• confirm closing of unsaved images missing

    From JTJersey@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 5 18:22:29 2016
    I've been using GIMP for several years in my various Linux systems. I'm currently running Mint Linux 18 with GIMP v.2.8.16 installed. This
    version of GIMP no longer has an option to disable "save images when
    closing." I always un-check this option as it's a real nuisance when I'm closing multiple image windows that I'm done with. Have they moved the
    option? It was always in Edit/Preferences/Environment between Image
    Thumbnails and Document History options. I can't find it anywhere and a
    web search has turned up nothing about it. Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From rich@21:1/5 to JTJersey on Wed Jul 6 09:16:26 2016
    On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 18:22:29 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    I've been using GIMP for several years in my various Linux systems. I'm currently running Mint Linux 18 with GIMP v.2.8.16 installed. This
    version of GIMP no longer has an option to disable "save images when closing." I always un-check this option as it's a real nuisance when
    I'm closing multiple image windows that I'm done with. Have they moved
    the option? It was always in Edit/Preferences/Environment between Image Thumbnails and Document History options. I can't find it anywhere and a
    web search has turned up nothing about it. Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

    That came in with Gimp 2.8.14 (I think) AFAIK no plans to revert to the
    former option. All about ensuring the casual user does not do anything
    stupid.

    As with everything Gimp, a work-around is the 'Saver' plugin

    http://www.shallowsky.com/software/gimp-save/

    Which will save/export an edited image and mark it as clean so it can be
    closed without the reminder dialog. It means you are possibly exporting
    an image twice. I have it assigned to a hot-key ( Y ) and that works
    reasonably well for me.


    --
    rich

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JTJersey@21:1/5 to rich on Wed Jul 6 21:44:23 2016
    On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 09:16:26 +0000, rich wrote:

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 18:22:29 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    I've been using GIMP for several years in my various Linux systems.
    I'm currently running Mint Linux 18 with GIMP v.2.8.16 installed. This
    version of GIMP no longer has an option to disable "save images when
    closing." I always un-check this option as it's a real nuisance when
    I'm closing multiple image windows that I'm done with. Have they moved
    the option? It was always in Edit/Preferences/Environment between
    Image Thumbnails and Document History options. I can't find it
    anywhere and a web search has turned up nothing about it. Suggestions
    are appreciated.
    Thanks.

    That came in with Gimp 2.8.14 (I think) AFAIK no plans to revert to the former option. All about ensuring the casual user does not do anything stupid.

    As with everything Gimp, a work-around is the 'Saver' plugin

    http://www.shallowsky.com/software/gimp-save/

    Which will save/export an edited image and mark it as clean so it can be closed without the reminder dialog. It means you are possibly exporting
    an image twice. I have it assigned to a hot-key ( Y ) and that works reasonably well for me.

    Thanks. I appreciate the info. Looks like that's my only option at the moment. The GIMP development team doesn't seem to be too inclined to
    listen to user complaints so I guess this will have to do until they
    change it back, if ever.

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From William Unruh@21:1/5 to JTJersey on Wed Jul 6 22:06:05 2016
    On 2016-07-06, JTJersey <jt3@aplace.com> wrote:
    On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 09:16:26 +0000, rich wrote:

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 18:22:29 +0000, JTJersey wrote:

    I've been using GIMP for several years in my various Linux systems.
    I'm currently running Mint Linux 18 with GIMP v.2.8.16 installed. This
    version of GIMP no longer has an option to disable "save images when
    closing." I always un-check this option as it's a real nuisance when
    I'm closing multiple image windows that I'm done with. Have they moved
    the option? It was always in Edit/Preferences/Environment between
    Image Thumbnails and Document History options. I can't find it
    anywhere and a web search has turned up nothing about it. Suggestions
    are appreciated.
    Thanks.

    That came in with Gimp 2.8.14 (I think) AFAIK no plans to revert to the
    former option. All about ensuring the casual user does not do anything
    stupid.

    As with everything Gimp, a work-around is the 'Saver' plugin

    http://www.shallowsky.com/software/gimp-save/

    Which will save/export an edited image and mark it as clean so it can be
    closed without the reminder dialog. It means you are possibly exporting
    an image twice. I have it assigned to a hot-key ( Y ) and that works
    reasonably well for me.

    Thanks. I appreciate the info. Looks like that's my only option at the moment. The GIMP development team doesn't seem to be too inclined to
    listen to user complaints so I guess this will have to do until they
    change it back, if ever.

    Just because they do not listen to you does not mean that they do not
    listen to user complaints. It is the arrogance that your concerns should
    be all that matters that would tend to put them right off, and even if
    they had thought about changing back would make sure they did not.
    Perhaps if you approached it by trying to find out why they removed that
    option it might get you further.
    Lets say 10000 users lost a days work by the system not saving, and one,
    you, lost 5 seconds by having to erase the file that got
    saved. Which do you think they should concentrate on? (Yes, those
    numbers are made up, but perhaps is a clue to their reasoning. Note that
    I have no clue why they changed, so that reason may be completely bogus,
    but indicates that perhaps their purpose was not primarily to piss you
    off)
    )

    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)