• Vantage vs. Lutron

From The Electrician@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 21 07:38:45 2018
    I know this is an old thread but I stumbled on here because I have installed and/or serviced both companies' systems for over a decade and have been around long enough to work with the current Generations: For Vantage, it used to be the Qlink system and
    later the Infusion system. For Lutron, they had the whole home Interactive which was followed by Illuminations, which was followed by Homeworks QS and of course they had Radio Ra as their DIY/lower end system which was replaced by the much more powerful
    Radio Ra2 and now they have Caseta, RA2 select and a whole bunch of other mini-systems.

The only systems I haven't worked with are the original Vantage Vision and the original Homeworks because well, they're really really old and I couldn't even run the software or find parts so he best thing there is to get a new upgrade. Anyway, I hope if
    another homeowner stumbles on this thread, I can uh, shed some light on the topic.

First a little history. It used to be that Lighting Automation was VERY expensive. Like unbelievably expensive and only those with 4 million dollar houses could afford them. They were also very clunky and essentially just let you put in some scenes,
    all via wired control wires and local dimming. Soon, installers and decorators started hiding the dimmers to have a "clean" look so centralized panel based systems became the status symbol for the very rich.

There were only 3 companies that did this - Lutron in PA, Lite-Touch in UT, and Vantage that was also in UT. Lutron was the big name because well, they invented the dimmer and much like with IBM, nobody ever got fired by installing Lutron's products.
    Lite-Touch to me seemed a little outdated and Vantage's products seemed like a much better version of Lite-Touch.

I'm not going to lie - I loved Vantage. They were small, very scrappy, enthusiastic, and it was easy to have a relationship with their support, engineers, and sales and customer support people. I also loved their panel systems over Lutron because it was
    modular and the addressing was far easier than Lutron's then antiquated dip switch addressing. To this day you have to manually set the addresses on RPMs and such with Lutron.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Lutron too but they seemed more like the jocks because they had a much bigger budget, invite installers for free training, buy meals, give away screw drivers, and more importantly, their products were very good. Their
    wireless systems in particular were always lightyears better than anybody else in my opinion, even Vantage.

So, my position to customers was that if it was a retrofit, Lutron was the way to go and if it was a centralized system, Vantage was not going to take a 2nd seat to no-one and even though they didn't have as many color options or the elegance of Lutron,
    they would be a great choice and we'd highly recommend them.

Around this time, whole home automation also began to get popular and all these fancy houses had to have their Crestron, Control 4, Savant, ELAN, etc. etc. systems and Vantage who started in lighting started pivoting more towards that market by offering
    AV products, touch screens and the above mentioned companies started pivoting towards lighting. Lutron on the other hand stuck with lighting which also included shades (sun is a light after all) and was happy to just be the lighting and have other
    systems link into it.

Once the iPhone came out, it was a complete game changer. Everybody wanted apps and more and more demand for lighting automation was there so both companies updated their systems and Vantage brought out its beautiful Infusion system and soon Lutron came
    out with their clear connect wireless systems and Homeworks QS and Radio Ra2 came out.

Both had apps but Lutron's was far more user friendly in my opinion because it would just take the existing house and put it on the app. No fuss. Vantage on the other hand was really into AV by now so the installer had to custom design it and it was not
    very intuitive. Maybe for AV guys who work with Crestron type systems it made sense, but to me, it was not fun.

To make matters worse, once things moved towards cloud based, Lutron shined with their new DIY Caseta system and then seamlessly added cloud to their existing dealer systems (with just a connect bridge) and as far as I know, Vantage still doesn't have
    that.

A couple other "game changing moments" also happened: LED lights became popular and the norm and SAVANT bought Lite-Touch and ended Lite-Touch systems. Also, the large French company Legrand bought Vantage. I'll come back to the latter in a bit.

LED light dimming turned out to be extremely difficult. The way a lot of smart dimmers and dimming modules worked, they put out some voltage to the load. There are engineering reasons for that which I am not fully aware of but I do know that there was a
    minimum load requirement and with LED's that wasn't met so all kinds of things were going wrong with all 3 systems with LED lights initially.

Lights would flicker, lights would not go off, etc. Surprisingly, the vantage and Lutron power modules handled LEDs pretty well, but the in wall dimmers from Lutron didn't fare so well so both companies completely redid their dimmers - Vantage has a new
    standing dimming module that is great and all of Lutron's dimmers now are CL rated or you can get ELV dimmers.

As such, to answer Mike's question from 5 years ago (which would mean he has the older dimming modules and this wouldn't apply lol), you really can't go wrong with either system if your concern is LED lighting. They've all figured it out and I've used
    both systems just fine with LEDs.

The biggest issue I see now is that centralized systems are a ticking timebomb. Sooner or later, that processor or (master controller as Vantage calls it), will go out. IF you're lucky that the company is still around, AND if you're lucky that there is
    a dealer in your area, AND you're lucky that they service or have the part available, it's only a few thousand dollars you'll spend. Typically you're fine for the first 5 years but I've seen systems fail even after 3 years.

