• M code formatting tool?

From K.S. Bhaskar@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 24 10:05:29 2020
    Is there a free / open source code tool for formatting M programs to ensure consistent formatting? There are tools for other languages, but I don't know if one exists for M. Thank you very much, in advance.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From OldMster@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Mon Aug 24 10:51:47 2020
    On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 1:05:30 PM UTC-4, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
    Is there a free / open source code tool for formatting M programs to ensure consistent formatting? There are tools for other languages, but I don't know if one exists for M. Thank you very much, in advance.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

I don't know of one either. George James Serenji for VS Code is free, but not open source I don't believe. It is an excellent syntax highlighter for that platform, but doesn't enforce any coding/format style.

Mark

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K.S. Bhaskar@21:1/5 to OldMster on Mon Aug 24 12:39:32 2020
    On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 1:51:50 PM UTC-4, OldMster wrote:

Regards
    – Bhaskar

I don't know of one either. George James Serenji for VS Code is free, but not open source I don't believe. It is an excellent syntax highlighter for that platform, but doesn't enforce any coding/format style.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm looking for a tool we can insert in a Continuous Integration pipeline to ensure consistent formatting of M programs. Joel Ivy's tool at https://github.com/kench/M-Tools might work.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From OldMster@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Wed Aug 26 11:29:59 2020
    That looks interesting. The parser would have been helpful when I was writing the Cache -> GT.M converter!

Mark

On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 3:39:34 PM UTC-4, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
    On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 1:51:50 PM UTC-4, OldMster wrote:

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm looking for a tool we can insert in a Continuous Integration pipeline to ensure consistent formatting of M programs. Joel Ivy's tool at https://github.com/kench/M-Tools might work.

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From winfried.bantel@e-ntwicklung.de@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Tue Sep 29 06:27:28 2020
    K.S. Bhaskar schrieb am Montag, 24. August 2020 um 19:05:30 UTC+2:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Hello Bashkar,

could you please give an example (inpit => output) what the tool should do please?

Greetings

Winfried

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From K.S. Bhaskar@21:1/5 to winfrie...@e-ntwicklung.de on Tue Sep 29 07:09:42 2020
    On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 9:27:29 AM UTC-4, winfrie...@e-ntwicklung.de wrote:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Hello Bashkar,

could you please give an example (inpit => output) what the tool should do please?

Greetings

Winfried

Winfried –

The goal is to take M code written by different programmers and get it into a consistent format. I don't have many specific rules in mind, but the format should be consistent in order to improve readability, e.g.:

- Non label lines to start with a single tab
    - Each dot level is a dot followed by a single space
    - Consistent capitalization of commands, functions, and ISVs

Regards
    – Bhaskar

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jens@21:1/5 to K.S. Bhaskar on Thu Apr 8 00:33:04 2021
    K.S. Bhaskar schrieb am Dienstag, 29. September 2020 um 16:09:44 UTC+2:
    On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 9:27:29 AM UTC-4, winfrie...@e-ntwicklung.de wrote:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Hello Bashkar,

Greetings

Winfried
    Winfried –

The goal is to take M code written by different programmers and get it into a consistent format. I don't have many specific rules in mind, but the format should be consistent in order to improve readability, e.g.:

Regards
    – Bhaskar

I've written an Extension for Visual Studio Code, which provides a Debugger, Syntax-Highlighting, Help with Function-Signatures and Formatting Help.
    It has also a new Feature to toggle between short and long M Commands.(Open M-File and press Ctrl-E) It's not tested too much but looks good so far.

Regards Jens

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Valeriu Gontia@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 8 22:39:17 2021
    четверг, 8 апреля 2021 г. в 10:33:05 UTC+3, Jens:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Hello Bashkar,

Greetings

Winfried
    Winfried –

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    I've written an Extension for Visual Studio Code, which provides a Debugger, Syntax-Highlighting, Help with Function-Signatures and Formatting Help.
    It has also a new Feature to toggle between short and long M Commands.(Open M-File and press Ctrl-E) It's not tested too much but looks good so far.

Regards Jens

Good day !
    I'm interested in this topic. I myself developed an editor for M using the CodeMirror utility and FCGI W. Bantel. (special thanks to him!)
    I can't connect to the GT.M database from your application in any way - i do everything according to the instructions as described. I don't see a list of routines ... I'm working on a client with VS Code Windows. The server is on CENTOS 8. What am i
    doing wrong?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jens@21:1/5 to gont...@gmail.com on Fri Apr 9 05:36:05 2021
    gont...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 9. April 2021 um 07:39:18 UTC+2:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Hello Bashkar,

Greetings

Winfried
    Winfried –

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Regards Jens
    Good day !
    I'm interested in this topic. I myself developed an editor for M using the CodeMirror utility and FCGI W. Bantel. (special thanks to him!)
    I can't connect to the GT.M database from your application in any way - i do everything according to the instructions as described. I don't see a list of routines ... I'm working on a client with VS Code Windows. The server is on CENTOS 8. What am i
    doing wrong?

MDEBUG just provides the control over the Debug-Process. I'm working with the routines-directory over a samba share mapped to Drive y: on windows.
    Tell me if this works for you too.
    -------- relevant part of /etc/samba/smb.conf :

[routines]
    comment = Mumps routines
    path = /var/lib/yottadb/r
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes

----------------------------

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Valeriu Gontia@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 9 09:19:11 2021
    пятница, 9 апреля 2021 г. в 15:36:06 UTC+3, Jens:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Hello Bashkar,

Greetings

Winfried
    Winfried –

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Regards Jens
    Good day !
    doing wrong?
    MDEBUG just provides the control over the Debug-Process. I'm working with the routines-directory over a samba share mapped to Drive y: on windows.

[routines]
    comment = Mumps routines
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes

I use the WinSCP utility and there in the settings I specify which editor to open (those VS Code)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jens@21:1/5 to gont...@gmail.com on Sat Apr 10 07:21:28 2021
    gont...@gmail.com schrieb am Freitag, 9. April 2021 um 18:19:12 UTC+2:
    пятница, 9 апреля 2021 г. в 15:36:06 UTC+3, Jens:

Regards
    – Bhaskar
    Hello Bashkar,

Greetings

Winfried
    Winfried –

Regards
    – Bhaskar

Regards Jens
    Good day !
    I can't connect to the GT.M database from your application in any way - i do everything according to the instructions as described. I don't see a list of routines ... I'm working on a client with VS Code Windows. The server is on CENTOS 8. What am
    i doing wrong?

[routines]
    comment = Mumps routines
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes

I use the WinSCP utility and there in the settings I specify which editor to open (those VS Code)
    The Problem is, that the Debugger doesn't know where to find source files in your case. So you have to use the Samba share or alternatively the Remote-SSH Extension for VS-Code.
    If you use Remote SSH you have to edit the launch.json and set the "localRoutinesPath" to "/var/lib/yottadb/r/" for Example.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05