• How to do BERT testing on an Ethernet?

From Tyler VZW@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 6 11:38:01 2016
    satellite_team wrote:

Folks,

I need to perform the equivilent of a bit error rate test on an
    Ethernet segment running through a synchronous serial satellite modem.
    In the old days of synch serial data comm one would simply use a synch
    serial BERT device and generate a pattern and check for pattern sync,
    slips and BER figures.

Now I need to make the same type of measurments on an Ethernet. I have
    found software which essentially pings over an extended period of time
    and reports packet loss percentage and such. But this does not
    translate to a true bit error rate.

Can anyone suggest a method, device or software to achieve this goal?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Mitch,

I would recommend a Viavi/JDSU or EXFO test set. They are designed to do this kind of testing.
    There are other cheaper alternatives out there as well. They will generate a constant stream of traffic and analyze it.
    You can test Head to Head or to a Ethernet Loopback (or loopback device such
    as an EtherNID).
    I understand why this testing is necessary, for those that do not get it. A BERT is still the gold standard for establishing network reliability.
    If you or a customer is paying for a 6 nines link it is a prolonged BERT that determines if they are getting what they are paying for.
    A RFC-2544, Y.1564, True SAM, and other test are helpful but a BER test will find problems they will not.
    This kind of test seems very necessary for a Ethernet link that goes through a satellite.

Tyler

--
    posted via http://forums.cabling-design.com/ethernet/how-to-do-bert-testing-on-an-ethernet-9041-.htm
    using Cabling-Design's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to comp.dcom.lans.ethernet and other telecom groups

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)