• Editing M2 on Visual Studio Code, anyone?

From trijezdci@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 12 04:12:55 2018
    Does anyone have a Modula-2/Oberon/Pascal syntax specification file for Visual Studio Code to do syntax highlighting?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Chris Burrows@21:1/5 to trijezdci on Tue Jun 12 05:29:19 2018
    On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 8:42:55 PM UTC+9:30, trijezdci wrote:
    Does anyone have a Modula-2/Oberon/Pascal syntax specification file for Visual Studio Code to do syntax highlighting?

My understanding is that VS Code uses TextMate-compatible syntax specification files. Google modula2.tmLanguage or oberon.tmLanguage for some example specification files.

There are also a number of ready-made Oberon / FreePascal / Delphi VS Code extensions available in the VS Code marketplace.

When evaluating them I recommend using a simple test that we used when looking for Oberon syntax-editing specifications to use in our CPIde and Astrobe editors. i.e. can it handle nested comments?

If you have a working example, open a large file and insert '(*', or maybe '{' (for Delphi / FreePascal) at some arbitrary point. If it can't handle that then there is not much point looking any further.

Regards,
    Chris Burrows
    CFB Software
    http://www.astrobe.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From trijezdci@21:1/5 to Chris Burrows on Tue Jun 19 06:52:41 2018
    On Tuesday, 12 June 2018 21:29:19 UTC+9, Chris Burrows wrote:

My understanding is that VS Code uses TextMate-compatible syntax specification files. Google modula2.tmLanguage or oberon.tmLanguage for some example specification files.

Thanks. According to the information I have, VS Code uses JSON files. Even so, I have a complete set of TM specs for PIM, ISO and R10

https://github.com/m2sf/modula2.tmbundle/tree/master/Syntaxes

but VS Code does not seem to recognise them.

Then again, my .vscode directory happens to be completely empty and I wonder where MSFT has hidden all the default language specs. As usual, the MSFT online documentation is written only for Windows. The .vscode directory is empty. I have done a global
    search, I can't find the files.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Burrows@21:1/5 to trijezdci on Tue Jun 19 14:56:50 2018
    On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 11:22:42 PM UTC+9:30, trijezdci wrote:

Then again, my .vscode directory happens to be completely empty and I wonder where MSFT has hidden all the default language specs. As usual, the MSFT online documentation is written only for Windows. The .vscode directory is empty. I have done a global
    search, I can't find the files.

On my system the extensions (and consequently the *.tmlanguage files) are stored in the following folder tree:

Program Files (x86)\
    Microsoft Visual Studio\
    2017\
    Community\
    Common7\
    IDE\
    Extensions\
    uhuqfcub.t3o\
    StarterKit\
    Extensions

Alternatively search for *.tmLanguage in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder tree,

Regards,
    Chris Burrows
    CFB Software
    http://www.cfbsoftware.com/modula2

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From trijezdci@21:1/5 to Chris Burrows on Thu Jun 21 00:01:11 2018
    On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 06:56:51 UTC+9, Chris Burrows wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 11:22:42 PM UTC+9:30, trijezdci wrote:

Then again, my .vscode directory happens to be completely empty and I wonder where MSFT has hidden all the default language specs. As usual, the MSFT online documentation is written only for Windows. The .vscode directory is empty. I have done a
    global search, I can't find the files.

On my system the extensions (and consequently the *.tmlanguage files) are stored in the following folder tree:

Program Files (x86)\

Thanks, but that looks like Windows to me. I don't use Windows and on my system the folder hierarchy looks nothing even remotely like it.

Like I said, I did a global search and there are no tmLanguage files anywhere (other than the Modula-2 ones I wrote myself which are in my development folder).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marco van de Voort@21:1/5 to trijezdci on Thu Jun 21 08:44:51 2018
    On 2018-06-21, trijezdci <trijezdci@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, but that looks like Windows to me. I don't use Windows and on my system the folder hierarchy looks nothing even remotely like it.

(moreover, it probably wasn't VS /code/, just proper native VS (community edition)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Burrows@21:1/5 to Marco van de Voort on Fri Jun 22 01:29:17 2018
    On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 6:14:52 PM UTC+9:30, Marco van de Voort wrote:
    On 2018-06-21, trijezdci <trijezdci@gmail.com> wrote:

(moreover, it probably wasn't VS /code/, just proper native VS (community edition)

Yes - that makes more sense. I had another look on my system and the VS Code extensions are stored in the <User folder>\.vscode\extensions folder. However, only the ones I have added are visible there. And, yes, they are javascript / json files.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From trijezdci@21:1/5 to Chris Burrows on Fri Jun 22 06:40:50 2018
    On Friday, 22 June 2018 17:29:17 UTC+9, Chris Burrows wrote:

Yes - that makes more sense. I had another look on my system and the VS Code extensions are stored in the <User folder>\.vscode\extensions folder. However, only the ones I have added are visible there. And, yes, they are javascript / json files.

Indeed, I have a ~/.vscode/extensions directory but like I said, its empty and I can't find any files anywhere for the languages that come with VS Code.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Burrows@21:1/5 to trijezdci on Fri Jun 22 16:15:01 2018
    On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 11:10:51 PM UTC+9:30, trijezdci wrote:

Indeed, I have a ~/.vscode/extensions directory but like I said, its empty and I can't find any files anywhere for the languages that come with VS Code.

On my Windows system they are located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\extensions folder subtree. I'm surprised that a system-wide search on your system didn't find any related .json files. Maybe a Linux / MacOS user here can throw
    some light on this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05