• Re: Looking for ncr century programmers

From Robert Armstrong@21:1/5 to ronald....@gmail.com on Fri Mar 25 08:44:36 2022
    On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 1:53:33 PM UTC-7, ronald....@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, October 10, 2020 at 12:48:12 AM UTC-5, Ronald Draper wrote:
    I am looking for ncr century programmers that may have punch card boot decks from days gone by.

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but I just happened to come across it while Googling. My high school had a Century 50 that did the data processing for the school district and I was fortunate enough, as a mere student and a sophomore at that, to be
    allowed to use it. First computer I ever saw, and I have a soft spot for them.

The Century series also had a fairly unique architecture - all operations were memory to memory (no programmer accessible registers in the CPU); variable length binary and BCD operands up to 256 bytes long; scalable from the Century 50 up to the 300
    with low end machines emulating unimplemented operations in software, etc. None of this was completely unheard of, but it was different.

I'd be very interested in working on a simh simulator for the Century series, but I've never been able to find any images or media for the system software. The executive, SPUR, OPUR, NEAT/3, FORTRAN, COBOL, etc all seem to have disappeared. Bitsavers
    has a few manuals, but even those are incomplete. If Ronald Draper is still listening, or anybody else for that matter, and has some of this stuff I'd love to hear about it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Robin Vowels@21:1/5 to docd...@panix.com on Sat Mar 26 07:42:35 2022
    On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 2:31:21 AM UTC+11, docd...@panix.com wrote:
    [posted and emailed]

In article <071e6c5a-cbf0-4cf3...@googlegroups.com>,
    Ronald Draper <ronald....@gmail.com> wrote:
    I am looking for...

When posting to comp.lang.cobol please include a rate, or range of rates, associated with the position(s) offered. Doing otherwise leads many to believe that you are either trolling for resumes or running a blind ad to determine rates.
    The OP is looking for card decks. The card decks will not be seeking wages.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From docdwarf@panix.com@21:1/5 to robin.vowels@gmail.com on Sat Mar 26 17:38:58 2022
    In article <80b789d6-7adf-424d-b751-eb9ec2a45bebn@googlegroups.com>,
    Robin Vowels <robin.vowels@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, October 11, 2020 at 2:31:21 AM UTC+11, docd...@panix.com wrote:
    [posted and emailed]

In article <071e6c5a-cbf0-4cf3...@googlegroups.com>,
    Ronald Draper <ronald....@gmail.com> wrote:
    I am looking for...

When posting to comp.lang.cobol please include a rate, or range of rates,
    associated with the position(s) offered. Doing otherwise leads many to
    believe that you are either trolling for resumes or running a blind ad to
    determine rates.
    The OP is looking for card decks. The card decks will not be seeking wages.

It will if it was payroll.

DD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05