• spam is destroying this group

From Patrick Broos@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 21 13:42:27 2017
    I find that I'm less and less inclined to participate in our useful IDL group because the fraction of spam messages seems to be going up and up. Is there any way to save our group from this scourge?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gombgg@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 21 14:06:09 2017
    Ditto. This really should be a moderated group instead of wide open usenet. But I suppose the only alternative is the Harris IDL forum.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From superchromix@21:1/5 to gom...@gmail.com on Wed Nov 22 01:12:53 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 11:06:11 PM UTC+1, gom...@gmail.com wrote:
    Ditto. This really should be a moderated group instead of wide open usenet. But I suppose the only alternative is the Harris IDL forum.

how can we change this to a moderated group? Personally, I use the "report post" feature of google groups, which hides the spam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Mats_L=C3=B6fdahl?=@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 22 01:16:19 2017
    Den tisdag 21 november 2017 kl. 22:42:28 UTC+1 skrev Patrick Broos:
    I find that I'm less and less inclined to participate in our useful IDL group because the fraction of spam messages seems to be going up and up. Is there any way to save our group from this scourge?

If you use google groups to read it, you can report messages as spam. I don't know if this has any consequences for the spammers but at least the messages are then hidden from you. And as some spammers keep posting in their own threads, that's even
    better because these follow-up spams are then hidden from you without any further action from you.

Other news readers may have other mechanisms for filtering contents.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nikola Vitas@21:1/5 to Patrick Broos on Wed Nov 22 01:26:49 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 9:42:28 PM UTC, Patrick Broos wrote:

I read the group by opening the link that I receive by email. Although I have reported a spam post, it remains visible - I guess because it's not just an initial post but there is many spam replies making it the most active topic in the group?

Can't agree more that the group should be moderated.

Cheers,
    Nikola

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Patrick Broos@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 22 10:12:01 2017
    I had never heard of the Harris IDL forum before your post.

If anyone from Harris is listening, you should really think about finding a way to combine these two mechanisms for IDL users to communicate, in a way that preserves the best features of both environments. Not an easy task, I suppose. But, if you don't
    engage the next generation of IDL programmers, IDL will fade into dust.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From superchromix@21:1/5 to Patrick Broos on Thu Nov 23 16:46:54 2017
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 10:42:28 PM UTC+1, Patrick Broos wrote:

I would encourage everyone to use Google Groups to read the newsgroup. Hiding spam is a nice feature. The group can be found at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.idl-pvwave/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Helder@21:1/5 to Patrick Broos on Fri Nov 24 00:34:44 2017
    On Tuesday, 21 November 2017 22:42:28 UTC+1, Patrick Broos wrote:

I agree that spam is awful. However, as others mentioned, google groups web helps in labeling spam and hiding it.
    I'm not really in favor of a moderated group, only because of the time delay between submission and publication of posts.
    And, apart from the obvious spam messages, this group is very civil and it is the second place I look for information. First place is still the IDL's Help.

Cheers,
    Helder

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Patrick Broos@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 24 06:37:23 2017
    I do use Google Groups. I'm just not willing to spend the time opening every spam entry and "reporting" it as spam. If hiding a post was just one click, this level of spam might be tolerable. Perhaps there's some trick to the Google Groups GUI that I
    haven't noticed ....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From superchromix@21:1/5 to Patrick Broos on Fri Nov 24 10:44:23 2017
    On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:37:25 PM UTC+1, Patrick Broos wrote:
    I do use Google Groups. I'm just not willing to spend the time opening every spam entry and "reporting" it as spam. If hiding a post was just one click, this level of spam might be tolerable. Perhaps there's some trick to the Google Groups GUI that
    I haven't noticed ....

If you flag the first post of a thread as spam, Google groups will automatically hide the rest of the posts in that thread.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gombgg@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 24 15:24:39 2017
    There appears to be about a 25% spam ratio lately, and having to open spam threads and manually mark each of them is not a viable solution. If this was a non-Usenet Google group, then the owner could implement an automatic spam filter without needing to
    moderate every post.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wlandsman@21:1/5 to gom...@gmail.com on Sun Nov 26 19:17:18 2017
    On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 6:24:41 PM UTC-5, gom...@gmail.com wrote:
    There appears to be about a 25% spam ratio lately, and having to open spam threads and manually mark each of them is not a viable solution. If this was a non-Usenet Google group, then the owner could implement an automatic spam filter without needing
    to moderate every post.

Until about a year ago, a user marking a comp.lang.idl-pvwave thread as spam on Google groups would remove it from the feed for *everyone*. I am not sure why Google ended this nice feature, but I suspect that supporting Usenet groups is very low on
    their priority list.

