• vhdl help project

From Babyla@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 25 07:56:54 2020
    I'm a beginner in vhdl and I'm developing a parking management system.
    At the moment I have made a "basic" version that seems to work properly. This includes a counter to manage the entry and exit of cars and provided the number of available parking spaces.
    Now I would like to take another step forward! I would like to implement a control unit to manage the parking payment, but maybe it is too complicated for a beginner, what do you think?
    I would like that when a car enters, the time is memorized and when it leaves, the user must enter the parking number and the difference in time and cost will be calculated. Being at first experiences I have difficulty in modeling this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Kellett@21:1/5 to Babyla on Sat Sep 26 07:15:29 2020
    On 25/09/2020 15:56, Babyla wrote:
    At the moment I have made a "basic" version that seems to work properly. This includes a counter to manage the entry and exit of cars and provided the number of available parking spaces.
    Now I would like to take another step forward! I would like to implement a control unit to manage the parking payment, but maybe it is too complicated for a beginner, what do you think?
    I would like that when a car enters, the time is memorized and when it leaves, the user must enter the parking number and the difference in time and cost will be calculated. Being at first experiences I have difficulty in modeling this.

This seems to be a very strange project for VHDL (and I assume an FPGA).
    You will need a clock and to have the ability to store times and
    manipulate them and then use time differences to access a look up table
    of charges. None of this is very difficult in VHDL or on FPGA but it is
    much, much cheaper and easier to develop on a micro controller in C or C++.
    If it's just for learning then fair enough.
    I would start by defining the task in natural langauge.
    Then break it into small steps, maybe a flow chart and/or state diagram
    if you like them.
    Then a set of requirements if you are a pedantic type.
    And so on, just like any other project.

There are lots of books and plenty of web stuff about
    describing/modelling problems.

MK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick C@21:1/5 to Michael Kellett on Fri Sep 25 23:27:52 2020
    On Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 2:15:28 AM UTC-4, Michael Kellett wrote:
    On 25/09/2020 15:56, Babyla wrote:

This seems to be a very strange project for VHDL (and I assume an FPGA).
    You will need a clock and to have the ability to store times and
    manipulate them and then use time differences to access a look up table
    of charges. None of this is very difficult in VHDL or on FPGA but it is
    much, much cheaper and easier to develop on a micro controller in C or C++. If it's just for learning then fair enough.
    I would start by defining the task in natural langauge.
    Then break it into small steps, maybe a flow chart and/or state diagram
    if you like them.
    Then a set of requirements if you are a pedantic type.
    And so on, just like any other project.

There are lots of books and plenty of web stuff about
    describing/modelling problems.

MK

If you are the pedantic type you can develop a set of requirements after you have designed the circuits. If you are the effective type you will develop the requirements first. It saves time in the long run.

Requirements writing is a skill like any other. Do a good job and you will be effective. Ignore that part of your work and the entire project will suffer.

But if you are designing a hobby project, requirements are virtually never done. So we don't learn how to do them well and feel they are not useful. That's simply a sign that they are not understood.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05