• Converting 32-bit to 64-bit

From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 2 14:53:19 2022
    I figure the time is right to move to 64-bit versions of most things, including my new Office 365 installation.

I have some (crucial!) databases built years ago in Access 2013, which use linked tables, so it's the "application" part I'm wary of wrecking. I can find guidance on updating the VBA, but what about forms and reports?

My database has the following References:
    Visual Basic For Applications
    Microsoft Access 15.0 Object Library
    OLE Automation
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library
    Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
    Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

Are there equivalents in 64-bit Office 365?

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Keith Tizzard@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Mon Jul 4 04:36:36 2022
    I am not able to provide a full answer although I have progressively updated databases from early versions of Access to Office 365 over a number of years.

One feature that you should be aware of is the use of 32 bit library functions. You will need to add the keyword 'PtrSafe' e.g.

Private Declare PtrSafe Function RegOpenKey Lib "advapi32" Alias "RegOpenKeyA" _
    (ByVal hKey As Long, ByVal lpValueName As String, phkResult As Long) As Long

Look at the article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/reference/user-interface-help/ptrsafe-keyword

Good luck

On Saturday, 2 July 2022 at 14:53:24 UTC+1, Philip Herlihy wrote:
    I figure the time is right to move to 64-bit versions of most things, including
    my new Office 365 installation.

I have some (crucial!) databases built years ago in Access 2013, which use linked tables, so it's the "application" part I'm wary of wrecking. I can find
    guidance on updating the VBA, but what about forms and reports?

My database has the following References:
    Visual Basic For Applications
    Microsoft Access 15.0 Object Library
    OLE Automation
    Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.1 Library
    Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
    Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)

Are there equivalents in 64-bit Office 365?

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 5 12:01:17 2022
    In article <ea5bbad3-e707-4ad4-b5b8-0872c693b821n@googlegroups.com>, Keith Tizzard wrote...

I am not able to provide a full answer although I have progressively updated databases from early versions of Access to Office 365 over a number of years.

One feature that you should be aware of is the use of 32 bit library functions. You will need to add the keyword 'PtrSafe' e.g.

Private Declare PtrSafe Function RegOpenKey Lib "advapi32" Alias "RegOpenKeyA" _

Look at the article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/reference/user-interface-help/ptrsafe-keyword

Good luck

I have some (crucial!) databases built years ago in Access 2013, which use linked tables, so it's the "application" part I'm wary of wrecking. I can find

Phil, London

Thanks, Keith. I was just returning here to report on progress. I did find references to the PtrSafe qualifier in three YouTube videos on the subject (though the other aspects I was concerned about weren't mentioned).

On a machine with 32-bit Office I copied files to a "Test" folder, and re- linked them. I installed Office 365 (64-bit) on a new machine, and shared copies of the files via OneDrive**. Everything just worked on the new machine (to my surprise). Now, I'm not using any external controls or add-ins, so there are no "Declare" statements in my code. 64-bit Access seems to have everything needed for my code out-of-the-box. I still have some testing to do before I start using it for live data, but it looks good - and has been much less trouble than expected!

It remains to be seen whether I can work with the same data on machines with different 'bitness' versions of Access installed, given the database was developed on a 32-bit machine.

**OneDrive has an annoying habit of creating the local (synchronised) folder with different %USERNAME%s on each machine despite using an identical Microsoft Account. On my desktop the %ONEDRIVE% path is C:\Users\xyz_000, giving a OneDrive path of C:\Users\xyz_000\OneDrive, while on the new machine it's C: \Users\xyz and c:\Users\xyz\OneDrive respectively. So the linking (via Linked Table Manager)done on one machine isn't valid for the other. I solved this with a Junction Point (mklink /J xyz xyz_000) which creates an equivalent path to the files on the new machine. (Note that OneDrive synchronisation is WAY too slow to use for sharing a database between users.)

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron Paii@21:1/5 to Philip Herlihy on Tue Jul 5 11:47:46 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 6:01:22 AM UTC-5, Philip Herlihy wrote:
    In article <ea5bbad3-e707-4ad4...@googlegroups.com>, Keith
    Tizzard wrote...

Look at the article:

Good luck

I have some (crucial!) databases built years ago in Access 2013, which use
    linked tables, so it's the "application" part I'm wary of wrecking. I can find

Phil, London

Thanks, Keith. I was just returning here to report on progress. I did find references to the PtrSafe qualifier in three YouTube videos on the subject (though the other aspects I was concerned about weren't mentioned).

