• Can a named-constant in a complex-literal-constant have rank > 0?

From Peter Klausler US@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 2 12:32:23 2022
    C718 requires that a named-constant that is used as the real-part or imag-part of a complex-literal-constant have a real or integer type, but it doesn't say anything about its rank. Some compilers allow an array-valued named constant to appear, others
    do not. For example:

real, parameter :: arr2(2) = [1., 2.]
    print *, (arr2, 3.)

Is there language anywhere else in the standard that requires such a named-constant to be scalar, or that implies such a constraint because a complex-literal-constant is assumed to be scalar? I can't find anything definitive one way or another.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jfh@21:1/5 to jfh on Wed Nov 2 13:55:31 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 9:32:39 AM UTC+13, jfh wrote:
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 8:32:26 AM UTC+13, Peter Klausler US wrote:
    C718 requires that a named-constant that is used as the real-part or imag-part of a complex-literal-constant have a real or integer type, but it doesn't say anything about its rank. Some compilers allow an array-valued named constant to appear,
    others do not. For example:

print *, (arr2, 3.)

Is there language anywhere else in the standard that requires such a named-constant to be scalar, or that implies such a constraint because a complex-literal-constant is assumed to be scalar? I can't find anything definitive one way or another.
    It seems that it can be an array but not a coarray. In the F2018 standard, R719 and R720 say the real-part and imag-part
    may be named constants, and 8.5.13 allows named constants that are arrays but not coarrays.

But the gfortran developers know Fortran better than I do and gfortran gives the error message
    3 | print *, (arr2, 3.)
    Error: Scalar PARAMETER required in complex constant at (1)

Ifort compiles and runs Klausler's program but prints the wrong answer:
    (0.0000000E+00,3.000000)

Does any compiler print the hoped-for (1.000000,3.000000) and (2.000000,3.000000) ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfh@21:1/5 to Peter Klausler US on Wed Nov 2 13:32:37 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 8:32:26 AM UTC+13, Peter Klausler US wrote:
    C718 requires that a named-constant that is used as the real-part or imag-part of a complex-literal-constant have a real or integer type, but it doesn't say anything about its rank. Some compilers allow an array-valued named constant to appear, others
    do not. For example:

print *, (arr2, 3.)

It seems that it can be an array but not a coarray. In the F2018 standard, R719 and R720 say the real-part and imag-part
    may be named constants, and 8.5.13 allows named constants that are arrays but not coarrays.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Klausler US@21:1/5 to jfh on Wed Nov 2 15:19:53 2022
    On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 1:55:33 PM UTC-7, jfh wrote:
    Does any compiler print the hoped-for (1.000000,3.000000) and (2.000000,3.000000) ?

f18 prints " (1.,3.) (2.,3.)".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FortranFan@21:1/5 to jfh on Wed Nov 2 16:57:36 2022
    On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 4:55:33 PM UTC-4, jfh wrote:

Rather than the "hoped for", chances are high the Fortran committee will think the standard needs a quick fix here.

That is, the equivalent of R719 and R720 in the revised document be updated to state something like "scalar named-constant" instead of leaving it as "named-constant." Which will be welcome for gfortran and any other compiler that issues a similar
    compile-time error.

OP can directly seek clarification on this at the J3 Fortran mailing list. Or have a colleague at Nvidia do so.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven G. Kargl@21:1/5 to jfh on Thu Nov 3 00:14:54 2022
    On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 13:55:31 -0700, jfh wrote:

On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 9:32:39 AM UTC+13, jfh wrote:
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 8:32:26 AM UTC+13, Peter Klausler US wrote: >> > C718 requires that a named-constant that is used as the real-part or imag-part of a complex-literal-constant have a real or integer type, but it doesn't say anything about its rank. Some compilers allow an array-valued named constant to appear,

print *, (arr2, 3.)

But the gfortran developers know Fortran better than I do and gfortran gives the error message
    3 | print *, (arr2, 3.)
    Error: Scalar PARAMETER required in complex constant at (1)

gfortran started life as Fortran 95 compilers. Named-constants
    were not permitted in a complex literal-constant. The above
    error could be hold over from days past.

I was going to argument that one might be imposing some rule
    for cmplx(arr2,3.) to the above, but there doesn't appear to
    a rule that the real and imaginary parts are conformable.

