• Want to build a program to sync a local directory structure with a web

From Jack T@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 11 15:38:17 2019
    I want to be able to sync newer of a local directory structure with a web site using FTP and SFTP in either direction and and preserve file dates and times and an approval list before transferring. (I'm using 6.3) Is there already example code out
    there for doing that? If not, is there Windows API way of doing that or something similar?

Something that automatically replicates from one place to another, and or an unmodifiable list of what will be transferred is total garbage for a web developer. They need to be able to skip some folders on the remote from being replicated. It is
    incredibly common when working on a commercial site to have 20,000 temporary files scattered across several directories that are constantly changing, and sites that are not possible to run in other than the production environment because they are buy
    data from different sources and licensed by the server's IP address. Thus, for some customers, the development occurs on the live site and the local files are there as a backup to reverse the changes if necessary, or update the local if you wish to keep
    the changes. The only intelligent replicator I know of is Dreamweaver and I don't want to use that anymore, and the ignore paths in Netbeans are broken.

Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sean H@21:1/5 to Jack T on Mon Jul 15 23:00:55 2019
    On 12/7/19 8:38 am, Jack T wrote:
    I want to be able to sync newer of a local directory structure with a web site using FTP and SFTP in either direction and and preserve file dates and times and an approval list before transferring. (I'm using 6.3) Is there already example code out
    there for doing that? If not, is there Windows API way of doing that or something similar?

Something that automatically replicates from one place to another, and or an unmodifiable list of what will be transferred is total garbage for a web developer. They need to be able to skip some folders on the remote from being replicated. It is
    incredibly common when working on a commercial site to have 20,000 temporary files scattered across several directories that are constantly changing, and sites that are not possible to run in other than the production environment because they are buy
    data from different sources and licensed by the server's IP address. Thus, for some customers, the development occurs on the live site and the local files are there as a backup to reverse the changes if necessary, or update the local if you wish to keep
    the changes. The only intelligent replicator I know of is Dreamweaver and I don't want to use that anymore, and the ignore paths in Netbeans are broken.

Thanks!

If you're using Linux then rsync fits the bill. Not sure on windows.

Sean H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jack T@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 15 15:03:26 2019
    If you're using Linux then rsync fits the bill. Not sure on windows.<
    I use Windows for web and rsync only on UNIX servers. There is rsync for Windows and many other such programs for Windows but I don't see anything that would work for web development.

The problem with maintaining commercial sites is you have files that are cache and temporary files that have no value. With most IDEs, the only place you can mark what to skip is on the local drive. That does you no good when you have 20,000 cache and
    temporary files being built on the server, and a massive list to turn off before synching. Moreover, depending on the site, it is not unusual for the development to occur in the live area because they are buying licensed data by IP number and crypto key.
    Sometimes you are taking down your new work, and sometimes are looking for everything you changed to reverse it. You need an audit list that you can look through and reverse or disable things if necessary, but not a list with 20,000 junk files you
    need to filter through and turn off just to replicate the 50 you do want and don't remember where all they were. his is way past script capabilities.

Dreamweaver has been able to do that for decades and even identify conflicts when multiple developers are working on the same site. It's the only thing Dreamweaver is useful to us for and I don't want to buy more copies or pay rent for just that. I'd
    rather not reinvent the wheel to replace that capability if I don't have to. I will write it in Clarion to work like DreamWeaver if necessary. What I would need for that is a libssh.dll and a wrapper. I don't see evidence of anyone having done that
    either. libcurl is missing too much functionality and if I have to write, I'd be better off doing it for libssh than libssh2.

Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sean H@21:1/5 to Jack T on Tue Jul 16 09:27:38 2019
    Hi Jack

Maybe ask the guys at nettalkcentral.com lots more web people there :)
    Or maybe Clarionhub,com

Sean H

On 16/7/19 8:03 am, Jack T wrote:
    If you're using Linux then rsync fits the bill. Not sure on windows.<
    I use Windows for web and rsync only on UNIX servers. There is rsync for Windows and many other such programs for Windows but I don't see anything that would work for web development.

The problem with maintaining commercial sites is you have files that are cache and temporary files that have no value. With most IDEs, the only place you can mark what to skip is on the local drive. That does you no good when you have 20,000 cache
    and temporary files being built on the server, and a massive list to turn off before synching. Moreover, depending on the site, it is not unusual for the development to occur in the live area because they are buying licensed data by IP number and crypto
    key. Sometimes you are taking down your new work, and sometimes are looking for everything you changed to reverse it. You need an audit list that you can look through and reverse or disable things if necessary, but not a list with 20,000 junk files you
    need to filter through and turn off just to replicate the 50 you do want and don't remember where all they were. his is way past script capabilities.

Dreamweaver has been able to do that for decades and even identify conflicts when multiple developers are working on the same site. It's the only thing Dreamweaver is useful to us for and I don't want to buy more copies or pay rent for just that. I'd
    rather not reinvent the wheel to replace that capability if I don't have to. I will write it in Clarion to work like DreamWeaver if necessary. What I would need for that is a libssh.dll and a wrapper. I don't see evidence of anyone having done that
    either. libcurl is missing too much functionality and if I have to write, I'd be better off doing it for libssh than libssh2.

Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05