• Virtual II

From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 19 12:44:41 2021
    I've been using Virtual II on my Mac desktop, and now laptop, computers for years. Last night playing Akalabeth I discovered s feature that I'm sure has been there forever but I never noticed before.

In the menu bar across the top one of the drop downs is titled "Machine". If you click on that the first heading is "Make Machine Snapshot". I decided to go ahead and do that and discovered that is a convenient way to be able to save a game in progress
    when the game itself doesn't have the ability to do a save game.

Just gores to show that I either should read the docs or at least check out all the feature of the emulator.

Magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From peter.ferrie@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 20 11:04:53 2021
    It's great except if the disk ever gets written. Restoring save-states won't restore the disk contents, so anything that was written before you saved will be read back (instead of what you might want read) if you reload.
    We had a lot of trouble in Nox Archaist with people using save-states before combat instead of saving. They'd load the save-state, the disk would get read for stats or whatever, and then the game-state was broken.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to peter....@gmail.com on Sun Aug 22 15:34:57 2021
    On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 1:04:54 PM UTC-5, peter....@gmail.com wrote:
    It's great except if the disk ever gets written. Restoring save-states won't restore the disk contents, so anything that was written before you saved will be read back (instead of what you might want read) if you reload.
    We had a lot of trouble in Nox Archaist with people using save-states before combat instead of saving. They'd load the save-state, the disk would get read for stats or whatever, and then the game-state was broken.

I only plan on using the save state of Virtual II on games like Akalabeth and others that don't have a save function. So, for example, with Nox Archaist I do use the save game function in the game. Games like Nox Archaist that have a save game function
    are a blessing, especially when you think your party can take on a much more powerful bunch of monsters and get the party wiped out.

magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05