• Dolphin, draw me a picture!

From F Bek@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 25 15:47:14 2021
    Beginner's question,
    Dolphin Smalltalk 7.1.19

What is an app if it cannot display a picture worth a thousand words? But it doesn't seem to be an easy task in Dolphin.

While I'm still trying to figure out solutions to the other issues already raised, and then some more, the next step for my MVP would be to draw some basic geometrical figures, starting with a simple rectangle, then other Tee, Trapezoid, etc. Ideally,
    there should be a layer for the main figure, a layer for the dimensions and other text, and a layer for grids and axes. But I'll settle for just a rectangle as a start.

Is there any graphics plugin that would make life a bit easier? If not, where do I start with Canvas and Inkstrokes?

Thanks for reading and eventually answering.
    FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bruno Buzzi Brassesco@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 26 05:42:41 2021
    Hi,

Take a look at Gdiplus package and classes like:
    - GdiplusBitmap
    - GdiplusGraphics

GdiplusGraphics exampleGdipNestedContainers.
    GdiplusGraphics exampleGdipNestedContainers .

regards,
    bruno

El lunes, 25 de enero de 2021 a las 20:47:15 UTC-3, fbek...@gmail.com escribió:
    Beginner's question,
    Dolphin Smalltalk 7.1.19

What is an app if it cannot display a picture worth a thousand words? But it doesn't seem to be an easy task in Dolphin.

While I'm still trying to figure out solutions to the other issues already raised, and then some more, the next step for my MVP would be to draw some basic geometrical figures, starting with a simple rectangle, then other Tee, Trapezoid, etc. Ideally,
    there should be a layer for the main figure, a layer for the dimensions and other text, and a layer for grids and axes. But I'll settle for just a rectangle as a start.

Is there any graphics plugin that would make life a bit easier? If not, where do I start with Canvas and Inkstrokes?

FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From F Bek@21:1/5 to bruno.b...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 26 09:12:18 2021
    Oh! Quite revealing! Thank you Bruno.
    Checking the examples of GdiplusGraphics, there's a lot to digest there!
    But the examples of GdiplusImage and GdiplusBitmap fail mostly; apparently some messages are not supported and some resources are missing.
    Anyway, lots of new material to learn from and code to try! Is there a documentation or tutorial somewhere?

FB

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 3:42:43 PM UTC+2, bruno.b...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi,

- GdiplusBitmap
    - GdiplusGraphics

regards,
    bruno
    Beginner's question,
    Dolphin Smalltalk 7.1.19

FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruno Buzzi Brassesco@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 26 09:29:42 2021
    Hi,
    It seems that some resources are broken. Test it with the lastest Dolphin from Github and if the problem is still there create an issue on Github.

Gdiplus is pretty awesome. I have made a chess notation tool with it some time ago:
    - Render chessboard (with different styles)
    - Render pieces (with different styles)
    - Drag and drop pieces on the chessboard
    - Lot of visual effects on the chessboard

If you want something even more cool take a look at this (4 parts) tutorial by Andy Bower:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJWcQJseLQ&t=736s

regards,
    bruno

El martes, 26 de enero de 2021 a las 14:12:19 UTC-3, fbek...@gmail.com escribió:
    Checking the examples of GdiplusGraphics, there's a lot to digest there!
    But the examples of GdiplusImage and GdiplusBitmap fail mostly; apparently some messages are not supported and some resources are missing.
    Anyway, lots of new material to learn from and code to try! Is there a documentation or tutorial somewhere?

FB
    Hi,

- GdiplusBitmap
    - GdiplusGraphics

regards,
    bruno
    Beginner's question,
    Dolphin Smalltalk 7.1.19

While I'm still trying to figure out solutions to the other issues already raised, and then some more, the next step for my MVP would be to draw some basic geometrical figures, starting with a simple rectangle, then other Tee, Trapezoid, etc.
    Ideally, there should be a layer for the main figure, a layer for the dimensions and other text, and a layer for grids and axes. But I'll settle for just a rectangle as a start.

FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From F Bek@21:1/5 to bruno.b...@gmail.com on Tue Jan 26 11:49:20 2021
    Going through the videos! This is great!
    Will get the latest Dolphin installable when it's available (Github is something else I'll have to learn to deal with).
    Thanks again.

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 7:29:43 PM UTC+2, bruno.b...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi,
    It seems that some resources are broken. Test it with the lastest Dolphin from Github and if the problem is still there create an issue on Github.

Gdiplus is pretty awesome. I have made a chess notation tool with it some time ago:
    - Render chessboard (with different styles)
    - Render pieces (with different styles)
    - Drag and drop pieces on the chessboard
    - Lot of visual effects on the chessboard

If you want something even more cool take a look at this (4 parts) tutorial by Andy Bower:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiJWcQJseLQ&t=736s

regards,
    bruno
    El martes, 26 de enero de 2021 a las 14:12:19 UTC-3, fbek...@gmail.com escribió:
    Checking the examples of GdiplusGraphics, there's a lot to digest there! But the examples of GdiplusImage and GdiplusBitmap fail mostly; apparently some messages are not supported and some resources are missing.

FB
    Hi,

- GdiplusBitmap
    - GdiplusGraphics

regards,
    bruno
    Beginner's question,
    Dolphin Smalltalk 7.1.19

While I'm still trying to figure out solutions to the other issues already raised, and then some more, the next step for my MVP would be to draw some basic geometrical figures, starting with a simple rectangle, then other Tee, Trapezoid, etc.
    Ideally, there should be a layer for the main figure, a layer for the dimensions and other text, and a layer for grids and axes. But I'll settle for just a rectangle as a start.

FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05