It seems Peter has stumbled on an oversight.

--
    steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Klausler US@21:1/5 to FortranFan on Wed Nov 2 17:20:22 2022
    On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 4:57:38 PM UTC-7, FortranFan wrote:
    Rather than the "hoped for", chances are high the Fortran committee will think the standard needs a quick fix here.

Thanks, but I think that I have what I need in order to classify this feature in the f18 documentation at https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/flang/docs/Extensions.md -- I wasn't sure whether it was an "extension" or a "standard feature that
    might as well not be".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Klausler US@21:1/5 to Steven G. Kargl on Wed Nov 2 17:23:38 2022
    On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 5:17:37 PM UTC-7, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
    What happens if you do

program foo
    real, parameter :: a(2) = [1,2], b(3) = [1,2,3]
    print *, (a,b)
    end program foo

./t2.f90:3:10: error: Dimension 1 of left operand has extent 2, but right operand has extent 3
    print *, (a,b)
    ^^^^^

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Lionel@21:1/5 to Peter Klausler US on Wed Nov 2 20:42:44 2022
    On 11/2/2022 3:32 PM, Peter Klausler US wrote:
    do not. For example:

print *, (arr2, 3.)

(I realize I meant to do a follow-up to the group and instead sent an
    email to Peter...)

NAG Fortran does not accept this code. I can't find words in the
    standard that either prohibit it, or assign it an interpretation.
    Malcolm would say that means it's not allowed. I have asked him for his thoughts, and suggested that a constraint should be added to require
    that both parts be scalar (which NAG evidently believes is the rule.)

Another possibility, which I don't like but Peter seems to want, is that
    if both are arrays that they be the same shape and if only one is scalar
    that it gets duplicated to the shape of the other. This feels messy to me.
    --
    Steve Lionel
    ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG5 (Fortran) Convenor
    Retired Intel Fortran developer/support
    Email: firstname at firstnamelastname dot com
    Twitter: @DoctorFortran
    LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevelionel
    Blog: https://stevelionel.com/drfortran
    WG5: https://wg5-fortran.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven G. Kargl@21:1/5 to Peter Klausler US on Thu Nov 3 00:17:34 2022
    On Wed, 02 Nov 2022 15:19:53 -0700, Peter Klausler US wrote:

On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 1:55:33 PM UTC-7, jfh wrote:

What happens if you do

program foo
    real, parameter :: a(2) = [1,2], b(3) = [1,2,3]
    print *, (a,b)
    end program foo

gfortran gives the same 'Scalar PARAMETER ...' error.
    In your case, arr2 and 3. are conformable.

--
    steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Klausler US@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Wed Nov 2 18:03:38 2022
    On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 5:42:48 PM UTC-7, Steve Lionel wrote:
    if both are arrays that they be the same shape and if only one is scalar
    that it gets duplicated to the shape of the other. This feels messy to me.

Many Fortran compilers support an extension feature "(a,b)" that is a generalized
    complex constructor -- basically equivalent to CMPLX(a,b) except that the imaginary
    part 'b' can't be a non-present optional dummy argument and the result type's kind being
    automatically determined as it would be for "a+b". So some ordered pairs are standard-conforming complex-literal-constants, and others are extension complex constructors. The classification of the case in which one or both parts was a named
    constant array is not clear, but it's either a complex-literal-constant or an extension
    complex constructor to f18, and the result is the same either way, with the distinction
    just being one of documentation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Klausler US@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 3 10:04:55 2022
    A briefer way to explain "(a,b)" when it's not a complex-literal-constant is "(a)+(0,1)*(b)" with a & b constrained to be real or integer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfh@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Sat Nov 5 01:10:55 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 1:42:48 PM UTC+13, Steve Lionel wrote:
    C718 requires that a named-constant that is used as the real-part or imag-part of a complex-literal-constant have a real or integer type, but it doesn't say anything about its rank. Some compilers allow an array-valued named constant to appear,

print *, (arr2, 3.)

(I realize I meant to do a follow-up to the group and instead sent an
    email to Peter...)