After seeing how Savant treated Lite-Touch, and Legrand bought Vantage, I was worried about what was coming down the line. All of a sudden, the sales and tech support wasn't as friendly and down to earth as they used to be. All of a sudden, buildings
    where we would send things to got changed...Then announcement after announcement about upcoming products to match other Legrand products and it seemed Vantage really wanted to go after the full home automation market than lighting.

For me, I don't do AV so I was in a tough spot because builders usually have their electrical guy and their AV guy. It used to be electrical guys also do lighting and only lighting and the AV guy does the rest and ties in.

I'm biased so i think lighting and electrical should be done by the electrical guy because we understand lighting loads, and it's better to have the same guy programming the house doing the high voltage stuff to catch issues and have one person to blame
    when things go wrong. Not to mention most service calls in the future have an electrical source that neither an AV guy nor a typical electrician can touch. Now that it's all tied together, vantage really seemed to look at electricians as second class
    dealers.

When you're buying a dealer installed system, having a good dealer is very important because dealers come and go all the time and some focus more on new systems while others on repairs and a homeowner can end up with a bad dealer who rather than wanting
    to fix something, will sell them a new system.

One question I'm always asked in a sales meeting with a potential new customer is "if you're not around, will we find other dealers to work on this" and I would always tell the customer to check out their website and see how many authorized dealers are
    in their area. With Lutron, it was super easy because they have many many dealers both AV or electrical variety. With Vantage, not so much. Mostly AV guys and kind of far away.

I won't get into too much details here because the wounds are fresh but the new sales regime at Vantage without warning terminated what they deemed as low performing dealers so there are even less dealers around. I think ultimately this will hurt their
    customers because the new dealers who sell a lot of systems weren't around for the older systems and they are going to be like horse doctors that will just tell people to get a new system.

TLDR;
    Because of this, I think the best choice right now is to go with Lutron and completely stay away from a centralized system. Lutron has many dealers, 24/7 tech support, the best apps both cloud based and local, and the best wireless and retrofit systems.
    If you go with a non-centralized system, even if they do go out of business, you're still back to regular switches on your wall.

You can always go with wall mounted power modules hidden away a bit too and those will also work if the processor goes or you need to change to another system and there are far more choices in the non-central vs. central systems.

Only get a centralized system if you can afford to spend another $10-$50,000 in 10-20 years updating your system.

And honestly, I think for most people, a Radio Ra2 system is more than what they need.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From zany%copperbeech.net@gtempaccount.c@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 17 13:15:03 2018
    Lutron’s systems are both reliable, expandable, shade and HVAC direct (they are the second largest automatic share manufacture in the world & have partnered with Honeywell). Apple, amazon, google all now partner with Lutron (along with Nest, Sonos, &
    dozens of others). Depending on your job you can get really affordable, simple to program) also,did you know they make lighting? The Finere Donw Lights are
    Awesome...How big is your project?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mfatetro@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mike on Wed Mar 13 07:12:20 2019
    On Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 7:21:00 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
    Does anyone here have enough know-how to compare Lutron Homeworks with the Vantage
    automation
    system? I'm preparing to specify a system to automate lighting, solar shades, zone heating
    system, curtains and a few other functions in a 3000 sq. foot home. I've narrowed the
    selection down to these two systems.

It's important that the various functions can be programmed using well-written software
    that is powerful and versatile. Also, the light dimmers should be of the highest quality
    to minimize buzzing, flicker and increase reliability and longevity.

Which system has the edge here? Any feedback appreciated.

Mike M.

I am a Vantage dealer and also work with Lutron Homeworks and Radio Ra on projects that are already setup. I try to give the customer whatever their preference is. Most people know Lutron because it is the best wall box dimmer in the business. But
    lighting systems are a different animal. With 36V bus on keypads we do every keypad on one or two main runs. The fact that modules and computers plug in, an educated customer could easily install a replacement part if needed. Modules are made for
    standard, electronic low voltages and fan control in the same plug in design. Lutron requires additional devices mounted out side the main panel. Vantage now has 12 loads on 4 feeds per module. This is important because of the limitations with arc-fault
    breakers now required. They have several lines of keypads that fit any style home. Programming is very simple and Vantage provides several procedure designs to assist the programmer. Both systems are reliable and well built. Lutron has engineered the
    best wall box dimmer. But they don't seem to have changed a lot with the Homeworks line. Vantage has one line and one focus.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Electrician@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 20 12:01:12 2019
    I was talking to another former Vantage installer the other day and he too expressed how frustrating Vantage has been to deal with since Legrand took over. They show no respect to long-time dealers who helped build their brand and just cut them off if
    their sales were not high enough. This is quite scary for a proprietary system where the homeowner depends on having access to service oriented dealers. I hope "Right to Repair" laws include these systems and give independent shops access to parts and
    the software.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lightideas7@gmail.com@21:1/5 to light...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 1 19:10:34 2019
    On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 7:09:09 PM UTC-7, light...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 4:21:00 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
    Does anyone here have enough know-how to compare Lutron Homeworks with the Vantage
    automation
    system? I'm preparing to specify a system to automate lighting, solar shades, zone heating
    system, curtains and a few other functions in a 3000 sq. foot home. I've narrowed the

It's important that the various functions can be programmed using well-written software
    that is powerful and versatile. Also, the light dimmers should be of the highest quality

Mike M.

