• delta-sigma ADC in FPGA

From Rick C@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 15 19:27:14 2020
    Usually when I ask about delta-sigma ADCs in FPGAs the comments are along the lines of "terrible idea", "can't mix analog and digital", etc. I'm very much not convinced.

I think people have a view of the ADC as being a device with very balanced specs, resolution, SNR, etc. In this application we need significantly more resolution than we do accuracy. The measurement is differential pressure across an orifice in a gas
    flow rate sensor. The conversion curve for pressure to flow rate has a square root. This makes the measurement much more sensitive to resolution at the low end.

The signal is the human breath with a very low frequency content. The fundamental is 0.5 Hz maximum with various harmonic content. Our sample rate is 200 Hz.

The analog input circuit approximates the delta-sigma model with resistors from the input and the feedback summing currents to an integrating capacitor. The capacitor voltage is compared to a Vref (very accurately 1/2 Vcco) with a differential input on
    the FPGA. The Vcco for this I/O bank is isolated from other supplies and no other signals are on this power rail.

The processing of the captured signal is a simple counter, accumulate and dump. Many texts on this design show the use of a second stage of filtering which I believe is mostly present to shape the frequency response of the CIC filter. This is not
    useful in this application.

In a post elsewhere someone commented that a boxcar filter (the accumulate and dump) is not equivalent to a CIC filter, but without explaining. I can't see the distinction other than the CIC offers configurations that the boxcar filter doesn't. But
    certainly the boxcar filter gives identical results to a configuration of CIC filter.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From navaide@21:1/5 to gnuarm.del...@gmail.com on Mon Nov 16 18:31:54 2020
    On Sunday, November 15, 2020 at 10:27:17 PM UTC-5, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
    Usually when I ask about delta-sigma ADCs in FPGAs the comments are along the lines of "terrible idea", "can't mix analog and digital", etc. I'm very much not convinced.

I think people have a view of the ADC as being a device with very balanced specs, resolution, SNR, etc. In this application we need significantly more resolution than we do accuracy. The measurement is differential pressure across an orifice in a gas
    flow rate sensor. The conversion curve for pressure to flow rate has a square root. This makes the measurement much more sensitive to resolution at the low end.

The signal is the human breath with a very low frequency content. The fundamental is 0.5 Hz maximum with various harmonic content. Our sample rate is 200 Hz.

The analog input circuit approximates the delta-sigma model with resistors from the input and the feedback summing currents to an integrating capacitor. The capacitor voltage is compared to a Vref (very accurately 1/2 Vcco) with a differential input on
    the FPGA. The Vcco for this I/O bank is isolated from other supplies and no other signals are on this power rail.

The processing of the captured signal is a simple counter, accumulate and dump. Many texts on this design show the use of a second stage of filtering which I believe is mostly present to shape the frequency response of the CIC filter. This is not
    useful in this application.

In a post elsewhere someone commented that a boxcar filter (the accumulate and dump) is not equivalent to a CIC filter, but without explaining. I can't see the distinction other than the CIC offers configurations that the boxcar filter doesn't. But
    certainly the boxcar filter gives identical results to a configuration of CIC filter.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick C@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 18 15:07:32 2020
    I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will need to be
    3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two values or
    six of a single value.

An alternative to this is to use a level shifter to provide a full 5V swing. The ratiometric 3.3V supply is no longer needed and the resistors simplify to two components of a single value. But it appears the ultimate limitation becomes the symmetry of
    the buffer switching. Imbalances in the rise/fall times or imbalances in the propagation delays will distort the impact on the integrated value on the capacitor. My clock period is 30 ns, which is not hugely larger than the timing properties of the
    buffers available in 5 volt logic.

I've found a very few parts that list symmetrical limits on the prop delays. I assume that means they will track better than other devices. It will be interesting to test these ADC.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    + Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From boB@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Wed Nov 18 20:15:15 2020
    On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 15:07:32 -0800 (PST), Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will need to be
    3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two values or
    six of a single value.

An alternative to this is to use a level shifter to provide a full 5V swing. The ratiometric 3.3V supply is no longer needed and the resistors simplify to two components of a single value. But it appears the ultimate limitation becomes the symmetry of
    the buffer switching. Imbalances in the rise/fall times or imbalances in the propagation delays will distort the impact on the integrated value on the capacitor. My clock period is 30 ns, which is not hugely larger than the timing properties of the

I've found a very few parts that list symmetrical limits on the prop delays. I assume that means they will track better than other devices. It will be interesting to test these ADC.

