• Errata list for "Modern Fortran Explained"

    From m_b_metcalf@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 13 01:41:39 2021
    Since the latest edition of "Modern Fortran Explained" was published over two years ago, a number of errors and other infelicities have come to light. Further, a number of interpretations of the standard by the standards committees require modifications
    to the book.

    These changes will be incorporated progressively into future printings but, in the meanwhile, the most important ones have been gathered into an errata file, as promised at the bottom of p. vii of the book:

    ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf

    We hope this is of some use.

    Regards,

    Mike Metcalf

    P.S. For some obscure reason, the file seems to be inaccessible to the Microsoft Edge browser.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to michaelmetcalf@compuserve.com on Tue Jul 13 10:04:10 2021
    On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 01:41:39 -0700 (PDT)
    m_b_metcalf <michaelmetcalf@compuserve.com> wrote:
    Since the latest edition of "Modern Fortran Explained" was published over two years ago, a number of errors and other infelicities have come to light. Further, a number of interpretations of the standard by the standards committees require
    modifications to the book.

    These changes will be incorporated progressively into future printings but, in the meanwhile, the most important ones have been gathered into an errata file, as promised at the bottom of p. vii of the book:

    ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf

    We hope this is of some use.

    Regards,

    Mike Metcalf

    P.S. For some obscure reason, the file seems to be inaccessible to the Microsoft Edge browser.

    Does Microsoft Edge have FTP support ? Googling for "microsoft edge ftp support"
    showed that from some version onwards it dropped support for FTP. I didn't look carefully at the results so perhaps I misunderstood something but this is the impression I got.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From CyrMag@21:1/5 to Spiros Bousbouras on Tue Jul 13 04:38:34 2021
    On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 5:04:13 AM UTC-5, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 01:41:39 -0700 (PDT)
    m_b_metcalf <michael...@compuserve.com> wrote:
    Since the latest edition of "Modern Fortran Explained" was published over two years ago, a number of errors and other infelicities have come to light. Further, a number of interpretations of the standard by the standards committees require
    modifications to the book.

    These changes will be incorporated progressively into future printings but, in the meanwhile, the most important ones have been gathered into an errata file, as promised at the bottom of p. vii of the book:

    ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf

    We hope this is of some use.

    Regards,

    Mike Metcalf

    P.S. For some obscure reason, the file seems to be inaccessible to the Microsoft Edge browser.
    Does Microsoft Edge have FTP support ? Googling for "microsoft edge ftp support"
    showed that from some version onwards it dropped support for FTP. I didn't look
    carefully at the results so perhaps I misunderstood something but this is the
    impression I got.
    Chrome on ChromeOS also does the same. Many modern browsers block FTP downloads as insecure.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jeff Ryman@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 13 09:36:22 2021
    On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 1:41:41 AM UTC-7, m_b_metcalf wrote:
    Since the latest edition of "Modern Fortran Explained" was published over two years ago, a number of errors and other infelicities have come to light. Further, a number of interpretations of the standard by the standards committees require
    modifications to the book.

    These changes will be incorporated progressively into future printings but, in the meanwhile, the most important ones have been gathered into an errata file, as promised at the bottom of p. vii of the book:

    ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf

    We hope this is of some use.

    Regards,

    Mike Metcalf

    P.S. For some obscure reason, the file seems to be inaccessible to the Microsoft Edge browser.
    Couldn't get Firefox v89.0.2 to open the file either, even after specifying Acrobat Reader to use as the app. I finally got it open with Internet Explorer.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lynn McGuire@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 13 17:45:30 2021
    On 7/13/2021 3:41 AM, m_b_metcalf wrote:
    Since the latest edition of "Modern Fortran Explained" was published over two years ago, a number of errors and other infelicities have come to light. Further, a number of interpretations of the standard by the standards committees require
    modifications to the book.

    These changes will be incorporated progressively into future printings but, in the meanwhile, the most important ones have been gathered into an errata file, as promised at the bottom of p. vii of the book:

    ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf

    We hope this is of some use.

    Regards,

    Mike Metcalf

    P.S. For some obscure reason, the file seems to be inaccessible to the Microsoft Edge browser.

    If you give the file an HTTPS, or HTTP, address then Microsoft Edge and
    the version 90 of Firefox released today will be able to access the file.

