• JOVE Editor

From Benjamin Eby@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 6 16:50:19 2019
    I am using UCBLogo on Lubuntu Linux. When I edit a procedure, the program goes to a built-in editor rather than JOVE, which I have installed on my system, and have learned how to use. The built-in editor is OK, but I would rather use JOVE, especially
    for large programs with many procedures.

According to the UCBLogo documentation, the interpreter will use JOVE if I have the EDITOR environment variable set to jove. But Lubuntu doesn't show an EDITOR variable when I echo $EDITOR. When I checked, Lubuntu doesn't have a .bashrc file in the
    home folder. So next I did EDITOR=jove and export EDITOR, and ran logo again, but still no JOVE editor.

So next I did META-X:shell and ran Logo from the shell inside JOVE. That didn't work either. So, I'm not sure what to try next.

Benjamin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Benjamin Eby@21:1/5 to Benjamin Eby on Tue Aug 6 18:02:59 2019
    On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 7:50:20 AM UTC+8, Benjamin Eby wrote:
    I am using UCBLogo on Lubuntu Linux. When I edit a procedure, the program goes to a built-in editor rather than JOVE, which I have installed on my system, and have learned how to use. The built-in editor is OK, but I would rather use JOVE, especially

According to the UCBLogo documentation, the interpreter will use JOVE if I have the EDITOR environment variable set to jove. But Lubuntu doesn't show an EDITOR variable when I echo $EDITOR. When I checked, Lubuntu doesn't have a .bashrc file in the
    home folder. So next I did EDITOR=jove and export EDITOR, and ran logo again, but still no JOVE editor.

So next I did META-X:shell and ran Logo from the shell inside JOVE. That didn't work either. So, I'm not sure what to try next.

Benjamin

After reading the manual, I see there is a SETEDITOR variable in UCBLogo. I will try this tomorrow. I'm guessing I may need to set the variable in a configuration file somewhere if I want the variable to be created every time I start the program. I'll
    do that tomorrow. Going to bed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Benjamin Eby@21:1/5 to Benjamin Eby on Tue Aug 6 18:33:20 2019

Benjamin

OK, I tried SETDEITOR "usr/bin/jove after doing a whereis jove in bash. No change. I'm beginning to think that the editor has been hard-codded into place. If I don't get any replies, I guess my next step is to get the source code.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Gunshannon@21:1/5 to Benjamin Eby on Wed Aug 7 07:53:23 2019
    On 8/6/19 9:33 PM, Benjamin Eby wrote:
    I am using UCBLogo on Lubuntu Linux. When I edit a procedure, the program goes to a built-in editor rather than JOVE, which I have installed on my system, and have learned how to use. The built-in editor is OK, but I would rather use JOVE,
    especially for large programs with many procedures.

Benjamin

OK, I tried SETDEITOR "usr/bin/jove after doing a whereis jove in bash. No change. I'm beginning to think that the editor has been hard-codded into place. If I don't get any replies, I guess my next step is to get the source code.

echo $EDITOR will show nothing until you actually put a value in EDITOR.
    These variables don't exist until the first time they are defined. It's
    up to you to define EDITOR to point at the EDITOR you want to use and
    how depends on what shell you are using.

bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Benjamin Eby@21:1/5 to Bill Gunshannon on Wed Aug 7 09:39:01 2019
    On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 7:53:25 PM UTC+8, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    On 8/6/19 9:33 PM, Benjamin Eby wrote:
    I am using UCBLogo on Lubuntu Linux. When I edit a procedure, the program goes to a built-in editor rather than JOVE, which I have installed on my system, and have learned how to use. The built-in editor is OK, but I would rather use JOVE,
    especially for large programs with many procedures.

According to the UCBLogo documentation, the interpreter will use JOVE if I have the EDITOR environment variable set to jove. But Lubuntu doesn't show an EDITOR variable when I echo $EDITOR. When I checked, Lubuntu doesn't have a .bashrc file in
    the home folder. So next I did EDITOR=jove and export EDITOR, and ran logo again, but still no JOVE editor.

Benjamin

echo $EDITOR will show nothing until you actually put a value in EDITOR. These variables don't exist until the first time they are defined. It's
    up to you to define EDITOR to point at the EDITOR you want to use and
    how depends on what shell you are using.

bill

I did. Quoting myself: "So next I did EDITOR=jove and export EDITOR"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05