• Hiring/educating PL/I Devs

From johann woeckinger@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 21 01:23:19 2021
    Hi folks,

I'm aware that this is a more technical newsgroup, but i know that there are pretty experienced ppl. involved and i hope for some wisdom:

We might want to hire some devs for PL/I as several "core" ppl. will retire in near future. As PL/I is not teached / used widely anymore we'll have to educate ppl ourselves (we're used to that).
    My personal experience tells me, that ppl. that have only done java / javascript / c# / oop-only .. often fail on getting into PL/I, but ppl. who come from e.g. C (which is also pretty rare these days) do much smoother. So i consider putting "some
    experience in C" on the offer.
    What are your experiences? How would you "attract" the right ppl.? What should we look for?

Many thanks in advance,
    br johann

PS: we're in early planning and i assume it will be a mainly local, austrian hiring campaing, so i won't be able to take applications yet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Robert Prins@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 21 13:34:40 2021
    On 2021-01-21 09:23, johann woeckinger wrote:> I'm aware that this is a more technical newsgroup, but i know that there are
    pretty experienced ppl. involved and i hope for some wisdom:

We might want to hire some devs for PL/I as several "core" ppl. will retire in near future. As PL/I is not teached / used widely anymore we'll have to educate ppl ourselves (we're used to that). My personal experience tells me, that ppl. that have only done java / javascript / c# / oop-only .. often fail on getting into PL/I, but ppl. who come from e.g. C (which is also pretty rare these days) do much smoother. So i consider putting "some experience in C" on the offer. What are your experiences? How would you "attract" the right ppl.? What should we look for?

REXX?

Pascal/Delphi?

Offer remote working, I just had a call for a possible job in Liege, 3+ hour by train from Oostende (and even more by car). Remote? Now probably yes, but once Covid-19 is gone, "maybe one or two days per week".

Compare this to my first stint in Dublin (while living in the UK), in 2001. They
    had someone working from down-under. Used to work in Dublin, went back, and they
    said "let's give it a try". Turned out to ve very useful to (also) keep an eye on the overnight batch!

Robert
    --
    Robert AH Prins
    robert(a)prino(d)org
    The hitchhiking grandfather - https://prino.neocities.org/indez.html
    Some REXX code for use on z/OS - https://prino.neocities.org/zOS/zOS-Tools.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robin Vowels@21:1/5 to woe......@gmail.com on Thu Jan 21 04:28:46 2021
    On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 8:23:20 PM UTC+11, woe......@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi folks,

I'm aware that this is a more technical newsgroup, but i know that there are pretty experienced ppl. involved and i hope for some wisdom:

We might want to hire some devs for PL/I as several "core" ppl. will retire in near future. As PL/I is not teached / used widely anymore we'll have to educate ppl ourselves (we're used to that).
    My personal experience tells me, that ppl. that have only done java / javascript / c# / oop-only .. often fail on getting into PL/I, but ppl. who come from e.g. C (which is also pretty rare these days) do much smoother. So i consider putting "some
    experience in C" on the offer.
    What are your experiences? How would you "attract" the right ppl.? What should we look for?

Many thanks in advance,
    br johann

PS: we're in early planning and i assume it will be a mainly local, austrian hiring campaing, so i won't be able to take applications yet.
    Programmers should be able to self-learn PL/I.
    There are many many good books on PL/I (including "The New PL/I" and "Introduction to PL/I, Algorithms, and Structured Programming".)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Flass@21:1/5 to johann woeckinger on Fri Jan 22 17:33:16 2021
    johann woeckinger <woecki@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hi folks,

I'm aware that this is a more technical newsgroup, but i know that there
    are pretty experienced ppl. involved and i hope for some wisdom:

We might want to hire some devs for PL/I as several "core" ppl. will
    retire in near future. As PL/I is not teached / used widely anymore we'll have to educate ppl ourselves (we're used to that).
    My personal experience tells me, that ppl. that have only done java / javascript / c# / oop-only .. often fail on getting into PL/I, but ppl.
    who come from e.g. C (which is also pretty rare these days) do much
    smoother. So i consider putting "some experience in C" on the offer.

Many thanks in advance,
    br johann

PS: we're in early planning and i assume it will be a mainly local,
    austrian hiring campaing, so i won't be able to take applications yet.

C or Pascal programmers should be able to learn PL/I pretty quickly, as
    already mentioned. I can look around, I may have a copy a PL/I
    self-education course (unless I’m thinking of something else, the mind wanders...) Possibly you can connect with someone who has taught PL/I. You might ask around on Linkedin or the IBM developer board - If interested I
    can send you the link.

Depending on what you’re doing I might be interested in some remote work until your people get online (very remote)

Congratulations on your excellent choice of language!

You also might want to ask on the PL/I LISTSERV (I’ll post the correct list name later).

--
    Pete

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From johann woeckinger@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 5 02:52:38 2021
    Programmers should be able to self-learn PL/I.
    very well said, robin!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Markus Loew@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 15 14:00:54 2021
    Hello Johann,
    Is'nt there a way to get a PL/I programming job as a remote worker?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From johann woeckinger@21:1/5 to memos....@gmail.com on Wed Aug 18 23:35:41 2021
    On Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 11:00:55 PM UTC+2, memos....@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello Johann,
    Is'nt there a way to get a PL/I programming job as a remote worker?
    Hi,
    sorry to say, but currently not.
    If there is new opportunity / policy change i'll let you know, but currently no way,
    br johann

ps @all: i really didn't want to generate any kind of false hope, that's why i included the ps-disclaimer in my original post. sorry anyway.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05