• RxFuncAdd failing in Reginald REXX under Windows 10

From Peter Lusmore@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 11 16:09:20 2020
    If I try to use the RxFuncAdd statement in Reginald REXX under Windows 10 I get an error saying RXFUNCADD.REX not found.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dukeofpurl@21:1/5 to peterl...@gmail.com on Sat Jan 2 20:57:19 2021
    On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 5:09:21 p.m. UTC-6, peterl...@gmail.com wrote:
    If I try to use the RxFuncAdd statement in Reginald REXX under Windows 10 I get an error saying RXFUNCADD.REX not found.

Got the same error today! ???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Lusmore@21:1/5 to sidney.r...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 3 00:36:43 2021
    On Sunday, 3 January 2021 at 04:57:21 UTC, sidney.r...@gmail.com wrote:

I think the only option is to switch to another Rexx ariant, Jeff Glatt (the author of Reginald Rexx) seems to have abandoned the program and there has been no maintenance on it for years. The only variant under active maintenance seems to be ooRexx as
    Regina Rexx hasn't been updated since October 2019. Unfortunately your code may need some changes as there are some aspects that are Reginald specific.

It's a great shame as the Reginald IDE is the best there is and I've never found anything else that comes close to it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dukeofpurl@21:1/5 to peterl...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 3 10:53:14 2021
    On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 1:36:44 a.m. UTC-7, peterl...@gmail.com wrote:

I think the only option is to switch to another Rexx ariant, Jeff Glatt (the author of Reginald Rexx) seems to have abandoned the program and there has been no maintenance on it for years. The only variant under active maintenance seems to be ooRexx as
    Regina Rexx hasn't been updated since October 2019. Unfortunately your code may need some changes as there are some aspects that are Reginald specific.

It's a great shame as the Reginald IDE is the best there is and I've never found anything else that comes close to it.
    The Reginald IDE is very functional to be sure. I especially like
    the built-in language docs. I also use the conText editor as a very
    good IDE. I set it up to interpret/compile most languages. Sadly,
    it's very possible that Jeff Glatt may not be with us anymore due to
    the COVID fiasco! Thx for the input!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rony@21:1/5 to dukeofpurl on Mon Jan 4 12:45:30 2021
    On 03.01.2021 19:53, dukeofpurl wrote:

I think the only option is to switch to another Rexx ariant, Jeff Glatt (the author of Reginald Rexx) seems to have abandoned the program and there has been no maintenance on it for years. The only variant under active maintenance seems to be ooRexx
    as Regina Rexx hasn't been updated since October 2019. Unfortunately your code may need some changes as there are some aspects that are Reginald specific.

If using ooRexx I suggest to use the latest ooRexx 5.0 from [1]. Although officially dubbed "beta",
    it is of production quality (has ooRexx 4.2 bugs fixed, added very interesting new features, and is
    in some respects up to twenty times faster than 4.2).

As a possible replacement of the IDE one could try to use the community edition of the IntelliJ IDE
    from [2]. There is an "ooRexx-Plugin" for IntelliJ that supports the latest ooRexx features. (This
    IDE with the ooRexx plugin can be used for classic Rexx interpreters as well.)

HTH,

---rony

P.S.: If you have Java installed you could use all of Java as ooRexx, if you install the ooRexx-Java
    bridge named "BSF4ooRexx" which you can get from [4].

[1] ooRexx 5.0 download page: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/files/oorexx/5.0.0beta/>
    [2] IntelliJ IDE, look for the community edition: <https://www.jetbrains.com/idea/download/>
    [3] ooRexx-Plguin for the IntelliJ IDE: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/Sandbox/aseik/ooRexxIDEA/GA/2.0.2/>. (The ooRexx
    plugin may work on the Android IDE, which is based on IntelliJ.)
    [4] BSF4ooRexx download page: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/beta/20200928/>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dukeofpurl@21:1/5 to Rony on Mon Jan 4 18:32:29 2021
    On Monday, January 4, 2021 at 4:45:35 a.m. UTC-7, Rony wrote:
    On 03.01.2021 19:53, dukeofpurl wrote:
    On Sunday, 3 January 2021 at 04:57:21 UTC, sidney.r...@gmail.com wrote: >>> On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 5:09:21 p.m. UTC-6, peterl...@gmail.com wrote:

I think the only option is to switch to another Rexx ariant, Jeff Glatt (the author of Reginald Rexx) seems to have abandoned the program and there has been no maintenance on it for years. The only variant under active maintenance seems to be ooRexx
    as Regina Rexx hasn't been updated since October 2019. Unfortunately your code may need some changes as there are some aspects that are Reginald specific.

If using ooRexx I suggest to use the latest ooRexx 5.0 from [1]. Although officially dubbed "beta",
    it is of production quality (has ooRexx 4.2 bugs fixed, added very interesting new features, and is
    in some respects up to twenty times faster than 4.2).

As a possible replacement of the IDE one could try to use the community edition of the IntelliJ IDE
    from [2]. There is an "ooRexx-Plugin" for IntelliJ that supports the latest ooRexx features. (This
    IDE with the ooRexx plugin can be used for classic Rexx interpreters as well.)

HTH,

---rony

P.S.: If you have Java installed you could use all of Java as ooRexx, if you install the ooRexx-Java
    bridge named "BSF4ooRexx" which you can get from [4].

ooRexx? Java? Nice try! :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05