• How to install oorexx 5Beta on MS WIn10 WSL Debian 9 or Ubuntu 18

From pjfarley3@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 10 16:39:47 2020
    I would like to use oorexx 5.0 Beta on one of the Win10 WSL(v1) linux distros (Debian 9 or Ubuntu 18.04).

The WSL linux instances are command-line only so no GUI installer is available.

What are the correct procedures to install the oorexx 5 Beta DEB from sourceforge on one or both of these distributions please?

Can the ubuntu 16.04 DEB file on the sourceforge site be used to install to the Debian 9 distro as well as the Ubuntu 18.04 distro?

Or do I need to do a source build to get oorexx 5 working in these environments?

I am familiar and comfortable with using apt to install packages from the repositories, but I am not familiar with how to install a deb file.

TIA for any assistance you can provide.

Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From pjfarley3@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 10 22:38:21 2020
    On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 7:39:48 PM UTC-4, pjfarley3 wrote:
    I would like to use oorexx 5.0 Beta on one of the Win10 WSL(v1) linux distros (Debian 9 or Ubuntu 18.04).

The WSL linux instances are command-line only so no GUI installer is available.

What are the correct procedures to install the oorexx 5 Beta DEB from sourceforge on one or both of these distributions please?

Can the ubuntu 16.04 DEB file on the sourceforge site be used to install to the Debian 9 distro as well as the Ubuntu 18.04 distro?

Or do I need to do a source build to get oorexx 5 working in these environments?

I am familiar and comfortable with using apt to install packages from the repositories, but I am not familiar with how to install a deb file.

TIA for any assistance you can provide.

Peter

Replying to my own question. A little research revealed apt can be used to install a deb file with:

sudo apt install <path-to-deb>/debfile.deb

Both WSL instances seemed to install it without a problem, but I have done only very minimal testing in either one so far.

Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)