Malcolm would say that means it's not allowed. I have asked him for his thoughts, and suggested that a constraint should be added to require

if both are arrays that they be the same shape and if only one is scalar that it gets duplicated to the shape of the other. This feels messy to me. --
    Steve Lionel

The possibility that Peter wants and Steve thinks is messy is exactly what the cmplx intrinsic allows. Both the compilers I can use, ifort and gfortran, are happy with this program.

complex,parameter:: c(2) = cmplx([1.0,2.0], 3.0)
    print *, c
    end program

Of course both those compilers object, in different ways, if the word cmplx is removed from the above program.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to jfh on Sat Nov 5 13:39:53 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 4:10:57 AM UTC-4, jfh wrote:

print *, (arr2, 3.)

(I realize I meant to do a follow-up to the group and instead sent an email to Peter...)

Another possibility, which I don't like but Peter seems to want, is that if both are arrays that they be the same shape and if only one is scalar that it gets duplicated to the shape of the other. This feels messy to me. --
    Steve Lionel
    The possibility that Peter wants and Steve thinks is messy is exactly what the cmplx intrinsic allows. Both the compilers I can use, ifort and gfortran, are happy with this program.

print *, c
    end program

Of course both those compilers object, in different ways, if the word cmplx is removed from the above program.

I have generally thought of (x,y) as equivalent to cmplx(x,y) without the issues with kind that cmplx() has with the restriction that the values are constant; and being that CMPLX is an elemental function I would have expected the same behavior
    between the two, personally. I also found it confusing in the past I could do

real,parameter :: x=3.0*3.0, y=sin(10.0)
    complex :: z=(x,y)
    complex :: zz=cmplx(3.0*3.0,sin(10.0))

but not

complex,parameter :: zzz=(3.0*3.0,sin(10.0))

as well, so I as a rule just use cmplx and always specify the kind anyway, even though it gets pretty verbose. Probably why the COMPLEX function is a common extension!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 5 13:48:44 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 4:39:55 PM UTC-4, John wrote:

print *, (arr2, 3.)

(I realize I meant to do a follow-up to the group and instead sent an email to Peter...)

NAG Fortran does not accept this code. I can't find words in the standard that either prohibit it, or assign it an interpretation. Malcolm would say that means it's not allowed. I have asked him for his thoughts, and suggested that a constraint should be added to require that both parts be scalar (which NAG evidently believes is the rule.)

Another possibility, which I don't like but Peter seems to want, is that if both are arrays that they be the same shape and if only one is scalar that it gets duplicated to the shape of the other. This feels messy to me.
    --
    Steve Lionel

print *, c
    end program

I have generally thought of (x,y) as equivalent to cmplx(x,y) without the issues with kind that cmplx() has with the restriction that the values are constant; and being that CMPLX is an elemental function I would have expected the same behavior between
    the two, personally. I also found it confusing in the past I could do

but not

as well, so I as a rule just use cmplx and always specify the kind anyway, even though it gets pretty verbose. Probably why the COMPLEX function is a common extension!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 5 13:52:49 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 4:39:55 PM UTC-4, John wrote:

print *, (arr2, 3.)

NAG Fortran does not accept this code. I can't find words in the standard that either prohibit it, or assign it an interpretation. Malcolm would say that means it's not allowed. I have asked him for his thoughts, and suggested that a constraint should be added to require that both parts be scalar (which NAG evidently believes is the rule.)

Another possibility, which I don't like but Peter seems to want, is that if both are arrays that they be the same shape and if only one is scalar that it gets duplicated to the shape of the other. This feels messy to me.
    --
    Steve Lionel

print *, c
    end program

I have generally thought of (x,y) as equivalent to cmplx(x,y) without the issues with kind that cmplx() has with the restriction that the values are constant; and being that CMPLX is an elemental function I would have expected the same behavior between
    the two, personally. I also found it confusing in the past I could do

but not

I just remembered an old argument about how some compilers allowed redundant parenthesis around expressions and how allowing anything but constants would break that, but just tried three compilers and none of them did so maybe that is a moot point. Does
    anyone know of a compiler that still allows something like "print *, (3+10*3)" printing a scalar integer, for example?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Lionel@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 5 19:09:48 2022
    On 11/5/2022 4:52 PM, John wrote:
    I just remembered an old argument about how some compilers allowed redundant parenthesis around expressions and how allowing anything but constants would break that, but just tried three compilers and none of them did so maybe that is a moot point.
    Does anyone know of a compiler that still allows something like "print *, (3+10*3)" printing a scalar integer, for example?

