• Compiling GNU Plot in Visual C++

From Citizen Smith@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 27 06:23:44 2019
    Hi

I am learing to program in C++ and looking for a charting package to compile with my projects. I can Compile GNU Plot using the Makefile but wish to include the source files in my project then compile in Visual C++ with my own program calling GNU Plot
    from within a common executable file. I have spent an awful lot of time trying to decipher the Makefile/CMAKE but this is proving to be a huge distraction as I just want to bring GNU Plot within my project.

If anybody has successfully set up a GNU Plot as "project" in Visual Studio could you please tell me how you did it without getting hundreds of errors/warnings? I suspect the file hierarchy/paths is giving me problems and assignment of various libraries
    also but I know they are on my machine because GNU Plot compiles with the Makefile.

Any help would be grately appreciated!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Hans-Bernhard_Br=c3=b6ker@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 28 18:34:47 2019
    Am 27.11.2019 um 15:23 schrieb Citizen Smith:

I am learing to program in C++ and looking for a charting package to
    compile with my projects. I can Compile GNU Plot using the Makefile
    but wish to include the source files in my project then compile in
    Visual C++ with my own program calling GNU Plot from within a common executable file.

You really don't want to do that. Particularly not while you're still
    learning the programming language.

gnuplot is already equipped to be run from the outside, by sending it
    commands from another program. You don't need to include it into your
    own program; you don't even have to compile gnuplot yourself, as this
    works just fine with the ready-made executables.

The key is the concept of a "pipe", which you use to send commands from
    your own program to gnuplot. Look up "popen" in your compiler's library documentation.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Citizen Smith@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 6 11:36:52 2019
    On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 5:34:53 PM UTC, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:

I am learing to program in C++ and looking for a charting package to compile with my projects. I can Compile GNU Plot using the Makefile
    Visual C++ with my own program calling GNU Plot from within a common executable file.

You really don't want to do that. Particularly not while you're still learning the programming language.

gnuplot is already equipped to be run from the outside, by sending it commands from another program. You don't need to include it into your

your own program to gnuplot. Look up "popen" in your compiler's library documentation.

OK Hans-Bernhard

I appreciate what you are saying but it would be nice to get sorted for the long term. Considering how many people start out on Visual Studio, it would help an awful lot of people out if a GNUPlot Solution file were available. Could this be provided in
    future?

I appreciate your reply - thanks a lot!

Cheers, Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Citizen Smith@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 6 11:30:45 2019
    On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 5:34:53 PM UTC, Hans-Bernhard Bröker wrote:

I am learing to program in C++ and looking for a charting package to compile with my projects. I can Compile GNU Plot using the Makefile

You really don't want to do that. Particularly not while you're still learning the programming language.

gnuplot is already equipped to be run from the outside, by sending it commands from another program. You don't need to include it into your

OK thanks Hans - I appreciate your reply!

Cheers, Paul

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05