• IDL not recognizing procedure in expanded path

From nelson.kevin09@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 20 10:46:24 2017
    Hello,

I have a problem on my hands I haven't been able to find a solution for. Here are the basics:

I'm creating a centralized library for my research group of IDL procedures and routines that we can call to avoid re-inventing the wheel and not have to include the @procedure_path statements at the beginning of out programs.

I was able to get IDL to recognize the path to all of the routines in the centralized library by following David Fanning's page (http://www.idlcoyote.com/code_tips/installcoyote.php). When I use IDL's PrintPath function, it returns the correct path to
    the directory:

PrintPath
    /cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/gps_io

The full file path is then: /cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/gps_io/get_ncdf_atmPrf_ucar_cosmic2013.pro

I have a program I wrote just to test why these particular routines won't automatically compile and run inside the main program as well by giving it a file path and then calling the routine, which amounts to:

file_name = foo (this is super long with the whole path) get_ncdf_atmPrf_ucar_cosmic2013, foo, ...
    END

The result I get when I run this is:

.run test.pro
    % Compiled module: $MAIN$.
    % Attempt to call undefined procedure: 'GET_NCDF_ATMPRF_UCAR_COSMIC2013'.
    % Execution halted at: $MAIN$ 4 /home/knelson12/test.pro

However, I can run the following, and it recognizes the routine just fine:

.compile get_ncdf_atmPrf_ucar_cosmic2013
    % Compiled module: GET_NCDF_ATMPRF_UCAR_COSMIC2013.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance.

- Kevin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From benjamin.castellani@gmail.com@21:1/5 to nelson....@gmail.com on Wed Oct 25 07:12:55 2017
    On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 11:46:25 AM UTC-6, nelson....@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello,

I have a problem on my hands I haven't been able to find a solution for. Here are the basics:

I'm creating a centralized library for my research group of IDL procedures and routines that we can call to avoid re-inventing the wheel and not have to include the @procedure_path statements at the beginning of out programs.

I was able to get IDL to recognize the path to all of the routines in the centralized library by following David Fanning's page (http://www.idlcoyote.com/code_tips/installcoyote.php). When I use IDL's PrintPath function, it returns the correct path to
    the directory:

PrintPath

The full file path is then: /cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/gps_io/get_ncdf_atmPrf_ucar_cosmic2013.pro

I have a program I wrote just to test why these particular routines won't automatically compile and run inside the main program as well by giving it a file path and then calling the routine, which amounts to:

file_name = foo (this is super long with the whole path) get_ncdf_atmPrf_ucar_cosmic2013, foo, ...
    END

.run test.pro

- Kevin

Hi Kevin,

First, the PrintPath.pro procedure is not a first-party program that comes with IDL, so I can't comment on that.

The error you are getting still suggests the path is not being recognized. Try using "!PATH" at the IDL command line or console. Does this show the directory containing GET_NCDF_ATMPRF_UCAR_COSMIC2013.pro ?

This is the correct way to modify IDL Paths:
    !PATH = EXPAND_PATH('<IDL_DEFAULT>:+/home/joeuser/myidllib')

NOTE: Use the "+" sign to include all subdirectories.

Here is more information: http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/SelfHelpTools/HelpArticles/HelpArticles-Detail/TabId/2718/ArtMID/10220/ArticleID/16156/Quick-tips-for-customizing-your-IDL-program-search-path.aspx

Hope this helps.

Ben C
    IDL Team
    Harris Geospatial Solutions
    Boulder, Colorado

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nelson.kevin09@gmail.com@21:1/5 to benjamin....@gmail.com on Tue Oct 31 10:28:29 2017
    On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 9:12:55 AM UTC-5, benjamin....@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello,

I was able to get IDL to recognize the path to all of the routines in the centralized library by following David Fanning's page (http://www.idlcoyote.com/code_tips/installcoyote.php). When I use IDL's PrintPath function, it returns the correct path
    to the directory:

PrintPath

END

.run test.pro

- Kevin

Hi Kevin,

First, the PrintPath.pro procedure is not a first-party program that comes with IDL, so I can't comment on that.

The error you are getting still suggests the path is not being recognized. Try using "!PATH" at the IDL command line or console. Does this show the directory containing GET_NCDF_ATMPRF_UCAR_COSMIC2013.pro ?