A problem with switching from Usenet to Google, Yahoo or Facebook groups is that one needs to first create a Google, Yahoo, or Facebook identity in order to post. This is also true for the Harris newsgroup, which (besides being clunky) requires one
    to register with Harris in order to post. (Of course, the ability of anyone to post to Usenet also makes it more susceptible to spam.) StackExchange might be a solution but I suspect the small community of IDL users could get lost in that giant
    software forum.

If we needed to create a new forum, I guess my vote would be for a (non-Usenet) Google group. But I'm not sure we are at that point yet, since (as mentioned before) one can "Report abuse" with Google groups with a single click, and all subsequent
    posts to that thread are automatically hidden. --Wayne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From laura.hike@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Patrick Broos on Wed Nov 29 16:45:59 2017
    On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 6:37:25 AM UTC-8, Patrick Broos wrote:
    I do use Google Groups. I'm just not willing to spend the time opening every spam entry and "reporting" it as spam. If hiding a post was just one click, this level of spam might be tolerable. Perhaps there's some trick to the Google Groups GUI that
    I haven't noticed ....

My view entirely.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ben Castellani@21:1/5 to Patrick Broos on Thu Nov 30 12:02:26 2017
    On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 11:12:03 AM UTC-7, Patrick Broos wrote:
    I had never heard of the Harris IDL forum before your post.

If anyone from Harris is listening, you should really think about finding a way to combine these two mechanisms for IDL users to communicate, in a way that preserves the best features of both environments. Not an easy task, I suppose. But, if you don'
    t engage the next generation of IDL programmers, IDL will fade into dust.

We highly recommend that you post your questions in the official IDL Forum: http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/Forums/tabid/2342/aff/217/Default.aspx

This is monitored daily and is moderated, but you do need to be a registered user of HarrisGeospatial.com. There is a (slight) delay to approve topics and replies.

We also check this Google forum as well, but we will respond here much less frequently. We are evaluating options to improve the overall experience for IDL users in the community forums, and therefore greatly value your feedback!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nikola Vitas@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 5 01:28:05 2017
    Perhaps the group does not need to be moderated as long as someone has right to remove spam from the group. I'm getting daily digest from the group on my email. Although I reported all the spam, I still see them in the digest. It's becoming increasingly
    annoying. It's also very bad for attracting new users.

Is there any way to appoint a moderator at all? Does it matter who founded the group ages ago?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From yamo'@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 7 11:16:17 2017
    Hi,

Patrick Broos a écrit le 21/11/2017 à 22:42 :

Google is the source of 99.99 % of spam on usenet.
    In some server, google posts are banned!

For reading, with a spam cleaning system, you can read from an nntp server.

And google doesn't accept cancel for spam.

I can give you an access (for free, it's an hobby, and my server is only running on a raspberry).

I don't know where is a good list for big8 but for the fr hierarchy,
    there is a list of servers : <http://usenet-fr.redatomik.org/view/Liste_de_serveurs> The first one, eternal-september doesn't filter spam.

Best regards,

--
    Sorry for possible mistakes in English...
    Stéphane

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wlandsman@21:1/5 to Nikola Vitas on Sun Dec 10 18:41:31 2017
    I am going to try going through the process of creating a moderated newsgroup comp.lang.idl-envi

Much of the information online about creating a moderated newsgroup appears to be outdated, with a lot of broken links. However, it appears that new moderated newsgroups have been successfully created this year, so I will go ahead and create a RFD (
    request for discussion).

I chose the name because (1) apparently it is very difficult to switch a group to moderated and keep the same name (2) the name comp.lang.idl is reserved for the completely unrelated Interface Definition Language, (3) there have been only a handful of
    posts about PV-WAVE in this group since 1992, when PV-WAVE began diverging from its common origin with IDL, and (4) given the number of previous ownership changes, I don't believe we can assume a continued association of IDL with Harris Geospatial.
    However, the association of IDL with Envi seems quite firm. (It seems that Envi is currently the main driver of developments to the IDL language.)

If I succeed in creating a moderated newsgroup, it would be useful to have one or two other moderators, preferably in a different time zone than me. (I am in Washington DC). I would also eventually need to have other users vote in favor of the
    creation of the moderated newsgroup.

My experience with moderated newsgroups is that they are quite effective in eliminating spam, although there can be a delay of a few hours before a post appears. But posting will still be available to anyone without any registration.

Comments welcome. --Wayne

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 4:28:09 AM UTC-5, Nikola Vitas wrote:
    Perhaps the group does not need to be moderated as long as someone has right to remove spam from the group. I'm getting daily digest from the group on my email. Although I reported all the spam, I still see them in the digest. It's becoming
    increasingly annoying. It's also very bad for attracting new users.

