• Sweet 16

From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 25 12:56:33 2021
    Does anyone know if Sheppy has had the chance to do any work to update Sweet 16 to work with the latest version of MACOS? I really enjoyed using that emulator on my MacBook Pro up through MACOS 10.14. Thankfully I've got a Mac Mini, one of the first ones
    from 2005, so I'm running an older version of Sweet 16 on it.

To still be able to run IIGS software on my MacBook Pro I'm running SheepShaver, running OS 9, and then running the last version of Bernie to the Rescue in it. So I'm running an emulator in an emulator. What I liked about Sweet 16 is the ability to
    change the screen size. You can't do that with Bernie.

Thanks in advance.
    Magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kent Dickey@21:1/5 to dean.phares@gmail.com on Fri Jun 25 17:04:07 2021
    In article <33f31a6e-b5ca-4992-b9e3-d3c2987a9875n@googlegroups.com>, magnusfalkirk <dean.phares@gmail.com> wrote:
    Does anyone know if Sheppy has had the chance to do any work to update
    Sweet 16 to work with the latest version of MACOS? I really enjoyed
    using that emulator on my MacBook Pro up through MACOS 10.14. Thankfully
    I've got a Mac Mini, one of the first ones from 2005, so I'm running an
    older version of Sweet 16 on it.

To still be able to run IIGS software on my MacBook Pro I'm running >SheepShaver, running OS 9, and then running the last version of Bernie
    to the Rescue in it. So I'm running an emulator in an emulator. What I
    liked about Sweet 16 is the ability to change the screen size. You can't
    do that with Bernie.

Thanks in advance.
    Magnus

You could try KEGS at http://kegs.sourceforge.net/. It runs fine on Mac OS 10.13 or later. It's got some UI annoyances.

Kent

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to Kent Dickey on Fri Jun 25 17:22:39 2021
    On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 5:04:13 PM UTC-5, Kent Dickey wrote:
    In article <33f31a6e-b5ca-4992...@googlegroups.com>,
    magnusfalkirk <dean....@gmail.com> wrote:
    Does anyone know if Sheppy has had the chance to do any work to update >Sweet 16 to work with the latest version of MACOS? I really enjoyed
    using that emulator on my MacBook Pro up through MACOS 10.14. Thankfully >I've got a Mac Mini, one of the first ones from 2005, so I'm running an >older version of Sweet 16 on it.

To still be able to run IIGS software on my MacBook Pro I'm running >SheepShaver, running OS 9, and then running the last version of Bernie
    to the Rescue in it. So I'm running an emulator in an emulator. What I >liked about Sweet 16 is the ability to change the screen size. You can't >do that with Bernie.

Thanks in advance.
    Magnus
    You could try KEGS at http://kegs.sourceforge.net/. It runs fine on Mac OS 10.13 or later. It's got some UI annoyances.

Kent

I've used both KEGS and GS Plus, the biggest UI annoyance, with both of them, is that you have to mess with the Config file to load dsk images into them. With Sweet 16 you just double click on the image file and it launches the program, or if it's
    already running it adds the disk to the program. With Bernie, in SheepShaver, running OS 9, you click on Mount in the Drive window, and select an image. It loads the image into Bernie. So that's why I'd like to know if there is a new version of Sweet 16
    coming any time soon.

Magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kent Dickey@21:1/5 to dean.phares@gmail.com on Fri Jun 25 23:25:56 2021
    In article <7a702c34-6d03-4a32-a1b3-2e44366a9be9n@googlegroups.com>, magnusfalkirk <dean.phares@gmail.com> wrote:
    Does anyone know if Sheppy has had the chance to do any work to update
    Sweet 16 to work with the latest version of MACOS? I really enjoyed
    using that emulator on my MacBook Pro up through MACOS 10.14. Thankfully
    I've got a Mac Mini, one of the first ones from 2005, so I'm running an
    older version of Sweet 16 on it.

To still be able to run IIGS software on my MacBook Pro I'm running
    SheepShaver, running OS 9, and then running the last version of Bernie
    to the Rescue in it. So I'm running an emulator in an emulator. What I
    liked about Sweet 16 is the ability to change the screen size. You can't
    do that with Bernie.

Thanks in advance.
    Magnus
    You could try KEGS at http://kegs.sourceforge.net/. It runs fine on Mac OS >> 10.13 or later. It's got some UI annoyances.

Kent

I've used both KEGS and GS Plus, the biggest UI annoyance, with both of
    them, is that you have to mess with the Config file to load dsk images
    into them. With Sweet 16 you just double click on the image file and it >launches the program, or if it's already running it adds the disk to the >program. With Bernie, in SheepShaver, running OS 9, you click on Mount
    in the Drive window, and select an image. It loads the image into
    Bernie. So that's why I'd like to know if there is a new version of
    Sweet 16 coming any time soon.

Magnus

In KEGS, you never need to touch the config file manually. You can do everything through the built-in menu system (it looks like ShrinkIt's menus) you get when you press F4. Press F4, select Disk Configuration, then select which drive (say, s6d2), and then an ShrinkIt-style file selection dialog selects the image. Pressing a letter key jumps to that position in the list. This is not as nice as double-clicking images, I'll admit.

