• Creating a maze game

From Steve@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 14 20:38:19 2016
    I would like to create a game for some grandsons: Something that would include typical maze elements (walls, barriers, traps, jumping platforms, etc) and would allow them to enter in "code" to create or modify some of the elements.

It would be hosted on a Windows 7+ platform (platform-agnostic would be better for me) and would be coded in Smalltalk, a lisp-family language (CL, Scheme, Racket, Arc, Logo, etc) and/or JavaScript. I have been learning CL and Scheme, know a bit of Arc
    and Logo and a bit more of JavaScript.

While I have been a medical information systems programmer for most of my career, it has been focused on CRUD (create/retrieve/update/delete) applications and interfacing (HL7 and proprietary). I have virtually no experience with GUI and audio
    applications.

Here are some questions that have occurred to me:
    1. Which languages would be best?
    2. Which toolkits would help? OpenGL?
    3. Can this be done on a browser?
    4. How does one control scrolling in different directions? Do you create the screen in memory and then instruct the system to scroll in the direction of the newly created portion?
    5. Could you interface with one of the available free game engines?

Would it be possible during game play to accept code typed in by the player and execute it?

Obviously this would not have to be world-class. Just something a 10 and 12 year old might like and perhaps from which they could learn how to do some elementary coding.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks, Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)