• Lexically Scoped Logo?

From kenjohnson195105@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Tim Even on Fri Dec 29 05:20:57 2017
    On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 7:39:15 PM UTC+1, Tim Even wrote:
    Folks,

I understand that Logo is dynamically scoped, but see this as, well, ugly. Are there any lexically scoped Logos?

Thanks,

Tim

Nimbus Logo and Terak Logo were both lexically scoped. The system looked for the named variable in the current procedure, then in the procedure that invoked the current procedure etc., and finally it looked for a global variable of the same name. Using
    NEW <word> you could create more than one local variable with the same name in the same procedure e.g. REPEAT 5 [NEW 'X] but that was a bit pointless because all but the most recent instance were inaccessible and null.

I have no idea whether anyone still has Nimbus Logo or Terak Logo any more. They were extant in 1984. If anyone still has a working copy of either, please tell me: I'd be most interested.

Ken Johnson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From saedwards.ecc@gmail.com@21:1/5 to kenjohns...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 30 03:43:10 2017
    On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 8:20:58 AM UTC-5, kenjohns...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 19, 2014 at 7:39:15 PM UTC+1, Tim Even wrote:
    Folks,

I understand that Logo is dynamically scoped, but see this as, well, ugly. Are there any lexically scoped Logos?

Thanks,

Tim

Nimbus Logo and Terak Logo were both lexically scoped. The system looked for the named variable in the current procedure, then in the procedure that invoked the current procedure etc., and finally it looked for a global variable of the same name. Using
    NEW <word> you could create more than one local variable with the same name in the same procedure e.g. REPEAT 5 [NEW 'X] but that was a bit pointless because all but the most recent instance were inaccessible and null.

I have no idea whether anyone still has Nimbus Logo or Terak Logo any more. They were extant in 1984. If anyone still has a working copy of either, please tell me: I'd be most interested.

Ken Johnson

I'd be extremely interested as well. I wonder if Jason Scott (of Archive & TextFiles) has anything? I can reach out and find out...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)