• Re: Laptop F8 Key When Debugging

From Mike Pike@21:1/5 to Patrick Finucane on Sat Nov 25 02:08:40 2023
    On Sunday, 20 January 2019 at 18:09:34 UTC, Patrick Finucane wrote:
    On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 12:57:19 PM UTC-5, Albert Kallal (Access MVP) wrote:
    Hum, no idea. There are 2 delete keys. Perhaps the main delete key also requires the FN key to be held down. If that is the case, then I would "disable" this whole FN key switch that is going on here.

This seems like a particular "hardware" setup in regards to the given computer you have - not a "general" computer issue. So, can't really offer much here as a solution.

Regards,
    Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    You were spot on, Albert. If I press the FN key and the Del key next to the numeric keypad it fails. However, it does it correctly on Del next to the Function keys. Yeah.

Hello guys, reading this did not help me directly , but prompted me to Google the right question.
    On my Dell Inspiron 7400 , debug has always worked perfectly - F8 single stepping in XL debug!
    My charging port or has a bent pin and despite the charger powering the machine , my battery was not charging.
    I replaced the battery and had the same problem with a new one. I bought a USB-C charger and use the Thunderbolt 4 port and the ne battery is charging - as will the old one I suspect - but I have a spare so for less than £50 I am back in business.

I messed with the BIOS to force the machine to charge the battery when investigating the problem!
    I set it to charge from 65% up to 90% and of course it charged to 90% whereas it used to charge to 100%.

The bottom line is that I reset the BIOS to factory settings - and ever since when I use F8 in debug it goes to the Screen Display! I can single step clicking F8 with the mouse , or by FN and F8 together, as you all found above.

TO SINGLE STEP WITH USING F8 (+ ALL FUNCTION KEYS) YOU CAN TOGGLE THE FN KEY DEFAULT ACTION.

On my DELL it is FN KEY and ESCAPE together!! I may have accidentally done that or it is the factory default?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)