    Lynn

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From m_b_metcalf@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 14 05:22:22 2021
    Many thanks for all the feedback. We will investigate a more modern approach and post it here.

    Regards,

    Mike Metcalf

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From m_b_metcalf@21:1/5 to Spiros Bousbouras on Wed Jul 14 11:54:37 2021
    On Wednesday, 14 July 2021 at 20:32:24 UTC+2, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:
    On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 05:22:22 -0700 (PDT)
    m_b_metcalf <michael...@compuserve.com> wrote:
    Many thanks for all the feedback. We will investigate a more modern approach and post it here.
    Your approach seems fine to me and it is those browsers which no longer support FTP which have the problem. I can access ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf both using w3m (a text based browser) and download it using wget (www.gnu.org/software/wget) .If I want to save a web based file , I will use wget anyway. curl also works.

    That may or may not be the case, but we want to make this file available very simply, without requiring readers possibly to jump through hoops.

    Mike

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Spiros Bousbouras@21:1/5 to michaelmetcalf@compuserve.com on Wed Jul 14 18:32:16 2021
    On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 05:22:22 -0700 (PDT)
    m_b_metcalf <michaelmetcalf@compuserve.com> wrote:
    Many thanks for all the feedback. We will investigate a more modern
    approach and post it here.

    Your approach seems fine to me and it is those browsers which no longer
    support FTP which have the problem. I can access ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf both using w3m (a text based browser) and download it using wget (www.gnu.org/software/wget) .If I want to save a web based file , I will use wget anyway. curl also works.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From gah4@21:1/5 to Spiros Bousbouras on Wed Jul 14 18:26:37 2021
    On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 11:32:24 AM UTC-7, Spiros Bousbouras wrote:

    (snip)
    Your approach seems fine to me and it is those browsers which no longer support FTP which have the problem. I can access ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf both using w3m (a text based browser) and download it using wget (www.gnu.org/software/wget) .If I want to save a web based file , I will use wget anyway. curl also works.

    It seems that ftp is removed from Firefox 90. It is disabled by default,
    but can be enabled, in recent previous versions.

    As far as I can tell, it is still in Chrome, but again disabled by default.

    I don't know about others.

    You could put it on an http server, or the same server doing both.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ian Gay@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 15 09:24:53 2021
    gah4 wrote:

    On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 11:32:24 AM UTC-7, Spiros Bousbouras
    wrote:

    (snip)
    Your approach seems fine to me and it is those browsers which no
    longer support FTP which have the problem. I can access
    ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf both using w3m (a
    text based browser) and download it using wget
    (www.gnu.org/software/wget) .If I want to save a web based file , I
    will use wget anyway. curl also works.

    It seems that ftp is removed from Firefox 90. It is disabled by
    default, but can be enabled, in recent previous versions.

    As far as I can tell, it is still in Chrome, but again disabled by
    default.

    I don't know about others.

    You could put it on an http server, or the same server doing both.

    It downloaded ok for me using Firefox 78.12.0 on Linux.
    There is an entry in about:config called network.ftp.enabled which was
    already on by default in this version of Ff. I suppose this is the
    place to turn it on, if it's not working for you.

    Ian


    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lynn McGuire@21:1/5 to Ian Gay on Thu Jul 15 14:10:01 2021
    On 7/15/2021 11:24 AM, Ian Gay wrote:
    gah4 wrote:

    On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 11:32:24 AM UTC-7, Spiros Bousbouras
    wrote:

    (snip)
    Your approach seems fine to me and it is those browsers which no
    longer support FTP which have the problem. I can access
    ftp://ftp.numerical.rl.ac.uk/pub/MRandC/edits.pdf both using w3m (a
    text based browser) and download it using wget
    (www.gnu.org/software/wget) .If I want to save a web based file , I
    will use wget anyway. curl also works.

    It seems that ftp is removed from Firefox 90. It is disabled by
    default, but can be enabled, in recent previous versions.

    As far as I can tell, it is still in Chrome, but again disabled by
    default.

    I don't know about others.

    You could put it on an http server, or the same server doing both.

    It downloaded ok for me using Firefox 78.12.0 on Linux.
    There is an entry in about:config called network.ftp.enabled which was already on by default in this version of Ff. I suppose this is the
    place to turn it on, if it's not working for you.

    Ian

    Firefox version 90.0 dropped support for FTP servers.

    Lynn

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)