Will it work down to DC ya think ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick C@21:1/5 to boB on Thu Nov 19 11:44:04 2020
    On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 11:15:21 PM UTC-5, boB wrote:
    On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 15:07:32 -0800 (PST), Rick C
    <gnuarm.del...@gmail.com> wrote:

I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will need to
    be 3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two values or
    six of a single value.

That's what I'm counting on. The measurements we are making are pretty low bandwidth. One of the measurements is O2 level from a sensor that takes seconds to respond to a change in O2 levels, essentially DC. Why would you think it would not be
    sensitive to DC? We may measure the battery voltage this way as well.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From boB@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Fri Nov 20 02:01:56 2020
    On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 11:44:04 -0800 (PST), Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will need to
    be 3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two values or
    six of a single value.

An alternative to this is to use a level shifter to provide a full 5V swing. The ratiometric 3.3V supply is no longer needed and the resistors simplify to two components of a single value. But it appears the ultimate limitation becomes the symmetry
    of the buffer switching. Imbalances in the rise/fall times or imbalances in the propagation delays will distort the impact on the integrated value on the capacitor. My clock period is 30 ns, which is not hugely larger than the timing properties of the

That's what I'm counting on. The measurements we are making are pretty low bandwidth. One of the measurements is O2 level from a sensor that takes seconds to respond to a change in O2 levels, essentially DC. Why would you think it would not be

Most of the high sample rate, high bit width audio delta-sigmas don't
    do DC too well or not at all. Not sure exactly why. The might be too
    offset drifty ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick C@21:1/5 to boB on Fri Nov 20 13:52:25 2020
    On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 5:02:01 AM UTC-5, boB wrote:
    On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 11:44:04 -0800 (PST), Rick C

I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will need
    to be 3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two values
    or six of a single value.

An alternative to this is to use a level shifter to provide a full 5V swing. The ratiometric 3.3V supply is no longer needed and the resistors simplify to two components of a single value. But it appears the ultimate limitation becomes the symmetry
    of the buffer switching. Imbalances in the rise/fall times or imbalances in the propagation delays will distort the impact on the integrated value on the capacitor. My clock period is 30 ns, which is not hugely larger than the timing properties of the

offset drifty ?

I don't know much of how they are internally constructed. The circuit I'm using forms the sum of the input and feedback with two resistors tied to a capacitor. This signal is tied to the inverting input on a comparator and the positive input is
    connected to a mid-point voltage reference. With well matched resistors and adequately balanced drivers for the feedback signal, the resulting voltage on the cap will hover at Vref to within a very small amount making any given input produce a well
    defined bit density at the output of the modulator. I can't think of what might impact the DC drift in this setup. It is literally a closed control loop. I suppose you don't want to use a microphonic cap. Otherwise, what do you think limits these
    devices?

One reason why they might want to block DC is because it creates an offset that reduces the effective range of the AC input. These things are mostly used for audio signals, so they want to optimize that aspect. So they expect the device to be AC
    coupled and internally block any residual offset.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    -+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From boB@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Fri Nov 20 18:00:28 2020
    On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:52:25 -0800 (PST), Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will need
    to be 3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two values
    or six of a single value.

An alternative to this is to use a level shifter to provide a full 5V swing. The ratiometric 3.3V supply is no longer needed and the resistors simplify to two components of a single value. But it appears the ultimate limitation becomes the
    symmetry of the buffer switching. Imbalances in the rise/fall times or imbalances in the propagation delays will distort the impact on the integrated value on the capacitor. My clock period is 30 ns, which is not hugely larger than the timing properties
    of the buffers available in 5 volt logic.

offset drifty ?

I don't know much of how they are internally constructed. The circuit I'm using forms the sum of the input and feedback with two resistors tied to a capacitor. This signal is tied to the inverting input on a comparator and the positive input is
    connected to a mid-point voltage reference. With well matched resistors and adequately balanced drivers for the feedback signal, the resulting voltage on the cap will hover at Vref to within a very small amount making any given input produce a well
    defined bit density at the output of the modulator. I can't think of what might impact the DC drift in this setup. It is literally a closed control loop. I suppose you don't want to use a microphonic cap. Otherwise, what do you think limits these
    devices?

One reason why they might want to block DC is because it creates an offset that reduces the effective range of the AC input. These things are mostly used for audio signals, so they want to optimize that aspect. So they expect the device to be AC

I think your last thought about not wanting to compromise the AC
    range, rail to rail might be the reason. I seem to remember one of
    the delta-signal audio converters had the option of disabling that HPF
    though. Can't remember which one ? Crystal Semiconductor (Cypress
    now ?) or AKM or Analog Devices ?

