• Help! NEF files too dark when exported to JPG.

From jkeeneybleeg@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 6 01:36:40 2019
    I'm an artist (and a photo editing newbie) trying to take and edit high-res photos of my art for printing. I'm using a Nikon DLSR and shooting NEF files. When I edit my photos in Gimp and then export the files to JPG, the resulting thumbnail images
    appear way too dark onscreen. I've tried adjusting my levels in Gimp but that ends up distorting other colors in the image and it's difficult to make the image look accurate onscreen when I make other color adjustments. If someone can tell me in layman's
    terms what I am doing wrong, I would SO appreciate the help. Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jkeeneybleeg@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 6 10:02:04 2019
    It seems to be just the thumbnails but this has me spooked that I’ve done something wrong in the editing process. My original files are pretty colorful -- not pale but not dark either. If it truly doesn’t matter that the thumbnails are dark, that’s
    helpful to know — just want to make sure it’s not an indicator of a problem. Thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Unruh@21:1/5 to jkeeneybleeg@gmail.com on Wed Mar 6 17:36:45 2019
    On 2019-03-06, jkeeneybleeg@gmail.com <jkeeneybleeg@gmail.com> wrote:
    I'm an artist (and a photo editing newbie) trying to take and edit high-res photos of my art for printing. I'm using a Nikon DLSR and shooting NEF files. When I edit my photos in Gimp and then export the files to JPG, the resulting thumbnail images
    appear way too dark onscreen. I've tried adjusting my levels in Gimp but that ends up distorting other colors in the image and it's difficult to make the image look accurate onscreen when I make other color adjustments. If someone can tell me in layman's
    terms what I am doing wrong, I would SO appreciate the help. Thanks.

Is it just the thumbnails that are too dark, of is it full size pictures
    as well. How dark are the originals (Remember that thumbnails throw away
    almost all the information in the original, so if on average the
    original is dark, the thumbnail will be dark, even if the original has
    some glorious light in it. Just a guess.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05