• Looking for Ethernet Blade Switch With Isolated Segments

From nish@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 8 15:39:22 2015
    I am looking for a 4U switch that can insert about six ports on blades,
    similar to this idea: http://www.tccomm.com/FiberOpticProducts/Products/Ethernet-Network-Devices/Ethernet-Switches/103/Industrial-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch

The key requirement though is that each inserted card act as an independent ethernet switch. I don't want to hassle with defining VLANs that isolate
    ports on each blade.

My application is a firewall, with many segments. Currently we stack a lot
    of 1U and 2U ethernet switches, and the real estate for all of those
    switches is expensive in terms of rack space. A 4U box with eight
    insertable blades would give me eight ethernet segments to play with in an extremely condensed space. Does anyone make this?

Alternately, I could look for rackmountable ethernet switches that are about 1/2 U, if those exist.

nish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From nish@21:1/5 to nish on Tue Dec 8 21:27:22 2015
    "nish" <nisha@nunya.org> wrote in message news:4e-dnUnUt-m39_rLnZ2dnUVZ5tSdnZ2d@giganews.com...
    I am looking for a 4U switch that can insert about six ports on blades, >similar to this idea:
    http://www.tccomm.com/FiberOpticProducts/Products/Ethernet-Network-Devices/Ethernet-Switches/103/Industrial-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch

The key requirement though is that each inserted card act as an
    independent ethernet switch. I don't want to hassle with defining VLANs
    that isolate ports on each blade.

My application is a firewall, with many segments. Currently we stack a
    lot of 1U and 2U ethernet switches, and the real estate for all of those switches is expensive in terms of rack space. A 4U box with eight insertable blades would give me eight ethernet segments to play with in an extremely condensed space. Does anyone make this?

Alternately, I could look for rackmountable ethernet switches that are
    about 1/2 U, if those exist.

Looks like a good solution might be 5 to 8 port industrial ethernet switches that mount on a DIN rail. That gives you the entire depth of a server
    cabinet to mount 4U high switches, side by side.

I also noticed that most of these are DC powered devices, and the DC powered ethernet switches appear to use about 4 watts of energy versus closer to 40 watts for equivalent AC powered products.

nish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)