• An Oberon-07 compiler for the ESP32

From Guy T.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 22 05:04:56 2020
    Hello all,

Just to let you know that I'm in the process of building an Oberon-07 compiler for the ESP32 chip, based on the Project Oberon compiler. Still a work in progress but a good part of the compiler is working well. It took me around 4 weeks (full time effort)
    to develop and I'm in the debugging phase since 3 weeks (part time).

You can find it here: https://github.com/turgu1/esp32-oberon-compiler

Cheers!

Guy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Wendel Wang@21:1/5 to Guy T. on Fri Nov 13 07:57:34 2020
    On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 12:04:57 PM UTC, Guy T. wrote:
    Hello all,

Just to let you know that I'm in the process of building an Oberon-07 compiler for the ESP32 chip, based on the Project Oberon compiler. Still a work in progress but a good part of the compiler is working well. It took me around 4 weeks (full time
    effort) to develop and I'm in the debugging phase since 3 weeks (part time).

Cheers!

Guy

Hi Guy.

How is this getting on?
    Also, can I ask a stupid question? I am not knowledgeable in bare-metal at all, why do you have to write a compiler for ESP32? I thought that OBNC can tartget everything that has a C compiler.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Guy T.@21:1/5 to Wendel Wang on Sat Nov 14 08:48:23 2020
    Hello Wendel,

The ESP32 Oberon compiler is able to compile for the ESP32. I've written/imported many test cases that are working fine. When I left the development, some header files from ESP-IDF have been translated to Oberon.

There is still work to do to translate other parts but also to get it able to take as many header files as possible from the ESP-IDF. I've put the project on pause as I'm working on another prioritized project. I hope to complete the effort after
    Christmas time. Still not sure if the translation is doable as the SDK is very large, time will tell. A better alternative would be an automated 'just in time' translator embedded in the compiler.

The OBNC would have been an alternative. In fact, I'm using it to compile the compiler on a Linux machine... I've done this project as a way to build a compiler from the last Niklaus Wirth source codeversion. It is a learning effort. The result is
    useable but may require further tests.

Cheers!

Guy

On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 10:57:35 AM UTC-5, Wendel Wang wrote:
    On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 12:04:57 PM UTC, Guy T. wrote:
    Hello all,

Just to let you know that I'm in the process of building an Oberon-07 compiler for the ESP32 chip, based on the Project Oberon compiler. Still a work in progress but a good part of the compiler is working well. It took me around 4 weeks (full time
    effort) to develop and I'm in the debugging phase since 3 weeks (part time).

Cheers!

Guy
    Hi Guy.

How is this getting on?
    Also, can I ask a stupid question? I am not knowledgeable in bare-metal at all, why do you have to write a compiler for ESP32? I thought that OBNC can tartget everything that has a C compiler.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05