• anyone running a GLASS website?

From polymorph self@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 31 12:26:38 2017
    anyone?

hows scalability once get past 1 machine?

or is it all about the 1 big box?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From james.foster@gemtalksystems.com@21:1/5 to polymorph self on Sat Dec 2 18:00:16 2017
    On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 12:26:40 PM UTC-7, polymorph self wrote:
    anyone?

The largest distributed system I know of is over 1,000 machines, with over 10,000 sessions (virtual machines).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to james....@gemtalksystems.com on Wed Dec 6 12:08:49 2017
    On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 9:00:18 PM UTC-5, james....@gemtalksystems.com wrote:
    anyone?

The largest distributed system I know of is over 1,000 machines, with over 10,000 sessions (virtual machines).

cool.
    Are there any financial or e-commerce apps live I can look at?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to james....@gemtalksystems.com on Wed Dec 6 12:10:15 2017
    On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 9:00:18 PM UTC-5, james....@gemtalksystems.com wrote:
    anyone?

10,000 users on at any given time?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From james.foster@gemtalksystems.com@21:1/5 to polymorph self on Thu Dec 14 17:42:54 2017
    On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 12:10:17 PM UTC-8, polymorph self wrote:
    anyone?

Each virtual machine runs one Smalltalk session. If you are running a client/server application with a rich (fat) client application then yes, each session is a user. If you are running a web application then each session can handle a single concurrent
    HTTP request and the number of users depends on how frequently they send requests and how long each one takes to handle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to james....@gemtalksystems.com on Sat Dec 23 04:29:36 2017
    On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 8:42:56 PM UTC-5, james....@gemtalksystems.com wrote:
    anyone?

Each virtual machine runs one Smalltalk session. If you are running a client/server application with a rich (fat) client application then yes, each session is a user. If you are running a web application then each session can handle a single concurrent
    HTTP request and the number of users depends on how frequently they send requests and how long each one takes to handle.

oh interesting

so each smalltalk is like an appserver

connecting to a gemstone database server?

can the gemstone db be on a cluster ?
    can it intercommunicate and scal on N boxes?

any example sites?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to james....@gemtalksystems.com on Sat Dec 23 05:50:30 2017
    On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 8:42:56 PM UTC-5, james....@gemtalksystems.com wrote:
    anyone?

10k vms? wow

wouldnt it be less rsources to just run smalltalk on the X amount of real boxes and forget all the virtualization overhead at that point?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Foster@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 23 18:42:18 2018
    You misunderstood the meaning of "virtual machine." In Smalltalk we refer to the executable that runs Smalltalk code as a virtual machine, so this is 10k instances of a Smalltalk process. So, yes, they just run Smalltalk on hundreds of real boxes (or
    virtualized boxes).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From James Foster@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 23 18:47:03 2018
    Yes, each GemStone Smalltalk executable is like an app server, with a direct view to the shared database. A GemStone Smalltalk executable can be on the same host or a different host, but still see the same shared database. The intercommunication and
    scaling onto N boxes is built-in to the GemStone functionality.

Off topic:

You ask a lot of questions. Would you be willing to give us a name and tell us a bit about yourself and your Smalltalk background? Are you particularly interested in Smalltalk or are you this active in other groups? Under the circumstances it is easy to
    wonder if you are trolling.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to James Foster on Wed Feb 7 13:12:53 2018
    On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 9:47:05 PM UTC-5, James Foster wrote:
    Yes, each GemStone Smalltalk executable is like an app server, with a direct view to the shared database. A GemStone Smalltalk executable can be on the same host or a different host, but still see the same shared database. The intercommunication and

Off topic:

You ask a lot of questions. Would you be willing to give us a name and tell us a bit about yourself and your Smalltalk background? Are you particularly interested in Smalltalk or are you this active in other groups? Under the circumstances it is easy
    to wonder if you are trolling.

I have 20 years doing linux and apps based on linux mostly LAMP.
    I want to learn website development and advanced gui development over html.
    I have seen massive scalability problems working with myspace and direct TV and am really not impressed with a lot of oracle java and diet java software I see.
    glass looks quite impressive.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to James Foster on Wed May 23 03:11:43 2018
    On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 9:42:20 PM UTC-5, James Foster wrote:
    You misunderstood the meaning of "virtual machine." In Smalltalk we refer to the executable that runs Smalltalk code as a virtual machine, so this is 10k instances of a Smalltalk process. So, yes, they just run Smalltalk on hundreds of real boxes (or
    virtualized boxes).

ohwow ok...interesting....I learn something every day...

I have heard smalltalk is more pleasing to develop in....as well....so is both the client and creator happy in this case?
    I can only dream of developing something cool in a language I enjoy...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From polymorph self@21:1/5 to James Foster on Wed May 23 03:15:48 2018
    On Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 9:47:05 PM UTC-5, James Foster wrote:

Off topic:

You ask a lot of questions. Would you be willing to give us a name and tell us a bit about yourself and your Smalltalk background? Are you particularly interested in Smalltalk or are you this active in other groups? Under the circumstances it is easy
    to wonder if you are trolling.

I never Troll.
    I am new to smalltalk...but have noticed aidaweb and seaside....
    I have pharo installed on my unix box at home and have done the included tutorial and have started with the first 3 videos of the pharo mooc...
    I have 20 years as a linux engineer and have admired common lisp haskell racket chicken scheme forth and more lately gnoga.com/ada and swi prolog web...I some what vaccilate between these languages and have not gotten deep enough into 1 to be able to
    produce a working site...
    I would prefer not to share a name....
    I am not a troll...I run freebsd at home with icewm and run pharo 6.1 on a windows gaming box....I got freebsd ticketing system to put pharo on a list of languages to upgrade in thier ports but no one is assigned to it so far...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05