• Occasional "Common control call failed" error setting model of DateTime

From daniels220@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 1 11:09:18 2020
    I have a large body of acceptance tests that rapidly create and destroy shells, and every once in a long while (like one time in 1000), they get an error when initially opening a shell and trying to connect the model to a DateTimePicker. The error doesn'
    t give any details, and I don't know enough about Win32, never mind the Common Controls, to have any idea if there are details available somewhere. The stacktrace looks something like:

DateTimePicker(ControlView)>>errorInCommonControlCall DateTimePicker>>dtmSetSystemTime:lpSysTime:
    DateTimePicker(View)>>onModelChanged
    DateTimePicker(View)>>model:
    DatePresenter(Presenter)>>connectView
    DatePresenter(Presenter)>>view:
    MyShell(Presenter)>>attachSubPresenterViews:
    MyShell(Presenter)>>createView:

Any ideas (a) what the problem is and how to actually fix it, or failing that (b) how to get more info about the error, or failing that (c) any possible workaround (i.e. what would I have to do to retry with as little disruption as possible—is
    literally just retrying likely to work? Destroy/recreate the DateTimePicker first? Destroy/recreate the whole shell?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From picoVerse@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 9 20:45:51 2020
    maybe if you included a little Delay ? right before the Error ? or something maybe things are happening too fast at an inhuman rate and therefore unexpectedly ? some how the code is expecting to have a human response time amount of time left to get it's
    thing done but in this case it does not . maybe . just a wild shot in the dark

what i am trying to do is have an isTesting mode that cuts the GUI out of the picture and just returns to the rest of it whatever the GUI would have returned assuming the GUI is correct . but it seems a bit extra . so far . is this what they call a mock ?
    i don't know . so the GUI never actually opens on screen is the idea . you never send the >>show.. Message or something

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From daniels220@gmail.com@21:1/5 to picoVerse on Tue Nov 10 09:23:21 2020
    Actually, I figured it out—it was a rounding error resulting in an invalid SYSTEMTIME struct about 1/2000th of the time—now fixed. See https://github.com/dolphinsmalltalk/Dolphin/issues/1045.

On Monday, November 9, 2020 at 11:45:52 PM UTC-5, picoVerse wrote:
    maybe if you included a little Delay ? right before the Error ? or something maybe things are happening too fast at an inhuman rate and therefore unexpectedly ? some how the code is expecting to have a human response time amount of time left to get it'
    s thing done but in this case it does not . maybe . just a wild shot in the dark

what i am trying to do is have an isTesting mode that cuts the GUI out of the picture and just returns to the rest of it whatever the GUI would have returned assuming the GUI is correct . but it seems a bit extra . so far . is this what they call a
    mock ? i don't know . so the GUI never actually opens on screen is the idea . you never send the >>show.. Message or something

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05