D:\Projects>type t.f90
    print *, (3+10*3)
    end
    D:\Projects>ifort t.f90
    Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler Classic for applications running
    on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.7.0 Build 20220726_000000
    Copyright (C) 1985-2022 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.33.31630.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

-out:t.exe
    -subsystem:console
    t.obj

D:\Projects>t.exe

D:\Projects>

I recognize the similarity to CMPLX, but am not sure the standard wants
    to make complex constants elemental. I'm intending to write a paper and
    see what the sense of the committee is on this. For F2023, which is in
    the DIS stage, it would be simple to require the real and imaginary
    parts to be scalar. Trying to do more at this point would risk
    complications that often happen with last-minute expansions of semantics
    - and it could be considered for F202Y.
    --
    Steve Lionel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Sat Nov 5 16:29:12 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 7:09:53 PM UTC-4, Steve Lionel wrote:
    I just remembered an old argument about how some compilers allowed redundant parenthesis around expressions and how allowing anything but constants would break that, but just tried three compilers and none of them did so maybe that is a moot point.
    Does anyone know of a compiler that still allows something like "print *, (3+10*3)" printing a scalar integer, for example?
    print *, (3+10*3)
    end

t.obj

--
    Steve Lionel

ifort was one of the ones I (mis)-tested. Was compiling a unicode file. So it would potentially break a lot of things to
    allow for any form of expression, even a constant expression; potentially.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Sat Nov 5 16:43:26 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 7:09:53 PM UTC-4, Steve Lionel wrote:
    print *, (3+10*3)
    end

t.obj

--
    Steve Lionel
    Email: firstname at firstnamelastname dot com program main
    implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main

Have to say, the results with ifort and nvfortran were still surprising for the first print

33 0
    (3.000000,0.0000000E+00)

But, as I mentioned, I quit using that syntax a long time ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Lionel@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 5 20:50:39 2022
    On 11/5/2022 7:43 PM, John wrote:
    implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main

Have to say, the results with ifort and nvfortran were still surprising for the first print

33 0
    Why? That's clearly a complex literal.

--
    Steve Lionel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gah4@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 5 19:44:13 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 4:45:29 PM UTC-7, John wrote:

(snip)

implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main

The third is a complex constant.
    The second is an expression in parens.

And the form that is supposed to not be allowed, in implied-DO without the implied-DO.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Sat Nov 5 20:33:48 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 8:50:44 PM UTC-4, Steve Lionel wrote:
    implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main

33 0
    --
    Steve Lionel
    with list-directed output a complex value would appear at "(33.0,0.0)"; it printed as two integers. Being two (constant) expressions I actually expected an error. maybe that it would be an acceptable complex value, as it would have generated with CMPLX()
    ; being in parenthesis I did not expect it to treat it at "print *, 3+10*3, 0".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 20:27:55 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 10:46:17 PM UTC-4, gah4 wrote:
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 4:45:29 PM UTC-7, John wrote:

(snip)
    implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main
    The third is a complex constant.
    The second is an expression in parens.

And the form that is supposed to not be allowed, in implied-DO without the implied-DO.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 5 20:37:11 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 11:33:50 PM UTC-4, John wrote:
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 8:50:44 PM UTC-4, Steve Lionel wrote:
    implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main

33 0
    --
    Steve Lionel
    with list-directed output a complex value would appear at "(33.0,0.0)"; it printed as two integers. Being two (constant) expressions I actually expected an error. maybe that it would be an acceptable complex value, as it would have generated with CMPLX(
    ); being in parenthesis I did not expect it to treat it at "print *, 3+10*3, 0".

or maybe it treated it as "print *,(3+10*3,0,i=1,1)"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gah4@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 5 21:59:30 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 8:37:13 PM UTC-7, John wrote:

(snip)

or maybe it treated it as "print *,(3+10*3,0,i=1,1)"

This is my understanding.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robin Vowels@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Sun Nov 6 00:49:45 2022
    On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 11:50:44 AM UTC+11, Steve Lionel wrote:
    implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main

33 0
    3+10*3 looks like an expression to me, not a constant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gah4@21:1/5 to Robin Vowels on Sun Nov 6 04:03:53 2022
    On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 12:49:47 AM UTC-7, Robin Vowels wrote:

(snip)

3+10*3 looks like an expression to me, not a constant.

