• ADW compiler errors

From Rob Solomon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 5 18:44:24 2020
    Hi. After a disk crash, I had to reinstall all of my software. After reinstalling the ADW M2 compiler, I cannot get it to link programs.
    This is on a win10 computer running lastest update, 20H2 IIRC.

The error I'm getting from the linker is:
    The following are undefined symbols
    WIN32_$InitCode
    WINUSER_$InitCode

Why are these now undefined? They're part of the code provided by
    ADW.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 6 05:48:10 2020
    Interesting. I've been fighting with an issue where I can only get old projects to compile and run properly with ADW at this time. New projects will not. My symptoms are different though as the code compiles and links, but at runtime just does not do
    what it should. I'm also on 20H2, but it was an upgrade from prior versions rather than fresh install.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled ADW with no changes. I've run the failing projects and the working projects in the debugger, copied/pasted simple code back and forth and it's definitely based on if it's a new project or one of my pre-existing ones.
    The code in the debugger actually looks the same. Tracing through it though, where it CALLs in the libraries the old compiled projects actually work and the new ones just come back with nothing having happened (no error code, just no work done).

Complicating my issue is that all this old projects were with a prior version of ADW... I had not started a new project in years, so I have a lot more variables to troubleshoot. :-/ I've been hoping to find someone that has a stash of old ADW versions
    so I could go back and see if there is a bug only impacting new projects with it. However, your post makes me think it's more likely a buggy Windows update.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rob Solomon@21:1/5 to briank@glmotorsports.net on Sun Dec 6 11:22:56 2020
    On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 05:48:10 -0800 (PST), Brian Knoblauch <briank@glmotorsports.net> wrote:

Interesting. I've been fighting with an issue where I can only get old projects to compile and run properly with ADW at this time. New projects will not. My symptoms are different though as the code compiles and links, but at runtime just does not do
    what it should. I'm also on 20H2, but it was an upgrade from prior versions rather than fresh install.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled ADW with no changes. I've run the failing projects and the working projects in the debugger, copied/pasted simple code back and forth and it's definitely based on if it's a new project or one of my pre-existing ones.
    The code in the debugger actually looks the same. Tracing through it though, where it CALLs in the libraries the old compiled projects actually work and the new ones just come back with nothing having happened (no error code, just no work done).

Complicating my issue is that all this old projects were with a prior version of ADW... I had not started a new project in years, so I have a lot more variables to troubleshoot. :-/ I've been hoping to find someone that has a stash of old ADW
    versions so I could go back and see if there is a bug only impacting new projects with it. However, your post makes me think it's more likely a buggy Windows update.

Reading your post gave me an idea. I'll create a virtual machine of
    an old windows iso file I have. I just looked, I have iso files of
    win2k, winxp, vista, win7 and earlier versions of win10.

I also checked, and I have earlier versions of ADW M2, going back to
    2016. I nuked my current ADW M2, and installed an earlier version.
    That didn't make any difference.

I wonder if there is a way to contact the developers of ADW and ask
    their advice?

--rob solomon

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to Rob Solomon on Sun Dec 6 12:02:10 2020
    On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 11:22:57 AM UTC-5, Rob Solomon wrote:
    I wonder if there is a way to contact the developers of ADW and ask
    their advice?

It says no support is given, but I did put a short entry on the feedback form just in case it was a known issue and perhaps an older version might be available I could use. Also, trijezdci said he would attempt to pass along the information I had given
    him (from a discussion a week or so ago) to ADW. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Would also love to hear the results of your version experiments. I'm on a rather tight data cap with my Internet connection, so how many things I can install/update/etc is pretty limited...

--Brian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rob Solomon@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 6 18:33:11 2020
    On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 12:02:10 -0800 (PST), Brian Knoblauch <briank@glmotorsports.net> wrote:

I created a VM of winxp, and was able to run the original Stony Brook
    M2 development system in that. It works.
    I created a VM of vista, and installed the latest ADW M2 from 2019.
    That works.

As long as I have something that works, I'm ok for now.

It does suggest that Windows is what changed and broke ADW M2.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to Rob Solomon on Tue Dec 8 04:20:37 2020
    On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 6:33:12 PM UTC-5, Rob Solomon wrote:
    That works.

