• how to attribute authorship of pangrams?

From Sam Riseman@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 4 06:53:29 2023
    Hello comp.fonts!

I have started a new comic inspired by pangrams. It all started as a lark when I illustrated "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." I fell in love with the quirky, surreal, comical sentences and have been illustrating them since.

My first non-family subscriber is a calligrapher and asked my permission to re-use "Fix problem quickly with galvanized jets." I said, "Sure! Have at it! I just found it on the interwebs!". And then it hit me that I never sought permission for MY use of
    the pangram.

So, how do I credit authors when I can't find authorship? Should I just not use them? Is there anyone on this list who might know something about the authors of these gems? I see David Lemon referenced as the author of many, but do not know how to reach
    out to him.

Best wishes to all, to be honest I'm not even sure if this group is read anymore, but here's hoping.

Sam

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David E. Ross@21:1/5 to Sam Riseman on Tue Jul 4 07:56:16 2023
    On 7/4/2023 6:53 AM, Sam Riseman wrote:
    Hello comp.fonts!

I have started a new comic inspired by pangrams. It all started as a lark when I illustrated "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." I fell in love with the quirky, surreal, comical sentences and have been illustrating them since.

My first non-family subscriber is a calligrapher and asked my permission to re-use "Fix problem quickly with galvanized jets." I said, "Sure! Have at it! I just found it on the interwebs!". And then it hit me that I never sought permission for MY use
    of the pangram.

So, how do I credit authors when I can't find authorship? Should I just not use them? Is there anyone on this list who might know something about the authors of these gems? I see David Lemon referenced as the author of many, but do not know how to
    reach out to him.

Best wishes to all, to be honest I'm not even sure if this group is read anymore, but here's hoping.

Sam

According to Wikipedia, "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." was
    first used in 1885. If it was ever copyrighted, the copyright has long expired.

The Wikipedia article at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangram> gives
    quite a number of pangrams in several languages without attribution.
    However, it also references a number of publications that either
    describe pangrams or contain collections of them. You might try looking
    at some of those sources to see how they handle your question.

--
    David E. Ross
    <http://www.rossde.com/>

For 30 years, I was a software test engineer, testing the
    software used by the U.S. military to operate its space
    satellites. The missions of most of those satellites were
    highly classified, so I had a very high security clearance.
    If I were convicted of what Donald Trump has been accused,
    I would have been sentenced to decades in prison. Thus, I
    indeed support the concept of equal treatment under the law.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sam Riseman@21:1/5 to David E. Ross on Tue Jul 4 08:01:14 2023
    On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 9:56:21 AM UTC-5, David E. Ross wrote:
    On 7/4/2023 6:53 AM, Sam Riseman wrote:
    Hello comp.fonts!

My first non-family subscriber is a calligrapher and asked my permission to re-use "Fix problem quickly with galvanized jets." I said, "Sure! Have at it! I just found it on the interwebs!". And then it hit me that I never sought permission for MY use
    of the pangram.

So, how do I credit authors when I can't find authorship? Should I just not use them? Is there anyone on this list who might know something about the authors of these gems? I see David Lemon referenced as the author of many, but do not know how to
    reach out to him.

Sam

According to Wikipedia, "The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog." was first used in 1885. If it was ever copyrighted, the copyright has long expired.

The Wikipedia article at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangram> gives
    quite a number of pangrams in several languages without attribution. However, it also references a number of publications that either
    describe pangrams or contain collections of them. You might try looking
    at some of those sources to see how they handle your question.

--
    David E. Ross
    <http://www.rossde.com/>

For 30 years, I was a software test engineer, testing the
    software used by the U.S. military to operate its space
    satellites. The missions of most of those satellites were
    highly classified, so I had a very high security clearance.
    If I were convicted of what Donald Trump has been accused,
    I would have been sentenced to decades in prison. Thus, I
    indeed support the concept of equal treatment under the law.

Thanks very kindly for your response! I would imagine many would have evolved long ago, but I don't want to step on toes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05