It is a constant in C. I am not sure about Fortran, which is why this
    question is so interesting.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Klausler US@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Sun Nov 6 10:00:45 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 5:50:44 PM UTC-7, Steve Lionel wrote:
    implicit none
    print *, (3+10*3,0)
    print *, (3+10*3)
    print *, (3,0)
    end program main

33 0

It is not a complex-literal-constant (R718) -- the real and imaginary parts would have to be both signed-int-literal-constant, signed-real-literal-constant, or named constants.

It is not a complex constant expression, either, in standard Fortran, for obvious reasons.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Lionel@21:1/5 to Peter Klausler US on Mon Nov 7 09:14:21 2022
    On 11/6/2022 1:00 PM, Peter Klausler US wrote:
    It is not a complex-literal-constant (R718) -- the real and imaginary parts would have to be both signed-int-literal-constant, signed-real-literal-constant, or named constants.

Agree - I thought I posted a correction yesterday, but don't see it.

NAG Fortran rejects "print *, (3+10*3,0)". Intel Fortran accepts it as
    it has an extension allowing a parenthesized I/O list - it will complain
    if you ask for standards checking.
    --
    Steve Lionel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Mon Nov 7 17:01:12 2022
    On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 9:14:25 AM UTC-5, Steve Lionel wrote:

--
    Steve Lionel

Another thing the vexes me about complex variables is which compilers have it right for passing x%re and x%im as arguments?
    I should probably report this to one or the other, but I cannot find anything in the standard so far that clears up "TEST II" so far.
    Does anyone else see it?

$ gfortran x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.000000,0.141120002)
    (200.000000,0.141120002)

$ ifort x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    (100.0000,0.1411200)

$ nvfortran x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    $ cat x-x.f90

> program testit
    > complex :: x
    > ! TEST I
    > ! x%re|mi can appear on the left-hand side of an assignment
    > x%re=100.0
    > x%im=sin(3.0)
    >
    > ! TEST II
    > write(*,*)x
    > ! it can be passed as a subroutine argument and be changed
    > call trivial(x%re)
    > write(*,*)x
    > contains
    > subroutine trivial(r)
    > real :: r
    > r=r*2
    > end subroutine trivial
    > end program testit

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven G. Kargl@21:1/5 to John on Wed Nov 9 01:19:55 2022
    On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 17:01:12 -0800, John wrote:

--
    Steve Lionel

Another thing the vexes me about complex variables is which compilers have it right for passing x%re and x%im as arguments?
    I should probably report this to one or the other, but I cannot find anything in the standard so far that clears up "TEST II" so far.
    Does anyone else see it?

$ gfortran x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.000000,0.141120002)
    (200.000000,0.141120002)

$ ifort x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    (100.0000,0.1411200)

$ nvfortran x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    $ cat x-x.f90

> program testit
    > complex :: x
    > ! TEST I
    > ! x%re|mi can appear on the left-hand side of an assignment
    > x%re=100.0
    > x%im=sin(3.0)
    >
    > ! TEST II
    > write(*,*)x
    > ! it can be passed as a subroutine argument and be changed
    > call trivial(x%re)
    > write(*,*)x
    > contains
    > subroutine trivial(r)
    > real :: r
    > r=r*2

I believe that gfortran is correct.

9.1 Designator

R901 designator is object-name
    or array-element
    or array-section
    or coindexed-named-object
    or complex-part-designator
    or structure-component
    or substring

1 The appearance of a data object designator in a context that requires its value
    is termed a reference.

9.2 Variable is designator

R902 variable

There is nothing in

19.6.5 Events that cause variables to become defined

1 Variables become defined by the following events.

the long list that disqualifies a complex-part-designator
    from being manipulated through the argument association
    with a dummy argument.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Steven G. Kargl on Wed Nov 9 06:24:05 2022
    On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 8:19:58 PM UTC-5, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
    On Mon, 07 Nov 2022 17:01:12 -0800, John wrote:

it has an extension allowing a parenthesized I/O list - it will complain >> if you ask for standards checking.
    --
    Steve Lionel

Does anyone else see it?

