• Package Browser does not browse offline packages

From F Bek@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 5 15:21:01 2021
    Beginner's question.
    Dolphin Smalltalk (DS) 7.1.19

While the Package Browser does a good job at looking into all aspects and details of the installed packages, it is unable to open and read packages which are not installed, without installing them on the fly first - which may cause havoc if they are
    badly behaved.

The closest thing I've found, was using the Chunk Browser, which offers a kind of similar functionality, without the neat organization of the former. But I am still wondering why the Package Browser cannot sneak peak into off-image packages, provide
    details and possibly prewarn about eventual incompatibilities. Or is there a way?

Thanks for reading and eventually responding .
    FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From john.aspinall@gmail.com@21:1/5 to fbek...@gmail.com on Wed Jan 6 03:21:20 2021
    Hi - that sounds like a worthwhile improvement, could you raise it as an enhancement request on the Dolphin GitHub?

I'd be happy to take a look if it's approved; I already have some code for parsing uninstalled packages as part of another project.

Cheers.

John

On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 11:21:02 PM UTC, fbek...@gmail.com wrote:
    Beginner's question.

While the Package Browser does a good job at looking into all aspects and details of the installed packages, it is unable to open and read packages which are not installed, without installing them on the fly first - which may cause havoc if they are
    badly behaved.

The closest thing I've found, was using the Chunk Browser, which offers a kind of similar functionality, without the neat organization of the former. But I am still wondering why the Package Browser cannot sneak peak into off-image packages, provide
    details and possibly prewarn about eventual incompatibilities. Or is there a way?

FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From F Bek@21:1/5 to john.a...@gmail.com on Fri Jan 8 07:12:35 2021
    Hi - It's done!
    I've also added the case of 'loose duplicate resources that keep jumping packages': in case a duplicate class, method or or other resource, is being loaded by a new package, the Package Browser could offer to choose which version to keep and in which
    package - instead of providing a warning that the already loaded resources are about to be overwritten and stripped from their original package.

Regards,
    FB

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021 at 1:21:21 PM UTC+2, john.a...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi - that sounds like a worthwhile improvement, could you raise it as an enhancement request on the Dolphin GitHub?

I'd be happy to take a look if it's approved; I already have some code for parsing uninstalled packages as part of another project.

Cheers.

John
    On Tuesday, January 5, 2021 at 11:21:02 PM UTC, fbek...@gmail.com wrote:
    Beginner's question.

badly behaved.

FB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05