As for making it so that double-clicking the image opens it: I don't know
    how to implement this on current Mac OS X. If someone could
    assist me with this, that would be helpful (even just pointing me to the documentation would be great). I know how this used to work 15 years ago, (special fields in Info.plist) but it's all different now.

Kent

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From I am Rob@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Fri Jun 25 22:02:09 2021
    On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 1:56:34 PM UTC-6, magnusfalkirk wrote:
    Does anyone know if Sheppy has had the chance to do any work to update Sweet 16 to work with the latest version of MACOS?

I am running the latest SWEET16 (v 3.0.3) on MacOS 10.13 with no problems.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to I am Rob on Sat Jun 26 12:14:40 2021
    On Saturday, June 26, 2021 at 12:02:10 AM UTC-5, I am Rob wrote:
    On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 1:56:34 PM UTC-6, magnusfalkirk wrote:
    Does anyone know if Sheppy has had the chance to do any work to update Sweet 16 to work with the latest version of MACOS?
    I am running the latest SWEET16 (v 3.0.3) on MacOS 10.13 with no problems.

I was able to run Sweet 16 3.0.3 up through MacOS 10.14, but when 10.15 cam out Sweet 16 no longer ran and it definitely doesn't run on 11.4.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to Kent Dickey on Sat Jun 26 12:51:01 2021
    On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 11:26:01 PM UTC-5, Kent Dickey wrote:
    In article <7a702c34-6d03-4a32...@googlegroups.com>,
    Does anyone know if Sheppy has had the chance to do any work to update >> >Sweet 16 to work with the latest version of MACOS? I really enjoyed
    using that emulator on my MacBook Pro up through MACOS 10.14. Thankfully >> >I've got a Mac Mini, one of the first ones from 2005, so I'm running an >> >older version of Sweet 16 on it.

To still be able to run IIGS software on my MacBook Pro I'm running
    SheepShaver, running OS 9, and then running the last version of Bernie >> >to the Rescue in it. So I'm running an emulator in an emulator. What I >> >liked about Sweet 16 is the ability to change the screen size. You can't >> >do that with Bernie.

Thanks in advance.
    Magnus
    You could try KEGS at http://kegs.sourceforge.net/. It runs fine on Mac OS
    10.13 or later. It's got some UI annoyances.

Kent

I've used both KEGS and GS Plus, the biggest UI annoyance, with both of >them, is that you have to mess with the Config file to load dsk images >into them. With Sweet 16 you just double click on the image file and it >launches the program, or if it's already running it adds the disk to the >program. With Bernie, in SheepShaver, running OS 9, you click on Mount
    in the Drive window, and select an image. It loads the image into
    Bernie. So that's why I'd like to know if there is a new version of
    Sweet 16 coming any time soon.

Magnus
    In KEGS, you never need to touch the config file manually. You can do everything through the built-in menu system (it looks like ShrinkIt's menus) you get when you press F4. Press F4, select Disk Configuration, then select which drive (say, s6d2), and then an ShrinkIt-style file selection dialog selects the image. Pressing a letter key jumps to that position in the list. This is not as nice as double-clicking images, I'll admit.

As for making it so that double-clicking the image opens it: I don't know how to implement this on current Mac OS X. If someone could
    assist me with this, that would be helpful (even just pointing me to the documentation would be great). I know how this used to work 15 years ago, (special fields in Info.plist) but it's all different now.

Kent

In Kegs using the menu system is still more cumbersome than just being able to double click on the disk image, at least to me. Especially if you decide you want to open another disk image. You have to go back into the config.menu and go find your image
    and add it to the config. I don't know if you've ever looked at Sweet 16, http://www.sheppyware.net/software-mac/sweet16/ , but you might take a look and see if it can give you some help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock Kegs, once you have the config.menu set the way you want it it works fine. I just find Sweet 16's way of mounting images easier.

Magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kent Dickey@21:1/5 to dean.phares@gmail.com on Sat Jun 26 20:36:00 2021
    In article <0664dcde-3b87-47a7-b214-2828b5d75540n@googlegroups.com>, magnusfalkirk <dean.phares@gmail.com> wrote:
    In Kegs using the menu system is still more cumbersome than just being
    able to double click on the disk image, at least to me. Especially if
    you decide you want to open another disk image. You have to go back into
    the config.menu and go find your image and add it to the config. I don't
    know if you've ever looked at Sweet 16, >http://www.sheppyware.net/software-mac/sweet16/ , but you might take a
    look and see if it can give you some help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock Kegs, once you have the >config.menu set the way you want it it works fine. I just find Sweet
    16's way of mounting images easier.

Magnus

I tried looking there, and I do not see the source code for Sweet16. It
    was my understanding that no source code is available. If it is, can you
    give a more precise link?

Kent

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From peter.ferrie@gmail.com@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Sun Jun 27 12:18:51 2021
    On Friday, June 25, 2021 at 12:56:34 PM UTC-7, magnusfalkirk wrote:

It's not done yet. He had some health issues that are delaying work on anything other than getting better.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 30 07:44:18 2023
    Does anybody know if Sheppy has been able to do any work to update Sweet 16? It's been a few years. just curious.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05