$ gfortran x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.000000,0.141120002)
    (200.000000,0.141120002)

$ ifort x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    (100.0000,0.1411200)

$ nvfortran x-x.f90
    $ ./a.out
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    (100.0000,0.1411200)
    $ cat x-x.f90

program testit
    complex :: x
    ! TEST I
    ! x%re|mi can appear on the left-hand side of an assignment
    x%re=100.0
    x%im=sin(3.0)

! TEST II
    write(*,*)x
    ! it can be passed as a subroutine argument and be changed
    call trivial(x%re)
    write(*,*)x
    contains
    subroutine trivial(r)
    real :: r
    r=r*2
    I believe that gfortran is correct.

9.1 Designator

R901 designator is object-name
    or array-element
    or array-section
    or coindexed-named-object
    or complex-part-designator
    or structure-component
    or substring

1 The appearance of a data object designator in a context that requires its value
    is termed a reference.

9.2 Variable is designator

R902 variable

There is nothing in

19.6.5 Events that cause variables to become defined

1 Variables become defined by the following events.

the long list that disqualifies a complex-part-designator
    from being manipulated through the argument association
    with a dummy argument.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Two out of three compilers I tried did not agree with what I expected, and I did not see what, when you extract and present it as you did, suddenly looks (relatively) clear. I will report to Intel and Nvidia. Curious if
    anyone has results for NAG/Cray/IBM/...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Lionel@21:1/5 to John on Wed Nov 9 10:39:46 2022
    On 11/9/2022 9:24 AM, John wrote:
    Curious if anyone has results for NAG/Cray/IBM/...
    D:\Projects>nagfor -o t.exe t.f90
    NAG Fortran Compiler Release 7.1(Hanzomon) Build 7114
    [NAG Fortran Compiler normal termination]

(1.0000000E+02,0.1411200)
    (2.0000000E+02,0.1411200)

--
    Steve Lionel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfh@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Wed Nov 9 12:21:47 2022
    On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 4:39:49 AM UTC+13, Steve Lionel wrote:
    On 11/9/2022 9:24 AM, John wrote:
    Curious if anyone has results for NAG/Cray/IBM/...
    D:\Projects>nagfor -o t.exe t.f90
    NAG Fortran Compiler Release 7.1(Hanzomon) Build 7114
    [NAG Fortran Compiler normal termination]

(1.0000000E+02,0.1411200)
    (2.0000000E+02,0.1411200)

--
    Steve Lionel

On renaming the program xreim.f90 and making the dummy argument r of subroutine trivial intent(inout) ifort gave this compile-time error message:

xreim.f90(11): error #6638: An actual argument is an expression or constant; this is not valid since the associated dummy argument has the explicit INTENT(OUT) or INTENT(INOUT) attribute. [REAL]
    call trivial(x%re)
    ^
    compilation aborted for xreim.f90 (code 1)

That made it clearer why ifort did what it did. Whether it was standard-conforming is a more subtle question.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 11 18:02:52 2022
    FYI: Reported issues with complex designators on Intel Forum ...

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/Issues-with-complex-part-designators/m-p/1429557#M163510

Did anyone ask J3 for clarification on original issue?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Lionel@21:1/5 to John on Sat Nov 12 14:18:58 2022
    On 11/11/2022 9:02 PM, John wrote:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Fortran-Compiler/Issues-with-complex-part-designators/m-p/1429557#M163510

Unnecessary - the standard is quite clear that a complex-part-designator
    is a variable. That ifort doesn't treat it that way is a bug.
    --
    Steve Lionel

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John@21:1/5 to Steve Lionel on Wed Nov 16 17:56:32 2022
    On Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 2:19:01 PM UTC-5, Steve Lionel wrote:
    On 11/11/2022 9:02 PM, John wrote:

Unnecessary - the standard is quite clear that a complex-part-designator
    is a variable. That ifort doesn't treat it that way is a bug.
    --
    Steve Lionel

FYI: Intel and the Intel forum were very responsive and Intel has opened 2 bug reports on the complex designator issues

CMLRLLVM-41931 for passing z%re to a subroutine that updates the value of the arg, but actual arg is unchanged after return.

CMLRIL0-35035 for the -check uninit that erroneously flags the assignment as illegal use of uninit variable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05