• A little talk to cfbsoftware

From giahung1997tn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 27 05:20:34 2020
    I want to make a suggestion: What about a free version of CpIDE? Completely free, not an inexpensive version. As my little research with Google show, you earn money mostly from Astrobe, not CpIDE, even though it's based on CpIDE. And you have not updated
    CpIDE since 2017. Why don't you provide a free version of CpIDE?

You could limit it usage to non-commercial software only and require paid license if the people want to develop commercial software with it. As I see, CpIDE is very similar to PascalABC.NET, and IMHO has no advantage over PascalABC.NET other than the
    later's documents is not fully translated to English. But because I prefer the language Oberon to the hybrid syntax of PascalABC.NET (it borrowed from C too much) and would suggest CpIDE to my friends but most people will not want to invest money to buy
    CpIDE. A free version allow them to play with the IDE and have good experience with the language.

p/s: I understand your reasons of not making it free, though. It takes time and efforts to develop a product and no one want to make it free. There could be people that develop there software with a free CpIDE then compile with another free compiler then
    you will receive no thing. And IMHO, the restriction I proposed above is not reasonable, too. As products have such restriction usually also own or control the compiler and the runtime library but you don't own or control GCPC. So I'm not sure it's legal
    to impose such a restriction. Anyway, it's all up to you. I'm looking forward to your answer. Regards.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From cfbsoftware@gmail.com@21:1/5 to giahun...@gmail.com on Fri Mar 27 17:04:28 2020
    On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 10:50:34 PM UTC+10:30, giahun...@gmail.com wrote:
    I want to make a suggestion: What about a free version of CpIDE?

Older versions are available for no cost. For example:

https://download.cnet.com/CPIde/3000-10250_4-10608075.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From giahung1997tn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 29 22:31:08 2020
    Vào 07:04:29 UTC+7 Thứ Bảy, ngày 28 tháng 3 năm 2020, cfbso...@gmail.com đã viết:
    I want to make a suggestion: What about a free version of CpIDE?

Older versions are available for no cost. For example:

https://download.cnet.com/CPIde/3000-10250_4-10608075.html

The page said it to be trial ware. If you really want to give them for free you should provide them on your page, not cnet. Ublock origin always blocks cnet, it seemed to be a not reliable source to download software.

Sincere.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cfbsoftware@gmail.com@21:1/5 to giahun...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 30 13:28:29 2020
    On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 4:01:09 PM UTC+10:30, giahun...@gmail.com wrote:
    Ublock origin always blocks cnet, it seemed to be a not reliable source to download software.

We have been using CNet to distribute our software for more than 20 years and have found it to be one of the most trustworthy sites to work with. Try accessing it via www.download.com if you having problems with your ISP, or try a different ISP.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cfbsoftware@gmail.com@21:1/5 to giahun...@gmail.com on Tue Mar 31 01:42:24 2020
    Vào 07:04:29 UTC+7 Thứ Bảy, ngày 28 tháng 3 năm 2020, cfbso...@gmail.com đã viết:

The page said it to be trial ware.

If you want to use a Component Pascal software system but you don't want any restrictions and do not want to pay any money for it then I recommend Blackbox Component Pascal:

http://blackboxframework.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From giahung1997tn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 1 06:00:51 2020
    Vào 03:28:30 UTC+7 Thứ Ba, ngày 31 tháng 3 năm 2020, cfbso...@gmail.com đã viết:
    Ublock origin always blocks cnet, it seemed to be a not reliable source to download software.

We have been using CNet to distribute our software for more than 20 years and have found it to be one of the most trustworthy sites to work with. Try accessing it via www.download.com if you having problems with your ISP, or try a different ISP.

The problem is with Ublock Origin. It blocks all of cnet download links and said the links are harmful.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From giahung1997tn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 1 06:19:08 2020
    Vào 15:42:25 UTC+7 Thứ Ba, ngày 31 tháng 3 năm 2020, cfbso...@gmail.com đã viết:

The page said it to be trial ware.

If you want to use a Component Pascal software system but you don't want any restrictions and do not want to pay any money for it then I recommend Blackbox Component Pascal:

http://blackboxframework.org

That thing is the first I try. It's not worth to be called an IDE. It sucked hard. No code completion. Even no syntax highlighting. It looked like something from the Windows 95 era. Outdated and even not possible to generate 64 bit binary. In summary, it'
    s totally sucks.

What we need is an proper IDE. And the only proper IDE I found is your CpIDE. Don't said about XDS, I tried it but it also sucks. This thing was not updated for a long time and will not work with modern version of eclipse. And why do we have to download
    this 350mb beast eclipse and another hundred of megabytes beast Java runtime to just have an IDE? If I'm potential user I will just dump this Component Pascal into trash. But why called it Pascal when it's indeed an Oberon, I wonder? If it's really for
    marketing purpose, it failed miserably.

And unfortunately, CpIDE doesn't offer a free version. As I will left this group I don't have anything to fear to tell from my gut: Your prices for CpIDE is delusional. If I have to spend that much money I will just buy something else. There are much
    better solutions. But I understand why this prices, though. Yes, you have users. Yes, you have notable and famous industrial users. But your user base is indeed very small. You have to charge them more to have profit. That's it! You are not the only
    delusional child in the town, there are Eiffel and Delphi, too. And their user base are shrinking and shrinking more and more over time.

Sincere, and bye.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cfbsoftware@gmail.com@21:1/5 to giahun...@gmail.com on Wed Apr 1 12:26:44 2020
    On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 11:30:52 PM UTC+10:30, giahun...@gmail.com wrote:
    Vào 03:28:30 UTC+7 Thứ Ba, ngày 31 tháng 3 năm 2020, cfbso...@gmail.com đã viết:

The problem is with Ublock Origin. It blocks all of cnet download links and said the links are harmful.

Don't use Ublock Origin if it gives you false positives.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nemo@21:1/5 to giahung1997tn@gmail.com on Thu Apr 2 11:33:35 2020
    On 04/01/20 09:19, giahung1997tn@gmail.com wrote (in part):
    [...]
    If I have to spend that much money I will just buy something else.
    There are much better solutions.

You are free to buy and use whatever solution you find appropriate.
    Even better, you are free to write your own IDE and release it for free.

You are not the only delusional child in the town, there are Eiffel
    and Delphi, too.

There are open-source versions of Eiffel.

N.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lsnce Schwerdfager@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 7 18:07:09 2020
    I find this discussion to be quite revealing. As a retired software developer, I am quite aware of just how much time and effort is needed to develop a product of value. When one has a family to support plus the usual taxation of effort by spendthrift
    governments, etc., one HAS to earn money to survive.

Issuing freeware can be done of course at the developer's discretion, but it is often done as a loss leader to build up one's reputation, create follow-on (paying) business, etc.

Seriously useful software products often cost much to create in the first place and so it's only fair that users of those products pay for their use. If developers are expected to devote most of their time and talents for free, how can they own up to
    their responsibilities re: living expenses, family and taxes? That's a quick route to getting absolutely nowhere.

The writer has worked with BlackBox Component Pascal for years now and it continues to be my favourite software development environment. It is free (amazingly enough as it's a superb product) but it's clear that Oberon Microsystems obtains its revenue
    elsewhere in developing systems. We can be grateful that Oberon Microsystems did release their development system to the public domain, thus giving its users a chance to learn how to use it and adopt its philosophy.

--
    Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
    http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05