By far Vantage is better than Lutron. Easier to wire, costs less and you can do much much more. Another thing if not the most important thing. Vantage is forward and reverse compatible. This means in the future you do not have to rip out parts to
    update the system, like with Lutron etc. Also I've gone back to projects that were 20 years old and updated them to work with all the new Vantage options, with ease, by changing the processor. There is also an APP called softwareforhomecontrol.com I use
    this app a lot I can design a touch-screen (IPAD or IPHONE) to do anything. I have been a Vantage dealer for 20+ years. I've been a Lutron, Crestron and LiteTouch dealer in the past. I know the in and outs of most of the systems. I'm glad to talk to you
    if you'd like. I do not want to put my phone number on this site.

Good Luck

Roger R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From lightideas7@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mike on Mon Jul 1 19:09:07 2019
    On Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 4:21:00 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
    automation

Mike M.

By far Vantage is better than Lutron. Easier to wire, costs less and you can do much much more. Another thing if not the most important thing. Vantage is forward and reverse compatible. This means in the future you do not have to rip out parts to update
    the system, like with Lutron etc. Also I've gone back to projects that were 20 years old and updated them to work with all the new Vantage options, with ease, by changing the processor. There is also an APP called softwareforhomecontrol.com I use this
    app a lot I can design a touch-screen (IPAD or IPHONE) to do anything. I have been a Vantage dealer for 20+ years. I've been a Lutron, Crestron and LiteTouch dealer in the past. I know the in and outs of most of the systems. I'm glad to talk to you if
    you'd like. I do not want to put my phone number on this site.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Electrician@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 25 09:59:08 2020
    Lutron's new QSX system and DIN rail modules and their new RF pro dimmer line blow anything Vantage has now out of the water. Vantage had their chance to do great things but they got greedy when they got rid of great dealers.

I'd be really surprised if Vantage is around in 5-10 years or if they are, you can find any dealers in their area. Just go on their website and see who can service your system: Chances are it's only a half dozen AV companies who will try to sell you a
    new system.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Arie M.@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 3 14:02:00 2022
    Well, I'm officially done with Vantage. I still maintained a few older system but the last system I installed as a dealer that had the newest 12 load dimming modules has started to have many issues with the modules failing to communicate with the system
    or they communicate and just don't respond to keypad requests and since I am no longer a Vantage dealer and can't buy parts or get support and the company not selling direct to customers, I just gave up on a long-term customer and now they have to take
    their chance with the few dealers who are left and unfamiliar with their house. They were quite upset because they wanted to keep me to work on their house but without Vantage's support and parts, my hands were tied. Guess which system that customer
    will go with when they build their new house? Lutron.

I'll also be converting the older Vantage Qlink system for another customer who loses the programming to the system after a power outage (we have it on a UPS but that only lasts about an hour), and also having trouble with LED lights to a Lutron
    Homeworks QSX system as well. From what I've been told from a Vantage dealer that I spoke with, they no longer repair those old Qlink processors anyway and regardless, they'd need to update their old Vantage dimming modules to the newer ones which as
    mentioned above don't seem to last nearly as long as the old ones. It'd cost a little more on labor but parts will come out about the same and the keypads will have a more modern look than the ugly "soft touch" look from the 70's.

Once they found out about Lutron's app and how cloud capabilities and remote access are built into the processor, they were hooked. Vantage doesn't have anything like that and it's 2022 going on 2023. With Lutron's QSX and Radio Ra3, I can troubleshoot
    their system 24/7 whether I'm in my office with the full software or using the Lutron App on my phone. And don't forget about shades. Lutron has the best shades in the world. Vantage had a dinky Somfy motor translator and I guess now they do Qmotion. Ask
    any shade dealer which the best brand is...the answer will not surprise you!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zach Metzinger@21:1/5 to Arie M. on Wed Dec 28 21:33:54 2022
    On 12/3/22 16:02, Arie M. wrote:
    And don't forget about shades. Lutron has the best shades in the world. Vantage had a dinky Somfy motor translator and I guess now they do Qmotion. Ask any shade dealer which the best brand is...the answer will not surprise you!

"You can believe me, I'm not a shill for Lutron at all!"

--- Zach

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05