• Container Overview for Java Programmers

From Wayne@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 20 15:10:04 2021
    Virtual machines (VMs) provide good isolation for multiple applications running on
    the same server hardware. But VMs are not perfect. They take a long time to boot
    up, must be all kept up to date with patches, and the redundant software takes lots of unnecessary storage and memory (and hence, money). Developers need to know details such as setting up security and networking for the VM’s operating
    system.

Datacenters today are shifting away from VMs. Instead, they run containers on the physical servers. Containers are self-contained execution environments (not the OS though), each with its own private resources such as CPU, memory, block I/O, and NICs (network connections).

Compared to a VM, a container is very lightweight. The physical servers run the Linux OS instead of a hypervisor. (To run containers on a Windows OS, a Linux VM is needed to in turn run the containers.) That one OS has the ability to isolate a set of processes from other such sets. Each set of processes, together with a private filesystem, is a container. Because they are simple processes (and some setup and configuration info), containers are fast to start. There is no redundant storage wasted for the OS. You do not run a separate OS for each.

While many operating systems supported containers in the past, creating, deploying, and managing them was a pain. Docker changed that by defining a Docker (or container) image, which is composed of several immutable sets of files, overlaid on top of each other, with only the topmost layer writable by the running container. This clever design means that each container can be self-contained with all the DLLs, services, and files it needs. Because of
    the overlay structure, if you had 100 containers all using the same (for example) MariaDB files, you only need storage for one copy of that! Docker assembles the container image at runtime.

That topmost writable layer is ephemeral; any additions or changes to files done by the running container are lost once the container stops! For persistent storage, you need to attach a storage volume (commonly, just “volume”) to write to, or use a remote storage service (the sort provided by
    clouds). You need to keep this in mind as you develop software for containers!

Note: You can however build a container image a step at a time: start your container and add/change whatever files you wish. When you stop the
    container, the state is not reset immediately. You can find the just-updated container and do a commit to update the corresponding container image. You
    can repeat this many times to build a container image a bit at a time.

In addition to having tools to create and generally manage Docker images, Docker maintains a repository of popular prebuilt images that are ready to
    use. (Your organization can also use private repositories of images, known as registries.) Finally, Docker provides simple tools to start containers from the downloaded or built images and to manage all running containers. All the lowest level, the virtualization work is handled by Docker so programmers need not worry about it.

Delivering an application using a container is called a containerized application. Such applications are self-contained and can work on nearly any system without porting! Java works well with containers.

Containers are also useful for running untrusted code. (Those web sites that allow you to upload code and run it generally use containers to do so.)

It is not unusual to have a container with all your build tools and
    development environment, including all testing and code review tools. To work on software, you would launch your IDE in this container. The output is used to build the containerized app (a separate container). This method ensures
    all developers use the exact same development environment, and that this environment can be recreated exactly, years later if needed, to update old code.

CI/CD setups make such work-flows nearly painless: you fire up your containerized IDE, work on code, and do a push to the shared repo when ready. Every other step (except for human code review) is or can be automated.

Note: There are some additional steps, including building the application container, testing that (as opposed to building and testing the app directly which you still do), cleaning and minimizing the app’s container image, digitally signing it, and adding it to a container registry (a repo of container images).

Sometimes a service is composed of several containers working together and which depend on either other. A container orchestration tool is used to
    manage these sets of containers (called a pod) and to monitor and manage
    them. This also needs to be defined and setup. A complex but common tool for this today is called Kubernetes. (For example, an application service using 3 web servers, 3 application servers, 2 database servers, and a log server, and maybe a storage volume, might all form a single pod.)

Don’t let all the complexity put you off. You can get started easily by installing Docker and using a prebuilt container image for plain JDK Java, Maven or Gradle Java, Java EE (often using Tomcat), Spring, etc.: create and test a Java app or service in the they way you’ve always done, commit the change to the container image, and you’re done.

Of course, Docker isn’t the only container system out there, there are lots. But Docker is by far the most popular and has contributed most of their stuff to the open container initiative, which is striving to make such containers portable and not dependent on Linux.

Currently Linux is required. You can use Docker on Windows by running a Linux VM that in turn runs all the containers. Like datacenters of VMs, datacenters of containers have the same management and monitoring needs. Only they use different software for this, often called container orchestration engines (COEs). Examples include Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, and Mesos.

Hope that was accurate and useful.

--
    Wayne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Daniele Futtorovic@21:1/5 to Wayne on Thu Dec 30 13:41:50 2021
    On 2021-12-20 21:10, Wayne wrote:
    It is not unusual to have a container with all your build tools and development environment, including all testing and code review tools.
    To work
    on software, you would launch your IDE in this container. The output is used
    to build the containerized app (a separate container). This method
    ensures
    all developers use the exact same development environment, and that this environment can be recreated exactly, years later if needed, to update
    old code.

CI/CD setups make such work-flows nearly painless: you fire up your containerized IDE, work on code, and do a push to the shared repo when ready.
    Every other step (except for human code review) is or can be automated.
    I've seen many cases where the build/test phase would be executed inside
    a container. The build might yield an executable or an image for runtime container.

But I've never seen the case where the development itself ("launch your
    IDE in a container") would take place in a container. Can people confirm
    that this is an established practice? Docker containers generally don't
    have display ports...

Currently Linux is required. You can use Docker on Windows by running a Linux
    VM that in turn runs all the containers.
    Docker is supported on Windows 10 and MacOS.