At least there are low-ish sample rate D-S converters now that have
    high bit width and DC respinse though. Can't have everything I guess.

Are your input integrators /comparators internal to the FPGA ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick C@21:1/5 to boB on Fri Nov 20 22:02:45 2020
    On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 9:00:35 PM UTC-5, boB wrote:
    On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:52:25 -0800 (PST), Rick C

I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will
    need to be 3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two
    values or six of a single value.

An alternative to this is to use a level shifter to provide a full 5V swing. The ratiometric 3.3V supply is no longer needed and the resistors simplify to two components of a single value. But it appears the ultimate limitation becomes the
    symmetry of the buffer switching. Imbalances in the rise/fall times or imbalances in the propagation delays will distort the impact on the integrated value on the capacitor. My clock period is 30 ns, which is not hugely larger than the timing properties

offset drifty ?

defined bit density at the output of the modulator. I can't think of what might impact the DC drift in this setup. It is literally a closed control loop. I suppose you don't want to use a microphonic cap. Otherwise, what do you think limits these devices?

the delta-signal audio converters had the option of disabling that HPF though. Can't remember which one ? Crystal Semiconductor (Cypress

I use the AK4556 from AKM in a design and it allows the high pass filter to be disabled, not that I use that feature. The AK4556 is a pin superset of the AK4552 which does not have the ability to disable the high pass filter I believe.

LVDS receivers. The integrator is an RC as I've described. The inverting input of the comparator provides negative feedback to maintain the voltage on the cap equal to the Vref. The signal fundamental is 0.5 Hz with harmonics into the tens of Hz.
    With a 200 Hz sample rate we should have no trouble with bandwidth.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From boB@21:1/5 to gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com on Sat Nov 21 01:58:54 2020
    On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 22:02:45 -0800 (PST), Rick C <gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 9:00:35 PM UTC-5, boB wrote:
    On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:52:25 -0800 (PST), Rick C

I was drawing up the circuit in LTspice for someone to use as a guide to drawing the board level schematics. The input signals have a 0-5V range and are ratiometric to the sensor power rail, so the Vcco on the FPGA port pins for the ADC will
    need to be 3.3V, ratiometric to the 5V sensor rail. The input circuit for the ADC will require a voltage divider and the various resistors will need to have tight tolerances either in three values or multiple resistors can be combined using four of two
    values or six of a single value.

offset drifty ?

defined bit density at the output of the modulator. I can't think of what might impact the DC drift in this setup. It is literally a closed control loop. I suppose you don't want to use a microphonic cap. Otherwise, what do you think limits these devices?

the delta-signal audio converters had the option of disabling that HPF
    though. Can't remember which one ? Crystal Semiconductor (Cypress

I use the AK4556 from AKM in a design and it allows the high pass filter to be disabled, not that I use that feature. The AK4556 is a pin superset of the AK4552 which does not have the ability to disable the high pass filter I believe.

I hope that the AKM factory gets back up and running next year after
    their big fire recently

LVDS receivers. The integrator is an RC as I've described. The inverting input of the comparator provides negative feedback to maintain the voltage on the cap equal to the Vref. The signal fundamental is 0.5 Hz with harmonics into the tens of Hz.
    With a 200 Hz sample rate we should have no trouble with bandwidth.

The 16 bit 16 sample per second A/D I use for battery current sensing (Microchip) does a zero offset null in-between each sample. Nice
    feature to have.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rafael Deliano@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 22 10:24:32 2020
    Fred Harris had a go at it once:
    http://www.embeddedFORTH.de/temp/2000.pdf
    But its a different application.

Vintage:
    http://www.embeddedFORTH.de/temp/1973.pdf
    No microprocessor then ( really took off >1974),
    1 bit serial data looked attractive.
    Note that CMOS analog switches came later too.

MfG JRD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rick C@21:1/5 to Rafael Deliano on Sun Nov 22 15:10:01 2020
    On Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 4:24:35 AM UTC-5, Rafael Deliano wrote:
    Fred Harris had a go at it once:
    http://www.embeddedFORTH.de/temp/2000.pdf
    But its a different application.

Vintage:
    http://www.embeddedFORTH.de/temp/1973.pdf
    No microprocessor then ( really took off >1974),
    1 bit serial data looked attractive.
    Note that CMOS analog switches came later too.

MfG JRD

Interesting, thanks.

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
    ++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05