Is there any way to appoint a moderator at all? Does it matter who founded the group ages ago?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Mats_L=C3=B6fdahl?=@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 11 01:22:42 2017
    Den måndag 11 december 2017 kl. 03:41:33 UTC+1 skrev wlandsman:
    I am going to try going through the process of creating a moderated newsgroup comp.lang.idl-envi

Much of the information online about creating a moderated newsgroup appears to be outdated, with a lot of broken links. However, it appears that new moderated newsgroups have been successfully created this year, so I will go ahead and create a RFD (
    request for discussion).

I chose the name because (1) apparently it is very difficult to switch a group to moderated and keep the same name (2) the name comp.lang.idl is reserved for the completely unrelated Interface Definition Language, (3) there have been only a handful of
    posts about PV-WAVE in this group since 1992, when PV-WAVE began diverging from its common origin with IDL, and (4) given the number of previous ownership changes, I don't believe we can assume a continued association of IDL with Harris Geospatial.
    However, the association of IDL with Envi seems quite firm. (It seems that Envi is currently the main driver of developments to the IDL language.)

If I succeed in creating a moderated newsgroup, it would be useful to have one or two other moderators, preferably in a different time zone than me. (I am in Washington DC). I would also eventually need to have other users vote in favor of the

My experience with moderated newsgroups is that they are quite effective in eliminating spam, although there can be a delay of a few hours before a post appears. But posting will still be available to anyone without any registration.

Perhaps the group does not need to be moderated as long as someone has right to remove spam from the group. I'm getting daily digest from the group on my email. Although I reported all the spam, I still see them in the digest. It's becoming

Sounds like a great idea!

/Mats

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From superchromix@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 11 04:34:22 2017
    On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 10:22:45 AM UTC+1, Mats Löfdahl wrote:
    Den måndag 11 december 2017 kl. 03:41:33 UTC+1 skrev wlandsman:

Much of the information online about creating a moderated newsgroup appears to be outdated, with a lot of broken links. However, it appears that new moderated newsgroups have been successfully created this year, so I will go ahead and create a
    RFD (request for discussion).

I chose the name because (1) apparently it is very difficult to switch a group to moderated and keep the same name (2) the name comp.lang.idl is reserved for the completely unrelated Interface Definition Language, (3) there have been only a handful
    of posts about PV-WAVE in this group since 1992, when PV-WAVE began diverging from its common origin with IDL, and (4) given the number of previous ownership changes, I don't believe we can assume a continued association of IDL with Harris Geospatial.

Sounds like a great idea!

/Mats

Why not also inquire about switching this group to "moderated"? The value of this newsgroup is the accumulated history of the messages.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wlandsman@21:1/5 to superchromix on Mon Dec 11 07:58:11 2017
    On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 7:34:25 AM UTC-5, superchromix wrote:

Why not also inquire about switching this group to "moderated"? The value of this newsgroup is the accumulated history of the messages.

Yes, it would be ideal to keep the same name. I have read that this is difficult because individual Usenet servers would need to be updated to identify the group as moderated, and spam could still get through on those servers that are not updated.
    But I have asked if this is possible on

news.announce.newgroups
    news.groups.proposals

--Wayne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nikola Vitas@21:1/5 to wlandsman on Fri Dec 15 02:55:05 2017
    On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 3:58:15 PM UTC, wlandsman wrote:

Yes, it would be ideal to keep the same name. I have read that this is difficult because individual Usenet servers would need to be updated to identify the group as moderated, and spam could still get through on those servers that are not updated.

news.announce.newgroups
    news.groups.proposals

--Wayne

If you still need someone to moderate the new list, I'd be happy to help. I'm in UTC+0.

Is there a way to archive the history of this group? I found a couple of tips around, but haven't tried any of these. For example:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23522705/download-all-messages-from-a-google-group

Best,
    Nikola

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wayne Landsman@21:1/5 to Nikola Vitas on Tue Dec 26 14:23:57 2017
    Nikola, thanks for the offer. I have delayed trying to get a
    moderated newsgroup for reasons I will explain in a subsequent post.

Meanwhile, those with access to Mozilla Thunderbird can use their news
    reader capability to eliminate most spam. I use the server
    nntp.aioe.org. I then have access to the usual mail filters to
    eliminate certain users ("asmagan" "soma") or common keywords in spam
    headers. I find that I can eliminate 95% of the spam with five
    filters, and the rest are permanently deleted with a single click.

Unfortunately, most mail systems (e.g. Outlook, Apple mail) do not offer
    access to news readers so this is not a general solution.

