But I am not sure how regions of the database correspond to particular globals.

Summary:
    -- How to stop journaling for particular globals?

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kdtop@21:1/5 to kdtop on Sun Jul 11 14:48:44 2021
    For my future reference, I found in the AdminOpsGuide that a better way to view the contents of the .mjl file is via the command

mupip journal -extract=-stdout -forward

And after pressing [enter], I am prompted for the name of the journal file.

Kevin

On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 4:51:20 PM UTC-4, kdtop wrote:
    Hello all,

I have recently upgraded my system from GTM to yottadb, as part of a larger migration to a more recent version of Ubuntu LTS.

I got a notice today that one of my hard drives was almost full. Researching this, I found that that my journal files were quite large, 3 GB generated in 1 day. That is much more than I have experienced in the past. My scripts delete journal files
    older than 2-3 days, as I recall. So several days of journal files are adding up.

I opened the .mjl file with an editor to see if I could get any ideas, and while much of the data is unreadable, there were many string entries referencing taskman tasks, and the %ZTSCH global. (This yottadb is supporting a VistA EMR).

I seem to remember years ago when setting up my prior GT.M, that I configured the database to exclude journaling on certain globals that are subject to much churning, including ^TMP.

I tried scanning through the journal information in the yottadb operation guide, here: https://docs.yottadb.com/AdminOpsGuide/ydbjournal.html
    It seem that when turning on journaling, it is done for "regions." But I am not sure how regions of the database correspond to particular globals.

Summary:

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From OldMster@21:1/5 to kdtop on Mon Jul 12 05:18:55 2021
    On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 5:48:45 PM UTC-4, kdtop wrote:
    For my future reference, I found in the AdminOpsGuide that a better way to view the contents of the .mjl file is via the command

Kevin
    Hello all,

Summary:

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.
    Kevin,
    The gritty details are in the admin/ops manual, but the basics are you define a new segment and region for the the globals you don't want journalled, then 'point' the global names at that region in the 'Name' section.
    If you can still run GDE on the old GTM system, you should be able to list the old global directory to see how it was done. It hasn't changed unless you are on a very old version of GTM.

Mark

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K.S. Bhaskar@21:1/5 to kdtop on Mon Jul 12 14:21:44 2021
    Kevin –

https://docs.yottadb.com/AcculturationGuide/acculturation.html#global-directories-point-to-global-variables shows how a region defines a set of global variables to be mapped to a database file.

Also, instead of typing mupip journal -extract=-stdout -forward and waiting to be prompted for a journal file name, you can type mupip journal -extract=-stdout -forward <journalfilename> all on the command line.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Kevin
    Hello all,

Summary:

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kdtop@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Tue Jul 13 03:47:22 2021
    Bhaskar,

Thanks for this. I will need to study it.

Kevin

On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 5:21:45 PM UTC-4, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
    Kevin –

https://docs.yottadb.com/AcculturationGuide/acculturation.html#global-directories-point-to-global-variables shows how a region defines a set of global variables to be mapped to a database file.

Also, instead of typing mupip journal -extract=-stdout -forward and waiting to be prompted for a journal file name, you can type mupip journal -extract=-stdout -forward <journalfilename> all on the command line.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Kevin
    Hello all,

Summary:

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kdtop@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Thu Jul 15 06:22:19 2021
    Bhaskar (or others),

I'm just now getting to study this document. As I follow along, I typed in GDE --> show -region.

show -region

*** REGIONS ***

Std
    Inst
    Dynamic Def Rec
    Key
    Null
    Null
    Freeze
    Qdb
    Epoch
    LOCK
    Region Segment Coll Size Size
    Subs
    Coll
    Jnl
    on Err
    Rndwn
    Taper
    AutoDB
    Stats
    Crit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    DEFAULT DEFAULT 0 256
    NEVER
    N
    N
    N
    N
    Y
    N
    Y
    Sep

The output wraps around, around, like the display width is too narrow. So I drag the putty window out wide, and it still does it. So it must be the definition of the display width is incorrect in yottadb. I tried logging into VistA to set up the
    terminal parameters. But then GDE won't launch, giving the following message

yottadb>do ^GDE

%YDB-E-COLLDATAEXISTS, Collation type cannot be changed while subscripted local data exists
    %GDE-I-NOACTION, Not updating Global Directory /opt/worldvista/EHR/g/mumps.gld

yottadb>kill

But after I issue a KILL, it will run.