On a machine with 32-bit Office I copied files to a "Test" folder, and re- linked them. I installed Office 365 (64-bit) on a new machine, and shared copies of the files via OneDrive**. Everything just worked on the new machine
    (to my surprise). Now, I'm not using any external controls or add-ins, so there are no "Declare" statements in my code. 64-bit Access seems to have everything needed for my code out-of-the-box. I still have some testing to do
    before I start using it for live data, but it looks good - and has been much less trouble than expected!

It remains to be seen whether I can work with the same data on machines with different 'bitness' versions of Access installed, given the database was developed on a 32-bit machine.

**OneDrive has an annoying habit of creating the local (synchronised) folder with different %USERNAME%s on each machine despite using an identical Microsoft
    Account. On my desktop the %ONEDRIVE% path is C:\Users\xyz_000, giving a OneDrive path of C:\Users\xyz_000\OneDrive, while on the new machine it's C: \Users\xyz and c:\Users\xyz\OneDrive respectively. So the linking (via Linked
    Table Manager)done on one machine isn't valid for the other. I solved this with a Junction Point (mklink /J xyz xyz_000) which creates an equivalent path
    to the files on the new machine. (Note that OneDrive synchronisation is WAY too slow to use for sharing a database between users.)

--

Phil, London

Access normally has no issues between 32bit and 64bit. The problems come from 3rd party controls including Microsoft's standard controls like the tree control. You have already found the issue with PtrSafe. Other Office programs like Excel also may have
    issues with custom controls in a 64bit install. The backend database should only be stored on a Microsoft share, not on something like OneDrive; it's file sync is incompatible with a shared database file.

Search "Access database on OneDrive"; one of the 1st hits will be from Microsoft.

IMO, unless you are dealing with very large Word or Excel there is very little reason to use 64bit office.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 6 11:59:37 2022
    In article <d804cb13-1227-4d3f-9013-59a13ae929bcn@googlegroups.com>, Ron Paii wrote...

Tizzard wrote...

Look at the article:

Good luck

Phil, London

On a machine with 32-bit Office I copied files to a "Test" folder, and re- linked them. I installed Office 365 (64-bit) on a new machine, and shared copies of the files via OneDrive**. Everything just worked on the new machine
    (to my surprise). Now, I'm not using any external controls or add-ins, so there are no "Declare" statements in my code. 64-bit Access seems to have everything needed for my code out-of-the-box. I still have some testing to do
    before I start using it for live data, but it looks good - and has been much
    less trouble than expected!

It remains to be seen whether I can work with the same data on machines with
    different 'bitness' versions of Access installed, given the database was developed on a 32-bit machine.

**OneDrive has an annoying habit of creating the local (synchronised) folder
    with different %USERNAME%s on each machine despite using an identical Microsoft
    Account. On my desktop the %ONEDRIVE% path is C:\Users\xyz_000, giving a OneDrive path of C:\Users\xyz_000\OneDrive, while on the new machine it's C:
    \Users\xyz and c:\Users\xyz\OneDrive respectively. So the linking (via Linked
    Table Manager)done on one machine isn't valid for the other. I solved this with a Junction Point (mklink /J xyz xyz_000) which creates an equivalent path
    to the files on the new machine. (Note that OneDrive synchronisation is WAY too slow to use for sharing a database between users.)

--

Phil, London

Access normally has no issues between 32bit and 64bit. The problems come from 3rd party controls including Microsoft's standard controls like the tree control. You have already found the issue with PtrSafe. Other Office programs like Excel also may
    have issues with custom controls in a 64bit install. The backend database should only be stored on a Microsoft share, not on something like OneDrive; it's file sync
    is incompatible with a shared database file.

Search "Access database on OneDrive"; one of the 1st hits will be from Microsoft.

IMO, unless you are dealing with very large Word or Excel there is very little reason to use 64bit office.

Thanks for this; it has certainly been easier than I'd anticipated - I haven't even needed to use PrtSafe in my code.

You're right to flag the potential problem using Access linking tables via OneDrive, and I did think it only responsible to include a comment about that in my post. However, in my situation the database is used only by me, and at the time of use the linked databases are both in the same local folder. That folder is synchronised via OneDrive, so when I move to another machine (typically tablet and desktop) I ensure synchronisation is complete before launching. That's a far cry from the situation where concurrent users are linked to the same tables.

I did wonder about whether there would be any point in installing the 64-bit versions, and did an online search. Microsoft's advice used to be against the 64-bit version unless you knew you needed it (and most don't). But that's changed, and the "default" installation is now the 64-bit. Actually, it's hard to know whether a spreadsheet (likeliest thing to hit the 32-bit limit, I figure) is "large" or not. Generally, I like to go with the flow, and the trend is clearly towards 64-bit applications.

