• XSIS-The Analyst

From sam.griffith@interactivewebsystems.@21:1/5 to Phil Slade on Tue Jan 3 12:11:03 2017
    Did you ever get anyone who took you up on trying to take one of those old versions and get it running on Squeak again? The one for Objectworks 2.5 would be the easiest to get running again as it was closest to Squeaks version of Smalltalk.

Thanks,

Sam Griffith

On Friday, April 15, 2005 at 1:33:25 AM UTC-5, Phil Slade wrote:
    Interesting -- I have three versions of Analyst (+Assistant and SpellChecker) gathering dust. The first two are for Macs (ObjectWorks Smalltalk 2.5 + Analyst 3.2 Developer Environment; Analyst RT 4.1
    RunTime) and the third one is for Windows 3.xx (Analyst 5.0 RT).

I wonder what a programmer could do with this, up-to-date programming
    tools and a modern Mac? XSIS ceased all development and support about
    10 years ago.

On 2005-01-18 15:55:49 -0600, davide.grandi@mclink.it (Davide Grandi) said:

BR <brodriguez@comcast.net> wrote:

Well one and three would be nice, considering that the most information
    out their is "There's this Smalltalk software called 'The Analyst',
    written by Xerox XSIS, and it's (was?) used by the CIA". And that's it.
    Two would most likely be stretching it.
    From a cloud of electronic dust : (traced back to a copy of Xerox 1186 folder "kermit-ed" to a VAX 11-780 and then to a Mac II, backupped to
    800k floppies and then transfered to the chain of macs im my homes : Mac Plus, LC, LCIII, 230, 2300, 9600 and now a G4 ..)
    ---
    T2461 INTRODUCTION

The Analyst-85 is a development activity aimed at organizing and enhancing the capabilities of analysts through the use of a flexible, computer-based personal workstation. The features of the current
    Analyst-85 system have evolved significantly from earlier versions, and many new features have been added.
    The Analyst-85 system permits you to view and easily manipulate many forms of data such as text, pictures, and graphics. These data can
    be created at the workstation itself or obtained electronically from separate databases. The system also permits the remote operation of applications programs on mainframe computers, with the results being presented in such a way that they can be readily manipulated and
    integrated into other activities on the display.
    The Analyst-85 system is especially designed to be easily used
    by individuals who have no familiarity with computers. The system is dependable, and it is essentially impossible for you to work yourself
    into a corner. Thus, the easiest way to learn the Analyst-85 software is
    by actively using it! For a short beginning document that introduces you
    to its basic software features, read The Analyst-85 Primer.
    Sections I and II of this document repeat much of the basic material contained in The Analyst-85 Primer. However, Section III
    details all the functions and menus of all the analytical tools that are providedУЗand with this information you can explore every system capability. The document material has, in general, been arranged in
    order of the skill necessary to use each feature successfully. By the
    time you get to the point of using that feature, you will have developed these skills. An on-line Help aid, and this Reference Manual, are also available in text form on the display.
    Every effort has been made to make this document as accurate and informative as possible, but activities for the Analyst-85 system are dynamic and changing. Consequently, there is no way to be completely up-to-date. The information contained in this document is based on the
    best information at Vista Laboratory on the date of publication and may
    not correspond exactly to the Analyst-85 configuration which you use. However, it should make no difference in your learning how to use the system quickly and efficiently with this documentation.
    ---
    In 1986 I was a student at the Milan Politechnic Artificial Intelligence Project and there was a cooperation effort with the local Xerox
    subsidiary (hey Roberto Ghislanzoni ! are you still around ?) so we took
    a Xerox Lisp machine (an 1186 model), we literally stuffed up an A3
    sized memory card with ... 4 Megabytes and configured the machine to run Smalltalk (DV6, Analyst andd the Humble expert system) for a demo room.

So we played a little with Analyst and Humble.

I remember that some piece of Smalltalk source run also on the very
    first edition of Smalltalk for PC and Mac (the spreadsheet, i.e.), but suddenly The Analyst disappeared ...

Best regards,

Davide Grandi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)