So how do I set up the terminal properly?

Thanks
    Kevin

Kevin –

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Kevin
    Hello all,

Summary:

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K.S. Bhaskar@21:1/5 to kdtop on Thu Jul 15 08:16:43 2021
    On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 9:22:20 AM UTC-4, kdtop wrote:
    Bhaskar (or others),

I'm just now getting to study this document. As I follow along, I typed in GDE --> show -region.

show -region

*** REGIONS ***

Std
    Inst
    Dynamic Def Rec
    Key
    Null
    Null
    Freeze
    Qdb
    Epoch
    LOCK
    Region Segment Coll Size
    Size
    Subs
    Coll
    Jnl
    on Err
    Rndwn
    Taper
    AutoDB
    Stats
    Crit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    DEFAULT DEFAULT 0 256
    NEVER
    N
    N
    N
    N
    Y
    N
    Y
    Sep

The output wraps around, around, like the display width is too narrow. So I drag the putty window out wide, and it still does it. So it must be the definition of the display width is incorrect in yottadb. I tried logging into VistA to set up the

yottadb>do ^GDE

%YDB-E-COLLDATAEXISTS, Collation type cannot be changed while subscripted local
    data exists
    %GDE-I-NOACTION, Not updating Global Directory /opt/worldvista/EHR/g/mumps.gld

yottadb>kill

But after I issue a KILL, it will run.

So how do I set up the terminal properly?

Thanks
    Kevin

Kevin –

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Kevin
    Hello all,

I got a notice today that one of my hard drives was almost full. Researching this, I found that that my journal files were quite large, 3 GB generated in 1 day. That is much more than I have experienced in the past. My scripts delete journal
    files older than 2-3 days, as I recall. So several days of journal files are adding up.

Summary:

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.

Kevin, YottaDB does not respond to dynamic terminal window resizing (which would need a handler for SIGWINCH to be implemented, much as there exists a handler for SIGUSR1/SIGUSR2). From the shell maximize your terminal window before going into YottaDB.
    You can also examine a global directory directly from a shell using the command: yottadb -run GDE <<<"show -command"

For example:

$ yottadb -run GDE <<<"show -command"
    %GDE-I-LOADGD, Loading Global Directory file
    /tmp/test/r1.32_x86_64/g/yottadb.gld
    %GDE-I-VERIFY, Verification OK