Here is more information: http://www.harrisgeospatial.com/Support/SelfHelpTools/HelpArticles/HelpArticles-Detail/TabId/2718/ArtMID/10220/ArticleID/16156/Quick-tips-for-customizing-your-IDL-program-search-path.aspx

Hope this helps.

Ben C
    IDL Team
    Boulder, Colorado

Hi Ben,

Thank you for replying to the group. It's good to know that Harris is helping out since they took over.

In regard to the first point, I didn't realize that PrintPath wasn't native. I looked it up and it's part of the Coyote Library.

When I use '!PATH', the path to the routines in question is given: ":/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/gps_io:" with the other directories I've added (that work fine from what I can tell) and there are no subdirectories in this location. All of the files in
    this directory (and the working ones) are -rw-r--r-- (644) permissions.

My current setup is a command in my .tcshrc file as follows:
    setenv IDL_STARTUP /cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/xielab_idl_startup.pro

This startup file is copied here, since I can't attach it. It follows the directions provided by David Fanning (http://www.idlcoyote.com/code_tips/installcoyote.php#UNIX_INSTALL):
    !PATH = EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/coyote/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/catalyst/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/ncdf_hdf/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/atmos_phys/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/idl_xie/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/motley/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/plt/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/math/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/helpful_routines/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/jhop_phys/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/collocation/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/geophysics/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/graphtools/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/gridding/nbyn_grid/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/gridding/' + $
    'equal_area_grid_ISCCP/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/idlusr/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/integration/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/interpolation/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/pblh_clim/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/satimg/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/scripts/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/terrain/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/time_conversion/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/utilities/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/hurricanes_hbl/') + ':' + $
    !PATH

In the meantime, I will add the IDL_DEFAULT portion and see if that changes anything.

Thank you for your help.

- Kevin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nelson.kevin09@gmail.com@21:1/5 to nelson....@gmail.com on Tue Oct 31 11:23:15 2017
    On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 12:28:30 PM UTC-5, nelson....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 9:12:55 AM UTC-5, benjamin....@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello,

I was able to get IDL to recognize the path to all of the routines in the centralized library by following David Fanning's page (http://www.idlcoyote.com/code_tips/installcoyote.php). When I use IDL's PrintPath function, it returns the correct path
    to the directory:

PrintPath

END

.run test.pro
    % Attempt to call undefined procedure: 'GET_NCDF_ATMPRF_UCAR_COSMIC2013'. % Execution halted at: $MAIN$ 4 /home/knelson12/test.pro

- Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Hope this helps.

Ben C
    IDL Team
    Boulder, Colorado

Hi Ben,

Thank you for replying to the group. It's good to know that Harris is helping out since they took over.

In regard to the first point, I didn't realize that PrintPath wasn't native. I looked it up and it's part of the Coyote Library.

When I use '!PATH', the path to the routines in question is given: ":/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/gps_io:" with the other directories I've added (that work fine from what I can tell) and there are no subdirectories in this location. All of the files
    in this directory (and the working ones) are -rw-r--r-- (644) permissions.

My current setup is a command in my .tcshrc file as follows:
    setenv IDL_STARTUP /cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/xielab_idl_startup.pro

This startup file is copied here, since I can't attach it. It follows the directions provided by David Fanning (http://www.idlcoyote.com/code_tips/installcoyote.php#UNIX_INSTALL):
    !PATH = EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/coyote/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/catalyst/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/ncdf_hdf/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/atmos_phys/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/idl_xie/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/motley/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/plt/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/math/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/helpful_routines/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/jhop_phys/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/collocation/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/geophysics/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/graphtools/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/gridding/nbyn_grid/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/gridding/' + $
    'equal_area_grid_ISCCP/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/idlusr/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/integration/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/interpolation/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/io_lib/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/pblh_clim/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/satimg/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/scripts/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/terrain/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/time_conversion/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/utilities/') + ':' + $
    EXPAND_PATH('+/cloud/code_ro/lib/idl/hurricanes_hbl/') + ':' + $
    !PATH

In the meantime, I will add the IDL_DEFAULT portion and see if that changes anything.

Thank you for your help.

- Kevin

I tested adding the <IDL_DEFAULT>: to the EXPAND_PATH commands as well, and it did not change the result.

- Kevin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05