Good info. I'm trying to get XDS working right now. Maybe I'll dig around here for my old Windows disks and circle back to ADW next month.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rob Solomon@21:1/5 to briank@glmotorsports.net on Tue Dec 8 20:26:55 2020
    On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 04:20:37 -0800 (PST), Brian Knoblauch <briank@glmotorsports.net> wrote:

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 6:33:12 PM UTC-5, Rob Solomon wrote:
    That works.

Good info. I'm trying to get XDS working right now. Maybe I'll dig around here for my old Windows disks and circle back to ADW next month.

I have now created VM using my Win7 64 bit iso, and Win10 1809 iso.
    ADW M2 does not work on these; giving the error regarding needing to
    compile WIN32 and WINUSER

But Vista works. I'm now lead to believe that when upgrading from
    vista -> win7 -> win10 until 20.04, whatever allowed ADW to work under
    vista was carried thru to the later windows versions, until 20.04
    broke it.
    Inistalling fresh Win7 or Win10 firom their respective iso files
    results in a system that will not run ADW.

"Fascinating"

--rob solomon

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to Rob Solomon on Wed Dec 9 16:36:24 2020
    On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, Rob Solomon wrote:
    vista -> win7 -> win10 until 20.04, whatever allowed ADW to work under
    vista was carried thru to the later windows versions, until 20.04
    broke it.

Good info, thanks for doing all that work! I really love the ADW environment, I hope we get an updated version that can workaround whatever broke.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Dillon@21:1/5 to bri...@glmotorsports.net on Tue Apr 27 08:50:54 2021
    On Thursday, 10 December 2020 at 00:36:25 UTC, bri...@glmotorsports.net wrote:
    On Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 8:26:56 PM UTC-5, Rob Solomon wrote:
    vista -> win7 -> win10 until 20.04, whatever allowed ADW to work under vista was carried thru to the later windows versions, until 20.04
    broke it.
    Good info, thanks for doing all that work! I really love the ADW environment, I hope we get an updated version that can workaround whatever broke.

Hi everyone,

I started messing about with this ADW compiler, having last used Modula2 a "very" long time ago ....!
    I saw that there was a recent build of this so I downloaded it and tried to compile the samples given on on the website. They all worked on Win10 so - fantastic!
    Except when I tried to create my own "New Project" for a simple hello world program - it would compile fine and give no errors but just not run.

I concluded it had to be something to do with the project(file) itself and then after much trawling the net I came across this helpful page:
    https://twu.seanho.com/05fall/cmpt14x/stonybrook/
    Check the unchecked checkbox in win32 tab on Linker options.

One less headache. Hope it helps someone.

JD.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to John Dillon on Tue Apr 27 14:09:55 2021
    On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 11:50:55 AM UTC-4, John Dillon wrote:
    Except when I tried to create my own "New Project" for a simple hello world program - it would compile fine and give no errors but just not run.

I concluded it had to be something to do with the project(file) itself and then after much trawling the net I came across this helpful page:

BIG help! After reading your post I started a new AMD64 program project, went into the Win32 Linker options and checked the console checkbox, and it solved my issue! So, despite the fact that I'm building 64 bit, the 32-bit linker tab needs to be
    checked for appropriate settings. Don't know how I never thought to check that, but it's great to be able to use ADW again. Nothing against XDS (32-bit only) which I've been using in the meantime, but since I'm on a 64-bit OS, I'd rather compile 64-bit!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rob@21:1/5 to briank@glmotorsports.net on Wed Apr 28 19:19:54 2021
    On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 14:09:55 -0700 (PDT), Brian Knoblauch <briank@glmotorsports.net> wrote:

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 11:50:55 AM UTC-4, John Dillon wrote:

BIG help! After reading your post I started a new AMD64 program project, went into the Win32 Linker options and checked the console checkbox, and it solved my issue! So, despite the fact that I'm building 64 bit, the 32-bit linker tab needs to be
    checked for appropriate settings. Don't know how I never thought to check that, but it's great to be able to use ADW again. Nothing against XDS (32-bit only) which I've been using in the meantime, but since I'm on a 64-bit OS, I'd rather compile 64-bit!