--Wayne

On 12/15/2017 05:55 AM, Nikola Vitas wrote:
    On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 3:58:15 PM UTC, wlandsman wrote:

news.announce.newgroups
    news.groups.proposals

--Wayne

If you still need someone to moderate the new list, I'd be happy to help. I'm in UTC+0.

Is there a way to archive the history of this group? I found a couple of tips around, but haven't tried any of these. For example:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23522705/download-all-messages-from-a-google-group

Best,
    Nikola

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From laura.hike@gmail.com@21:1/5 to superchromix on Wed Dec 27 12:24:28 2017
    On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 4:46:56 PM UTC-8, superchromix wrote:
    On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 10:42:28 PM UTC+1, Patrick Broos wrote:

I would encourage everyone to use Google Groups to read the newsgroup. Hiding spam is a nice feature. The group can be found at:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.idl-pvwave/

I use google groups to read this newsgroup, but don't know of any way to eliminate the spam.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From laura.hike@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wlandsman on Wed Dec 27 12:26:38 2017
    On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 7:17:20 PM UTC-8, wlandsman wrote:
    On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 6:24:41 PM UTC-5, gom...@gmail.com wrote:
    There appears to be about a 25% spam ratio lately, and having to open spam threads and manually mark each of them is not a viable solution. If this was a non-Usenet Google group, then the owner could implement an automatic spam filter without needing
    to moderate every post.

Until about a year ago, a user marking a comp.lang.idl-pvwave thread as spam on Google groups would remove it from the feed for *everyone*. I am not sure why Google ended this nice feature, but I suspect that supporting Usenet groups is very low on
    their priority list.

A problem with switching from Usenet to Google, Yahoo or Facebook groups is that one needs to first create a Google, Yahoo, or Facebook identity in order to post. This is also true for the Harris newsgroup, which (besides being clunky) requires one
    to register with Harris in order to post. (Of course, the ability of anyone to post to Usenet also makes it more susceptible to spam.) StackExchange might be a solution but I suspect the small community of IDL users could get lost in that giant
    software forum.

If we needed to create a new forum, I guess my vote would be for a (non-Usenet) Google group. But I'm not sure we are at that point yet, since (as mentioned before) one can "Report abuse" with Google groups with a single click, and all subsequent
    posts to that thread are automatically hidden. --Wayne

But how many of the spam messages are follow-up posts and how many are new?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From laura.hike@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wlandsman on Wed Dec 27 12:28:34 2017
    On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 6:41:33 PM UTC-8, wlandsman wrote:

request for discussion).

The problem with having a moderator is that posts will be delayed. One of the beauties of this group is that you can get a response while you're still working on the problem. I can't imagine a moderator waiting around to approve posts every time one is
    made.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wlandsman@21:1/5 to Patrick Broos on Fri Jan 5 10:14:49 2018
    To avoid the flood of spam here, I encourage comp.lang.idl-pvwave users to move over to the Google Group idl-pvwave at

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/idl-pvwave

You need to have a Google account, and to press the button asking to join the idl-pvwave group. I hope this does not dissuade too many people on comp.lang.idl-pvwave from moving to idl-pvwave. The owners of the group (currently only me but I hope
    to add a couple of other people) will be able to see the complete Google email that you are using.

--Wayne Landsman

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 4:42:28 PM UTC-5, Patrick Broos wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From superchromix@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 7 11:33:04 2018
    Can we simply convert comp.lang.idl-pvwave to a moderated group? Even using Google Groups, the amount of new spam threads each day is making the group unusable. A new group is not a great solution, since we would lose all of the history here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Helder@21:1/5 to superchromix on Sun Jan 7 23:04:17 2018
    On Sunday, 7 January 2018 20:33:07 UTC+1, superchromix wrote:
    Can we simply convert comp.lang.idl-pvwave to a moderated group? Even using Google Groups, the amount of new spam threads each day is making the group unusable. A new group is not a great solution, since we would lose all of the history here.

Hi,
    I agree, but it appears as if "simply convert" does not apply. The "why" is hinted here:
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.idl-pvwave/u1pO0bNQbWQ/G07GoRHKAwAJ

I hope it helps.
    H.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stefan Ram@21:1/5 to wlandsman on Mon Jan 8 14:36:28 2018
    wlandsman <wlandsman@gmail.com> writes:
    To avoid the flood of spam here, I encourage
    comp.lang.idl-pvwave users to move over to the Google Group
    idl-pvwave at

When I go to the Google Groups display of a Usenet group,
    it is - in fact - full of spam. But in my newsreader,
    I do not see any spam (well, very rarely) because my
    killfile has deleted the spam. So, I prefer to stay in
    the Usenet. Admittedly, I'm not a regular poster on
    comp.lang.idl-pvwave, just read this thread by coincidence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05