Hmm. I have one file I've been adding rows to every few days for well over a decade. So I Googled "excel 32 bit limit" and found the maximum file size is 2 GB. How big is my file? 466KB. The memory limit is 4GB (of course). My file's working set is under 84KB. So I've a few months grace yet, then...

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 6 12:25:50 2022
    In article <MPG.3d2f7b759499ca19899ff@news.eternal-september.org>, Philip Herlihy wrote...

In article <d804cb13-1227-4d3f-9013-59a13ae929bcn@googlegroups.com>, Ron Paii wrote...

Tizzard wrote...

Look at the article:

Good luck

Phil, London

Thanks, Keith. I was just returning here to report on progress. I did find
    references to the PtrSafe qualifier in three YouTube videos on the subject
    (though the other aspects I was concerned about weren't mentioned).

On a machine with 32-bit Office I copied files to a "Test" folder, and re-
    linked them. I installed Office 365 (64-bit) on a new machine, and shared copies of the files via OneDrive**. Everything just worked on the new machine
    before I start using it for live data, but it looks good - and has been much
    less trouble than expected!

It remains to be seen whether I can work with the same data on machines with
    different 'bitness' versions of Access installed, given the database was developed on a 32-bit machine.

**OneDrive has an annoying habit of creating the local (synchronised) folder
    with different %USERNAME%s on each machine despite using an identical Microsoft
    Account. On my desktop the %ONEDRIVE% path is C:\Users\xyz_000, giving a OneDrive path of C:\Users\xyz_000\OneDrive, while on the new machine it's C:
    \Users\xyz and c:\Users\xyz\OneDrive respectively. So the linking (via Linked
    Table Manager)done on one machine isn't valid for the other. I solved this
    with a Junction Point (mklink /J xyz xyz_000) which creates an equivalent path
    to the files on the new machine. (Note that OneDrive synchronisation is WAY
    too slow to use for sharing a database between users.)

--

Phil, London

Access normally has no issues between 32bit and 64bit. The problems come from 3rd party controls including Microsoft's standard controls like the tree control. You have already found the issue with PtrSafe. Other Office programs like Excel also may
    have issues with custom controls in a 64bit install. The backend database should only be stored on a Microsoft share, not on something like OneDrive; it's file
    sync
    is incompatible with a shared database file.

Thanks for this; it has certainly been easier than I'd anticipated - I haven't
    even needed to use PrtSafe in my code.

You're right to flag the potential problem using Access linking tables via OneDrive, and I did think it only responsible to include a comment about that in my post. However, in my situation the database is used only by me, and at the time of use the linked databases are both in the same local folder. That folder is synchronised via OneDrive, so when I move to another machine (typically tablet and desktop) I ensure synchronisation is complete before launching. That's a far cry from the situation where concurrent users are linked to the same tables.

I did wonder about whether there would be any point in installing the 64-bit versions, and did an online search. Microsoft's advice used to be against the
    64-bit version unless you knew you needed it (and most don't). But that's changed, and the "default" installation is now the 64-bit. Actually, it's hard
    to know whether a spreadsheet (likeliest thing to hit the 32-bit limit, I figure) is "large" or not. Generally, I like to go with the flow, and the trend is clearly towards 64-bit applications.

Hmm. I have one file I've been adding rows to every few days for well over a decade. So I Googled "excel 32 bit limit" and found the maximum file size is 2
    GB. How big is my file? 466KB. The memory limit is 4GB (of course). My file's working set is under 84KB. So I've a few months grace yet, then...

For those interested in the topic, here is Microsoft's current advice: https://bit.ly/3bQd9dC

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cindy Krist@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 6 06:20:34 2022
    What if your code determines whether you have 32- or 64-bit (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/concepts/getting-started/64-bit-visual-basic-for-applications-overview )?

#If VBA7 Then
    Declare PtrSafe Function...
    #Else
    Declare Function...
    #EndIf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Philip Herlihy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 6 17:46:40 2022
    In article <190139d6-ea63-4c49-aa00-8320a276a2c5n@googlegroups.com>, Cindy Krist wrote...

What if your code determines whether you have 32- or 64-bit (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/concepts/getting-started/64-bit-visual-basic-for-applications-overview )?

#If VBA7 Then
    Declare PtrSafe Function...
    #Else
    Declare Function...
    #EndIf

Yes, I've seen that - thanks. My own code doesn't bring in any external components, so doesn't need the Declare statements. If it did, that is certainly the recommended approach, I understand.

--

Phil, London

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05