Not for me. My code uses the TextWindows module. It compiles but
    still fails to link, saying I have undefined symbols from WINUSER and
    WIN32, both are part of the Windows interface

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to rob on Fri May 28 11:54:25 2021
    On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 7:19:38 PM UTC-4, rob wrote:
    Not for me. My code uses the TextWindows module. It compiles but
    still fails to link, saying I have undefined symbols from WINUSER and

I see that the latest ADW update was posted to modula2.org just a few days ago. Have you had a chance to grab it and give it a try yet?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Solomon@21:1/5 to bri...@glmotorsports.net on Sat May 29 06:29:26 2021
    On Friday, May 28, 2021 at 2:54:25 PM UTC-4, bri...@glmotorsports.net wrote:
    Not for me. My code uses the TextWindows module. It compiles but still fails to link, saying I have undefined symbols from WINUSER and
    I see that the latest ADW update was posted to modula2.org just a few days ago. Have you had a chance to grab it and give it a try yet?

I did, and it does not work, either. I do not see a version that is later than Mar 8, 2021. I tried that before I posted in April.

Still no-go

--rob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Burrows@21:1/5 to drro...@gmail.com on Sat May 29 17:17:00 2021
    On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:59:27 PM UTC+9:30, drro...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not for me. My code uses the TextWindows module. It compiles but still fails to link, saying I have undefined symbols from WINUSER and
    I did, and it does not work, either. I do not see a version that is later than Mar 8, 2021. I tried that before I posted in April.

Still no-go

--rob

Have you tried checking the 'Allow undefined symbols' in Linker Options > Main?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Solomon@21:1/5 to Chris Burrows on Sun May 30 09:21:16 2021
    On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 8:17:00 PM UTC-4, Chris Burrows wrote:
    On Saturday, May 29, 2021 at 10:59:27 PM UTC+9:30, drro...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not for me. My code uses the TextWindows module. It compiles but still fails to link, saying I have undefined symbols from WINUSER and WIN32, both are part of the Windows interface
    Still no-go

still no-go. Now an .exe is created, but does nothing when I try to run it.

I noticed that the behavior of the M2 environment is different. Back in the day, I would install it, and upon first opening it would compile it's run time library. Stonybrook's would do that (and still does) in my VM of WinXP. This is working for me.

It doesn't do that now under Win10. Every time I open the ADW environment (ASCII in my case), it remains on the sources of the runtime library, and it seems to be expecting me to do something.

Not knowing what to do, I click on the compile all button. That compiles all, AFAICT. I do that for each of the 4 choices, ie, rtl-win-amd64, rtl-win-ia32, rtldll-win-amd64 and rtldll-win-ia32.

I have no idea if that's what it expects me to do, or even if it is expecting me to do anything.

My code compiles, but fails to link. Either I get the undefined symbols from WINUSER and WIN32, or sometimes I get an error saying that i need to compile WINUSER.

It still does not work for me on Win10, now at 21H1

--rob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to drro...@gmail.com on Sun May 30 14:34:18 2021
    On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:21:17 PM UTC-4, drro...@gmail.com wrote:

Ah, that's the problem I was having originally. Did you also go check the Win32 Console checkbox for the linker? That was the resolution for me when I was getting the EXE that did nothing.

--Brian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Solomon@21:1/5 to bri...@glmotorsports.net on Mon May 31 09:26:43 2021
    On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 5:34:19 PM UTC-4, bri...@glmotorsports.net wrote:
    On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:21:17 PM UTC-4, drro...@gmail.com wrote:
    Ah, that's the problem I was having originally. Did you also go check the Win32 Console checkbox for the linker? That was the resolution for me when I was getting the EXE that did nothing.

--Brian

When I was writing console apps, I would need to check that box. Whenever I would get the behavior in a console app that seemed to do nothing, I would know I forgot to check that box.

This isn't a console app.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Knoblauch@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 25 04:04:41 2022
    Hey Rob, I see there's a new version of ADW out now (as of 1/22) at https://www.modula2.org/adwm2/. If you didn't get this issue resolved prior to that, have you tried this latest version?

--Brian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Solomon@21:1/5 to bri...@glmotorsports.net on Sat Jan 29 11:40:21 2022
    I just tried it. I'm still getting this error when I try to link:
    Imported modules need compilation:
    IMP WIN32
    IMP WINUSER

So, that would be "no"
    --rob

On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 7:04:42 AM UTC-5, bri...@glmotorsports.net wrote:
    Hey Rob, I see there's a new version of ADW out now (as of 1/22) at https://www.modula2.org/adwm2/. If you didn't get this issue resolved prior to that, have you tried this latest version?

--Brian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05