--
    DF.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wayne@21:1/5 to Daniele Futtorovic on Fri Dec 31 16:54:22 2021
    On 12/30/2021 7:41 AM, Daniele Futtorovic wrote:

It is not unusual to have a container with all your build tools and development environment, including all testing and code review tools.
    To work
    on software, you would launch your IDE in this container.  The output is used
    to build the containerized app (a separate container).  This method ensures
    all developers use the exact same development environment, and that this environment can be recreated exactly, years later if needed, to update
    old code.

CI/CD setups make such work-flows nearly painless: you fire up your containerized IDE, work on code, and do a push to the shared repo when ready.
    Every other step (except for human code review) is or can be automated.
    I've seen many cases where the build/test phase would be executed inside a container.
    The build might yield an executable or an image for runtime container.

But I've never seen the case where the development itself ("launch your IDE in a
    container") would take place in a container. Can people confirm that this is an
    established practice? Docker containers generally don't have display ports...

Currently Linux is required.  You can use Docker on Windows by running a Linux
    VM that in turn runs all the containers.
    Docker is supported on Windows 10 and MacOS.

The thing is, Linux containers *do* support running GUIs from containers, but
    I don't think native Windows containers do (at least not yet). You could also use a VM for development instead of a container, and I've heard of that (using Vagrant), but containers with Eclipse, STS4, or IntelliJ are smaller and
    faster to launch, so that makes them a better choice. But to be honest, I cannot find my references to someone claiming to do this; I just remember reading about it.

--
    Wayne

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joerg Meier@21:1/5 to Daniele Futtorovic on Tue Jan 4 10:51:50 2022
    On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:41:50 +0100, Daniele Futtorovic wrote:

But I've never seen the case where the development itself ("launch your
    IDE in a container") would take place in a container. Can people confirm
    that this is an established practice? Docker containers generally don't
    have display ports...

There are various IDE/dev solutions that are realized via a web interface (check out Eclipse Che, or the integrated GitLab web IDE), and those
    certainly can (and probably should) be run as a container. But I would
    agree that those are the exceptions, not the rule.

There is also the option of running something X-ish in a Docker container
    and then connecting to it via the remote X protocol, but I think only
    madness lies that way.

Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

--
    Ich lese meine Emails nicht, replies to Email bleiben also leider
    ungelesen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Jung@21:1/5 to Wayne on Thu Jan 6 20:16:28 2022
    Wayne <wayne@nospam.invalid> writes:
    [...]
    But I've never seen the case where the development itself ("launch
    your IDE in a container") would take place in a container. Can
    people confirm that this is an established practice? Docker
    containers generally don't have display ports...
    [...]
    The thing is, Linux containers *do* support running GUIs from containers, but I don't think native Windows containers do (at least not yet). You could also
    use a VM for development instead of a container, and I've heard of that (using
    Vagrant), but containers with Eclipse, STS4, or IntelliJ are smaller and faster to launch, so that makes them a better choice. But to be honest, I cannot find my references to someone claiming to do this; I just remember reading about it.

They are doing it at my current company. Those that I know of use
    vscode. The way I know is that I had the same question about whether
    the Xserver would allow connecting to the display from a potentially
    different userid in the container. It's probably the correct one from
    the outside. I don't know any details, it just works.

Michael

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Daniele Futtorovic on Mon Jan 10 16:58:46 2022
    On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:47:49 +0100, Daniele Futtorovic wrote:

How's the experience? Would you recommend it?

Equally important:

1) how much time does it take to rebuild/retest/roll out a new version of
    the container whenever a new version of any of it's components is
    released and how often does this happen?

2) how does the Container Maintainer like doing that job?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Daniele Futtorovic@21:1/5 to Michael Jung on Mon Jan 10 17:47:49 2022
    On 2022-01-06 20:16, Michael Jung wrote:
    Wayne <wayne@nospam.invalid> writes:
    [...]
    But I've never seen the case where the development itself ("launch
    your IDE in a container") would take place in a container. Can
    people confirm that this is an established practice? Docker
    containers generally don't have display ports...
    [...]
    The thing is, Linux containers *do* support running GUIs from containers, but
    I don't think native Windows containers do (at least not yet). You could also
    use a VM for development instead of a container, and I've heard of that (using
    Vagrant), but containers with Eclipse, STS4, or IntelliJ are smaller and
    faster to launch, so that makes them a better choice. But to be honest, I >> cannot find my references to someone claiming to do this; I just remember
    reading about it.

They are doing it at my current company. Those that I know of use
    vscode. The way I know is that I had the same question about whether
    the Xserver would allow connecting to the display from a potentially different userid in the container. It's probably the correct one from
    the outside. I don't know any details, it just works.

--
    DF.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Jung@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Sat Jan 15 22:59:28 2022
    Martin Gregorie <martin@mydomain.invalid> writes:
    On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 17:47:49 +0100, Daniele Futtorovic wrote:

Mixed experience. It depends on how you handle changes (see below).

1) how much time does it take to rebuild/retest/roll out a new version of
    the container whenever a new version of any of it's components is
    released and how often does this happen?

The CI systems are busy, that's clear. They have changed the setup and extracted the most variable parts into a separate container, so I think
    they have two running in tandem now. But to be more precise, they did
    the 1-container-dev-env about a year ago and I have lost track since. I
    only know that they also used this to "archive" their dev environment
    for some regulatory compliance reasons. At the height of this pattern
    they created a version every night and the needed storage space went
    through the roof. We only kept one internal release per week or so.
    The situation is more relaxed now.

2) how does the Container Maintainer like doing that job?

That was mainly automated. It's the build servers, network, and storage
    space that were aching.

They are (and were) not using Java at all and their environments look
    different than the ones that are common for Java, so their problems with
    this approach also may be different. (Still hoping that I didn't answer
    the original question in an off-topic way.)

Michael

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05