TEMPLATE -REGION -NOAUTODB
    TEMPLATE -REGION -COLLATION_DEFAULT=0
    TEMPLATE -REGION -EPOCHTAPER
    TEMPLATE -REGION -NOINST_FREEZE_ON_ERROR
    TEMPLATE -REGION -JOURNAL=(ALLOCATION=2048,AUTOSWITCHLIMIT=8386560,BEFORE_IMAGE,BUFFER_SIZE=2312,EXTENSION=2048)
    TEMPLATE -REGION -KEY_SIZE=1019
    TEMPLATE -REGION -LOCK_CRIT_SEPARATE
    TEMPLATE -REGION -NULL_SUBSCRIPTS=ALWAYS
    TEMPLATE -REGION -NOQDBRUNDOWN
    TEMPLATE -REGION -RECORD_SIZE=1048576
    TEMPLATE -REGION -STATS
    TEMPLATE -REGION -STDNULLCOLL
    !
    !
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -ACCESS_METHOD=BG
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -ALLOCATION=10000
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -NOASYNCIO
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -BLOCK_SIZE=2048
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -DEFER_ALLOCATE
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -NOENCRYPTION_FLAG
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -EXTENSION_COUNT=20000
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -GLOBAL_BUFFER_COUNT=2000
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -LOCK_SPACE=220
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -MUTEX_SLOTS=1024
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -RESERVED_BYTES=0
    !
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -ACCESS_METHOD=MM
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -ALLOCATION=20000
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -NOASYNCIO
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -BLOCK_SIZE=1024
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -DEFER
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -DEFER_ALLOCATE
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -NOENCRYPTION_FLAG
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -EXTENSION_COUNT=40000
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -GLOBAL_BUFFER_COUNT=1000
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -LOCK_SPACE=220
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -MUTEX_SLOTS=1024
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -RESERVED_BYTES=0
    !
    TEMPLATE -SEGMENT -ACCESS_METHOD=BG
    !
    DELETE -REGION DEFAULT
    DELETE -SEGMENT DEFAULT
    ADD -REGION DEFAULT -DYNAMIC_SEGMENT=DEFAULT -JOURNAL=(FILE_NAME="$ydb_dir/$ydb_rel/g/yottadb.mjl") -KEY_SIZE=255 -NULL_SUBSCRIPTS=NEVER -RECORD_SIZE=4080
    ADD -REGION YDBAIM -AUTODB -DYNAMIC_SEGMENT=YDBAIM -NOJOURNAL -KEY_SIZE=992 -RECORD_SIZE=1008
    ADD -REGION YDBOCTO -DYNAMIC_SEGMENT=YDBOCTO -JOURNAL=(FILE_NAME="$ydb_dir/$ydb_rel/g/%ydbocto.mjl")
    !
    ADD -SEGMENT DEFAULT -ALLOCATION=5000 -BLOCK_SIZE=4096 -EXTENSION_COUNT=10000 -FILE_NAME="$ydb_dir/$ydb_rel/g/yottadb.dat" -GLOBAL_BUFFER_COUNT=1000
    ADD -SEGMENT YDBAIM -ACCESS_METHOD=MM -FILE_NAME="$ydb_dir/$ydb_rel/g/%ydbaim.dat"
    ADD -SEGMENT YDBOCTO -FILE_NAME="$ydb_dir/$ydb_rel/g/%ydbocto.dat"
    !
    LOCKS -REGION=DEFAULT
    ADD -NAME %ydbAIM* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydbAIm* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydbAiM* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydbAim* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydbOCTO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbOCTo* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbOCtO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbOCto* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbOcTO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbOcTo* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbOctO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbOcto* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbaIM* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydbaIm* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydbaiM* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydbaim* -REGION=YDBAIM
    ADD -NAME %ydboCTO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydboCTo* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydboCtO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydboCto* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbocTO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbocTo* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydboctO* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    ADD -NAME %ydbocto* -REGION=YDBOCTO
    !

%GDE-I-NOACTION, Not updating Global Directory /tmp/test/r1.32_x86_64/g/yottadb.gld
    $

You can put the command file under version control, for example, and you can load a command file into GDE. Details at https://docs.yottadb.com/AdminOpsGuide/gde.html

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kdtop@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Sun Jul 18 11:43:30 2021
    On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 11:16:44 AM UTC-4, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
    On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 9:22:20 AM UTC-4, kdtop wrote:
    Bhaskar (or others),

... snip --

- snip -

Kevin, YottaDB does not respond to dynamic terminal window resizing (which would need a handler for SIGWINCH to be implemented, much as there exists a handler for SIGUSR1/SIGUSR2). From the shell maximize your terminal window before going into YottaDB.
    You can also examine a global directory directly from a shell using the command: yottadb -run GDE <<<"show -command"

-snip-
    Regards
    – Bhaskar

Bhaskar,

I understand that SIGWINCH event handler is not yet implemented. Maybe someday...

Making the window big BEFORE opening YottaDB seemed to do the trick, as you said.

Thanks
    Kevin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Akabouncue@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 24 18:23:59 2021
    Pada Senin, 12 Juli 2021 pukul 03.51.20 UTC+7, kdtop menulis:
    Hello all,

Summary:

Thanks
    Kevin Toppenberg.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05