• finding star-like objects in images

From Helder@21:1/5 to wlandsman on Mon Nov 27 03:29:24 2017
    On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 15:24:00 UTC+1, wlandsman wrote:
    You could try find.pro based on a popular software package(DAOPHOT) used by astronomers
    https://idlastro.gsfc.nasa.gov/ftp/pro/idlphot/find.pro
    The image is convolved with a lowered Gaussian with the approximate FWHM of the stars.

Note, though, that astronomers want to detect stars but not cosmic rays so there are sharpness and roundness criteria (with stars being less sharp and more round than cosmic rays).

--Wayne

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 5:12:06 AM UTC-5, Helder wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm not an astronomer and I guess that this is something that astronomers have been confronted with quite often in their lives.
    I have a detector where particle events generate intensity across some pixels (2-5 x 2-5) [*]. Typically their integral intensity is constant (lets say 100 +/- 20). These events show over a noisy bkg.
    Apart from having a constant intensity, these events are similar to stars (that have a varying luminosity).

What approaches are typically used for detecting/locating such events?

Any IDL solution readily available out there?

Thanks for reading so far and for any suggestions.

Regards,
    Helder

[*] - threshold methods would not work very well, because the total intensity of 100 may be distributed over 2x2 pixels (~25 per pixel) or 5x5 (~10 per pixel).

Dear Markus and Wayne,
    thank you very much for your insight. It took me some time implement the above (as part of a bigger analysis) and I'm now very happy with it.
    Regards,
    Helder

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)